New Launcher Checking Manifest Constantly

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mered4, May 9, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Every time I start the game, I have to check the manifest (verify files, I presume).

This considerably slows the time it takes to rejoin a crashed game.....and it's really annoying. Instead of a 10 second start, it's a 2 minute start.

Is there a reason for this?
    Anyone else know?
    websterx01 likes this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I finally gave up on the extra clicks and waiting; On OS X the launcher maintains the same .app that I could download in full, so I just made direct shortcuts and only use the launcher for updating. Not sure if other platforms have the same arrangement.
    mered4 likes this.
  3. rabidfrog

rabidfrog Member

Same problem here on windows 7, and unfortunately its stopping me from wanting to play the game, with such a long wait before I can. :(
  4. Paappa

Paappa Member

Same here. Windows vista 64-bit. I have noticed that it wants to check manifest once per day. After first launch it does not update anymore if you open it again on same day.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Same here. Quite annoying. I've been using PAMM or even Steam to launch because of it.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I really recommend to directly start pa.exe generally. No downside to it whatsoever.

EDIT:
    I have never had any issues with the launcher though, does not take more than 2 or 3 seconds to check the manifest usually. But starting pa.exe directly still is faster ;)
    thetrophysystem and lokiCML like this.
  7. acey195

acey195 Member

I also had this problem, but I had the game still installed via the old launcher.
    After I removed the old install, the checking of the manifest of the new launcher is practically done instantly.

Hope that helps ;)
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Have a similar issue where the launcher every once a while takes 2 to 3 minutes to check the manifest. I don't know if it's grabbing a massive hash file in order to have the checksums present verify the files and to see if there's an update.

edit: That 2 to 3 minutes happens multiple times a day was it started. As cola_colin pointed out you can create a shortcut from PA.exe to your desktop as a workaround for now.
  9. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I've been experiencing the same issue since the last minor patch. The launcher will check the manifest for 1-2 minutes every single time when starting the game. Win7 64bit, standalone version of the game.
  10. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

Same here for me. I'll try nuking my installation and starting fresh and reporting back here.
  11. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I almost never play anymore and it's almost entirely because I have to wait ten minutes for the launcher to check the manifest every time I play. I don't have an old version installed, btw.
  12. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I just use the pa.exe directly because like cola says it is instant.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I would never understand why someone would avoid playing a game because the launcher is slow, if a straight-load .exe exists. I used to have the problem with C&C games loading from the autorun, and I eventually just decided to make shortcuts to the direct launchers. Later, for Red Alert 2 and Renegade, I got special launchers that skip the intro movies.

Currently, the 45 second startup for Totem Arts Renegade X is long considering some crashes between matches. I didn't refuse to play the game. Google'd it, apparently unreal games can work with deleted video files, so I deleted them and now I get 8 additional seconds of black screen but an instant load into the match itself.
  14. eratosthenes

Well see, I work five days a week at a research institute and two days a week at a restaurant. All the while I've been going through the admissions process for University of Pennsylvania and catching up on my calculus skills. That's in addition to, you know, eating, sleeping, washing clothes, and doing dishes, so I might only have one or two hours of free time and using nearly a quarter of that time waiting for a game to load doesn't appeal to me. Then again, I'm wasting time posting here, lol.

As they say, "Humans aren't rational creatures, they're rationalizing creatures."
    websterx01 likes this.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I can dig it. I just don't rid a game with a long load time. Since 2003, I crack them to bypass the intruding load screens. Or not require the disk. Or whatever. There was a longest time back in 2004 where C&C Renegade sat in my disk tray 24-7 and 1 disk tray so it sort of hogged it. I found out about cracking it to bypass requiring game disk, then data disk, then game disk again, each time to load, as well as bypassing needing 1 disk at all, and I never looked back. I love having a disk, that is how you install stuff. I hate having to flip 2 disks around to load a game. Generally, I hate time consuming things, but that is why I remove the loading videos for RenX UDK, so instead of 45 seconds of video I get 13 seconds of black screen then I appear match-in-progress.

RenX has a badass 18 second intro movie though, for as short as it is.
  16. eratosthenes

I dug around in the install folder and found the .exe and am just going to use that from now on, unless I know there's a patch to be had.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Can I have your knowledge? Civ II: Test of Time used to do that to me :p

RAID 0 SSD FTW! Mine takes like 10 seconds! :p
  18. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I also have an SSD, but the manifest check is usually five seconds or less. I skipped the manifest check by pressing "Verify" on the launcher, then pressing "Play." After the first manifest check, the exe starts instantly.
  19. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

4 to 5s myself too. RAID 0 SSD is useless, performance wise, for desktop machines. Anyway, by using PAMM, I don't use the Launcher at all except for upgrades purpose.
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Who knows how long :p SSDs sure are good though.

And yes, RAID 0 SSD's are pointless, but the make it into a single drive and can increase performance in file transfer stuff. Plus it's just cool!

I always verify as well, usually I download the update and then play another day.