Let's talk about trees.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Clopse, May 26, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Perhaps if reclaiming didn't cost energy then they're be a more interesting gameplay element?

Definitely needs to be made obvious when you're building on trees though
    ace63 likes this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I think reclaiming taking energy is a bad choice anyway.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

So we like the idea of trees but not necessarily at their current state. Completely blocking pathfinding could cause factories to pile up. Some maps have 80% forest so if they block pathfinding it would be like playing TA in mapped mode
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

One interesting fact about trees is that tanks seem to have their shots vlocked by trees in a forest while grenadiers can shoot over trees to hit their target. This actually does affect strategy and I want to keep it. I just wish trees automatically cleared when construction started. Reclaiming takes too much time and you really have to zoom in and look closely before building. I prefer to just throw down a line of factories and go do something else.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Personally I have opposite feeling. I suppose trees need higher density, but they have to appear in groups with more free space between those groups for pathing and buildings. It's actually how they looks like in Kickstarter trailer and I really like that.

So I personally feel that trees have to block pathing entirely for some kind of units and when burning have to damage a everything around quite a lot.
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

How can a full metal robot or tank ever get blocked by a tree lol. It will crush it like it does to everything. I think its going to look stupid to see a sea of metal tanks blocked by a forest. Its possibly much cooler to let them ride over trees and they fall down in the direction the tank pushes it so you can actually trace paths trough forest into someones base.
  7. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

simple solution i already suggested somewhere: Tanks should roll over trees, maybe get slowed down a little bit. Bots maybe not. Commander should of course walk over trees as well.
    Fabbers should reclaim whole areas of trees instead of single trees.
  8. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

From what I've seen its a bit random depending on spread and density of the trees but generally the fire does spread evenly outwards in a circle.