Creating Blitz games for friends to join

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Banji, January 28, 2011.

1. Banji

Banji New Member

Hi all, I've been wondering about how to start up a server just for me and some friends to play (not dedicated).

Now I have read and know that I have to forward ports or something or other, so I do know that this question has been answered numerous times. However, I have yet to see a quick guide on how to actually go about forwarding ports, for such un tech-savvy people as myself.

Just needed this clarified as every thread I've seen regarding this issue, the person asking the question magically knows what port forwarding is and goes on their merry way : /

So yeah, if anyone could post a quick little summary of how to do everything needed to run these little games, it would be much appreciated ^^

PS: I'm using Windows 7 :3
  2. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

3. Banji

Banji New Member

uhh thanks for that site, I found my router and all but in the game list monday night combat isnt there...

...So what do i do? : /

EDIT: Scratch that I noticed something I hadn't read lol
  4. Banji

Banji New Member

I'd still like if somebody could go out of their way to post a small step by step guide for the solution to the whole blitz issue, because surely not everyone is tech savvy on it :|

Is Uber going to patch something in to fix this simply for everyone, or am I just hopeful? =o
  5. Madz

Madz New Member

Seconded, me and my friends have the same problem.

First, portfoward.com is a bit useless, it teaches the basics sure, but it doesn't list the ports you need for MNC, and the page for my modem at least was grossly out of date.

It also has a program to detect if your ports are truly open, I followed the steps on the site, used the program and it didn't detect the ports open, alright, the next step is to BUY a 25$ program that can do that for you, what the hell.

The game is great but it is jarring how beta it still feels.
  6. Banji

Banji New Member

Pretty much how I feel after going through that whole ordeal :/

Here's hoping there's a way Uber can fix this without so many people missing out on such a great mode.
  7. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

The ports for MNC have been posted in many threads, but here you go:

TCP 27000-27050
    UDP 27000-27050
    TCP 7777-7780
    UDP 7777-7780
  8. Banji

Banji New Member

At above ^

That's not the problem I'm trying to get across here. I'm asking for directions on HOW to APPLY the port changes.

I DID state that i know the ports have been listed, I and many others I'm sure just do not know how to actually DO port forwarding : |

So yeah, anyone have any help? : /
  9. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

A good first step would be to find out what router you have and what firmware is installed on it. Maybe somebody here happens to have the same setup and can help you. If not I'd try to find a tutorial for that exact router on Google.
  10. grimbar

grimbar New Member

11. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

PortForward.com is good, and every game is the same basically, just different ports, k, k??
  12. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

Short of going to your manufacturer's site and downloading a manual for your router, I'm not sure how much more can be done aside from checking google as has already been suggested.

Sorry, posted the ports for Madz's benefit.
  13. R234

R234 New Member

I thought those ports were for dedicated servers, or are they supposed to work for listen servers too?

Because if so I gotta say that didn't work at all for me, my friends still can't join me. I really shouldn't have to deal with that kinda hassle anyway. What a drag...
  14. peteisfat

peteisfat New Member

Make sure your not joining friends' games through the Steam overlay, the only way I've been able to join games is to search through the server browser and sort it by host.
  15. R234

R234 New Member

Our games don't even appear in the server browser.
  16. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

Yep, to host any kind of a game those ports should be open.

One of my DSL providers in the past gave me a modem with a built-in firewall that they didn't tell me about. Other than the possibility of that or Windows Firewall, I got nothing.
  17. R234

R234 New Member

My Windows firewall is off, it interfered with Mcafee's, and I tried to deactivate this one as well, no dice. As for the modem, I'm not sure if it has a built-in firewall, that's something I hadn't thought of. I should have a look at it when I have time, maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: Alright, going all out (i.e. DMZ) we at least got confirmation that it is possible for us to host a game on our router. Here's hoping we can find a less radical solution eventually.