Galactic War...Easy?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, May 24, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very good. So when I started playing Galactic Annihilation I was a little concerned that the AI would beat me so hard that my monitor would smack me in the face. However after about four matches, I've had no trouble at all with the AI. Even with the limited tech options.

Now it's entirely possible that there was some difficulty setting in the beginning but I honestly can't remember if there was. So if there wasn't...what's going on?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The AI is a little derpy.

It might not know how to fight with the limited arsenal.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Also the AI is meant to be easier at the start, and get harder the closer you get to the "boss"
  4. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

There are 3 difficulty options if i remember right. And yeah, it is easy to beat non-boss AI in ~7 minutes
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Sorian said the AI is broken. It always seems to go out broken. I thought it was a conspiracy theory to make people play more multiplayer, but it does seem a little odd in a single-player focused update.
  6. Nothinglessness

Nothinglessness Member

It bothers me when people call a factions main system a boss battle. It's not!@!@!@!
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Seems like the same issue as last time he broke it: doesn't build factories as it's supposed to.
  8. Geers

What usually happens is I'll set up a little economy, build about six factories and spew out a whole punch of tanks and infernos (roughly twenty each, my strategy on deciding when to strike is "that blob looks big enough"). At that point (roughly 7-10 minutes in) I just steamroll over his extractors and generators with at most four factories hanging around. There's usually a few enemy offensive units but they don't stand up to a wall of infernos.

Also there seems to be a massive over-abundance of metal spots.
  9. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Yesterday, Sorian said that the AI is bugged.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Lol did it help that I used quotation marks? If he is the faction leader, is he not a boss? ;)
  11. byaafacehead

byaafacehead New Member

Personally I find the GW almost impossible to beat... due to the game constantly crashing during matches. :(
    BUt I do think the AI is less difficult, at least on hard. Perhaps I should try the highest tier.
  12. fraxtion

fraxtion Member

It did impress me though. I witnessed my sub commander hold its ground against 3 other commanders. (Meanwhile, I faced the fourth commander alone while my other sub commander made a base on every single planet in the system.) They really couldn't touch him or his base.

Basically, that sub commander did what I can't. (Al AIs were normal difficulty.)
  13. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Just beat it on annihilator difficulty, and it seemed too easy. I never once thought "I might lose". I almost feel like I was not even attacked. In fact I don't think I was attacked ... at all. Maybe I did not give them time to attack me. :/ (all games including faction leader fights were about 10 min or under, with the exception of the last faction leader where it was under 30 because of him moving around in an Astraeus)

Most of the games It was just me. However at the end I collected 3->4 sub coms to fight the faction leaders.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  14. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

What do you guys think about some of my ideas here? : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...d-here-are-my-thoughts-and-suggestions.59984/

A lot of them would help the balance out the difficulty, especially late game. For example, the closer to the faction strong hold, the higher the danger status. The higher the danger status, the more pre-established outposts or defenses the AI will start with.

Also, seperate tech from the card system. Make it so that you find them and unlock it for good, but you have to build that fabrication facility on each planet in the galaxy you capture. That planet will then "pulse" 1 or 2 jumps, and let you build those items where you go. This adds strategy to the galaxy, it scales it, and opens TONS of tactical choices. I want air to fight this faction leader, but if I build an air facility here to support my attack, that air facility is my only link to another area.. so I'll have to go air only. Do I want to do that? Just a basic example, it'd require playing with to get the right feel.
  15. laminblake

laminblake New Member

IMO the issue is that this game's tactics are unique. This game is the first game i've ever played that a spherical map. Imagine trying to code an AI to build, defend, and attack based on the fact that there are no map boundaries. Then add onto the fact that there are multiple spheres you can be on at the same time. I won't expect the AI to be smart until much further into the development and into production.
    I actually created a turtle base, sat and watched the AI do its work. It built up around the planet quite well albeit a bit slow, but then i noticed it never attacked my base directly. The armies simply were doing random paths and if they got close to my base they approached and turned away.
  16. Geers

This is exactly how I feel so far, although I haven't beaten it.

The AI outside Galactic Warfare is fine though. I think igncom is right, it doesn't know how to deal with a limited arsenal.
  17. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I beat GW with an average of 5 to 10 min a game..... a bit easy if you ask me.
  18. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Yeah - i had it on "normal" difficulty first too, and it was as statet, beat GW, startet new one on "annihilate", but it just doesnt differ much.
    But was there a patch? Now i cant have more than 1 subcom
  19. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. In between the painful lag spikes and freezes it becomes painfully obvious that the AI is terrible. I like this game a lot but why it's currently classed as "gamma" and not beta is beyond me because this is incredibly unfinished. I had a game where I simply walled myself off and let the sub commanders win for me while I got something to eat. I came back to find that essentially nothing had happened in my absence.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

My record game was 4:03 minutes long :p

Yeah the AI is buggy, Sorian (the AI master) knows this. You can easily see it by the amount of buildings the AI builds, a lot of energy and a lot of mexes before it starts building a factory, so lots of waste economy.
    It will get fixed in the next patch he said ;)