Commander Prices: Too much?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, May 23, 2014.

1. soliderfighter

soliderfighter Member

I don't see the problem...... I don't care about those commanders anyway..... Also many games that cost money have things that cost real life money in it. Also you can think of it as a donation, games like minecraft, tf2, garry's mod, have community servers and some of them accept donations, so you bought a game then you bought something spezial for a server (if the donation gave you something cool in the game, and normally the stuff you get isn't OP), just that this time you donate to get a commander that can be used for ever.

But on the other hand which I don't understand yet, is those commanders you can buy the commanders you got for highter pledges in the kickstarter??

Also is there a problem?? If you want to spend more money on a game then you do it, if not you don't, I've never seen a huge discussion about something like this before... But reffer to games where you donate to people that spend money on hosting a server (or host it from home computer or whatever) where you donate to them and not the people that made the game in any possible way.

Just my thoughts about the topic.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Ok if you want to be like that then I'll just restate what I'm against. I utterly loathe the idea of a dev charging more than $5 for a single model, texture, weapon, item or whatever it is. I do not care if people want to refer to that as dlc or not. And this practice of spending more than that for a single item/model/character/building, should go die.

$1000 is a lot of money, but the website is called kickstarter, not invest in. (people kickstart game devs there, they don't invest in the company) So other than what was stated in the rewards the people who gave that money should expect nothing more and nothing less.

Edit: sorry if I sound a bit agitated, been a long day for me. (lots of work)
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I am not sure if this was stated already (I honestly am being lazy and don't feel like reading the whole thread :) ) but these are special High tier KC backers designed Commanders. I imagine the current prices will not be the common price range. I believe $1-$5 Commander will be the average. I also could be wrong these are only the starting 3 so that could also be another reason for the high price of entry.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

But why? Why is $5 magically acceptable, but $5.01, or $5.50, or $6 isn't?

Have you ever considered that it's a bit convenient to accept DLC of a price determined by you and you only? If you allow $5 DLC, what's wrong with someone else being okay with $15 DLC? Why are your opinions more important than theirs?
  5. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

They're not more important than that of others and I never said they were. It's just my opinion in the end. I never said I was speaking for everyone else.

What I have said so far is my personal opinion and mine alone. I may be trying to convince people to my point of view, but that does not mean that the views of others is invalid. Your opinion is as valid as mine and we are both entitled to state and defend them.
    Gorbles likes this.
  6. dynamicecho

dynamicecho New Member

My purchase remains, I don't think they're limited time and I certainly wouldn't buy any if they were. I think that the system may be a wee bit buggy right now.
  7. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Just because something is cosmetic doesn't mean Uber should be critizied for prices and certainly should people never feel pressured to NOT talk about issues regarding these types of things.

The difference is that in LoL the different prices have reasoning behind them, a 15$ is 15$ not just because the champion has a new model, but also now Effects and voices, maybe even animations as well. Right now, despite the different prices the PA Commanders on offer have nothing different on offer, you don't get "More" out of the 15$ Commander compared to the 10$ one. This weird teir-ing is just that, weird.

The catch is that we simply have no idea when it comes to trying to answer those questions. I still don't think it's unreasonable to discuss these prices because honestly we have no guarantee the prices will go down or even change. Of course it's hard to know anything because there really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the pricing so far.

No, the prices are comparable but you get a lot more value out of the 10-15$ you spent in LoL compared to PA. The skins that cost 10-15$ have more than just the Model's mesh being changed and also get things like new effects, voice work and maybe even animations as well on top of being MUCH more prominent and viable in-game.

That's not relevant. It is a wholly different set of circumstances going on.

Mike
  9. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

To just kinda answer the original post: Commanders can often take a week or more of an artist's time.

These new Commanders specifically have been built in collaboration with our custom Commander tier supporters. These are their ideas made into game form, which is pretty cool. Also pretty cool? We're sharing a portion of each sale with them. We think this is a neat way to give back to some of our biggest backers. And as far as I know, we might be the first KS game to do something alongside these lines.

tl;dr: we're super greedy for offering optional skins.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You even oppose skins?

I'm perfectly fine with skins in P2P games. Anything that effects gameplay? Strongly oppose.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Thanks for the comment on this Brad- it's nice to know you're sharing proceeds with the owners as well. One thing that people are finding confusing is the prices are different, I'm assuming the backers involved get a say in how much they want them to be sold for?
  12. brianpurkiss

You also stare at the LoL skins for the entire match.

In PA, you only ever see the icon.
  13. brianpurkiss

They're definitely not 24 hours only.

It's probably a bug. But if you don't see your Commander, contact support.

http://support.uberent.com/
  14. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

To be honest I found the prices surprising to say the least.
    For me they are way to expensive to ever consider buying one. At the most I might spend 5 dollars if the commander happens to be exceptionally cool, and the hours I spend playing PA actually warrant investing more money.

Killing Floor had the right idea when it came to new models for people to use I think.
    I don't dislike the idea of cosmetic items being purchaseable because in the end, they are just that: cosmetic. But in KF's case for 6 bucks or so you wouldn't get a single character, you'd actually get a character pack that usually had about 4 models in it with a specific theme. I might have purchased the new commanders if they had all been rolled into one pack for the price of 6 euro's or something.
  15. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Well I guess this is more of a "I want to help the devs, lets buy some stuff" kind of thing. I dont see any other reason for buying one of the commanders. But since they give no advantages and arent "special" in any way im actualy ok with that. They have to finance supporting the game after release somehow and this is probably the fairest way to do it.
    I was very worried about micro transactions in the game, but if they realy only sell skins, i have no problem with it.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Will we get bundles and theme packs, at a slight discount?

Sorta like bulk buying?
  17. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I`ll like to think of a game like this: You play it or u dont! Buy it, or dont buy it. Know, never know. Waste of money or not?
  18. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I would imagine so.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I think i wont wast 0.00 euros in any ACU.
    The ACU´s we got +then enouth.
    Stop asking us for money!!!!

And i never use the Commander after the 1 min,i dont see what he is doing there usefull, for be the most important unit on the game.....
    Its just a preety noob unit....
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Considering the final price of the game seems to be set at around £35 for a retail copy (for a UK resident) and $30 for a digital copy from Uber's store, I believe that the price of an individual Commander feels disproportionate. I realise that artists need to be payed, but the price is too steep for me. I cannot justify spending $10 on a commander (a full third of the total cost of the game) for a purely cosmetic model swap that is unlikely to be seen by, not only myself, but also other players for the vast majority of game time.
    cmdandy and carlorizzante like this.