Playing against the AI has been renamed Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SatanPetitCul, May 22, 2014.

1. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

I will be the moron to counter-balance so much enthousiasm.

I just played 2 hours of "Galactic War", and i don't see the point. I was already able to launch a game against the AI. Making them happens in serie is not enough to be called a solo campaign...

The mechanism of restriction of the tech tree... why not. It could helps the noob to be introduced slowly to the game, like in every RTS game since RTS game have been created.

Next time you should avoid hype, and try to use less the word "awesome" , because it is not "awesome", it is okay. This word loses its meaning a bit more each time.

The voices are good.
    The new laggy UI is a nightmare (why the fcuk my fabber always want to build something else than what i chose?).
    nawrot, ace63, mot9001 and 2 others like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm with you man, just breathe out. I'm confident at Uber they feel the same, and this is only the foundations for what is to come we are seeing.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Personally I agree on how GW in single player mode is just another form of single player vs AI, which too me isnt the best thing in the world. But I can see how single player lovers will LOVE this. So seriously I think the hype was okay for this.

An another node, do you have ko deferred? It works fine and makes the indeed even slower UI a lot faster again.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I've tryed it, I don't get the same results as you do on your PC at all :(
  5. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Early days man!!
    Think about the possibilities here...THis could get a lot more strategic, imagine if the AI took back planets, or you could send your sub comms to take worlds, or set up bridge heads. Chokepoint systems, where you could choose which planet to land on then launch a strike from that moon. Take control of the sub comms forces on a world you sent it too.
    I think this has legs, I reckon we are looking at the bare bones... Give it a bit of time, the framework is in place, and so far imo its pretty good.

Stay positive x
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

well bare in mind that this is just the very first iteration of galactic war, they are obviously going to improve this massively as it goes through the paces, you can look at it like a playable idea they have on how they want the galactic war to be before the final iteration of it.

I actually think there is more to it then just playing against the AI, the hidden tech secrets add a lot to it which makes it above then just simply playing a skirmish game against the AI. Then you have the galactic map, which is more like a turn based gamemode until we meet some place we can attack which has dozens of different variables on the solar systems you fight, it now gives you a goal to conquer everything on that map which they have already tried to tie in a semi storyline as well when you select your faction at the start, as well as the commander layouts which will make this game mode change again as they improve, as we unlock ect...

At the moment you can basically assume they will be aiming for a sort of Rome Total War feel to it, where your resources are basically your tech unlockables on the map, while trying to conquer every inch of the map. Yes there wont be any sort of settlers type management going on here, but thats the direction I'm taking on this from what I've played of it so far, and it fits, it works (minus the bugs of course) but the gameplay works. Whether or not Uber will introduce some CGI videos to help push a sort of generic storyline is another story, but personally I don't think it would hurt any to do that if its possible, something to look forward to after you're devistated a planet and won the system or something would be neat.

Give it time, it will be more than you think, the gameplay lines have been drawn there you'll see :D
  7. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

The fun part about galactic war is also the possibily to have stuff that isnt viable or balanced in multiplayer. I got a thingy that reduces cost of artillery units and defences by 50%. i think that is neat.

But yeah it needs to be more inter connected. So you feel like its an active war, instead of a puzzle game. taking one brick at a time. But again its a good first iteration.we will see where they wanna take this.

I would imagine there will be a live stream soon, where they are gonna talk about the galactic war, options, choices, their vision, goals and we can ask questions.

Personally i think before working to much more on the galactic war, optimization is needed.

Even in a 2 player game. my i5 4570k 3.4@4.2ghz, 16gb ram. 780 ti sc 3gb. is struggling :p
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't like the new build bar UI.

There's lots of excellent improvements in this update though!
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's too big imho and need a bit of fine tuning for the hotkeys, apart from that it is much nice compared to the non modded version before.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's a step in the right direction while a step in the wrong direction at the same time. It'll get there.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. epic4242

epic4242 Member

As the noob who is slowly introduced into the game... I am slightly offended...
  12. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

Sure, you could play a skirmish against AI before but it had no context.
    From what I've seen there still isn't much context there yet, but it has a lot of possibilities for that context to be added in the future.

What I mean by that is, try to imagine playing Total War with just the tactical battles, no strategic turn-based campaign gameplay. For me, suddenly I find myself losing any and all interest in the 'skirmish battle' I'm in, because the outcome of that battle has no meaning. Losing doesn't hurt my army on the campaign map, and thus there are no repercussions, no cities now left defended by simple peasants instead of battle-hardened professionals.
    I don't care about the casualties that I suffer, I don't really care if I win or lose, because every time I will get a clean slate, no repercussions.
    Those repercussions aren't in yet, but if they do get in, that will make every battle that much more interesting over regular skirmishes.
    zaphodx likes this.
  13. epic4242

epic4242 Member

As the noob who is slowly introduced into the game... I am slightly offended...:(

EDIT: sorry about that double comment by internet did something insane:p
  14. SatanPetitCul

I don't have it. I will try it to see if it improve the responsiveness.
  15. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

What is "ko deferred"?
  16. SatanPetitCul

17. perecil

perecil Active Member

Yes, the Galactic War is now a bit "lets play against AI in loop". And, from what I remember, it was never intended for Uber that the Galactic War was some kind of dull single solo player campaign.

Now imagine a "shared" version of Galactic War. With thousands of star systems. Played by multiple players on the same map. Each player controlling a commander, moving on the map. Where there is another player commander, arrange a multiplayer match. Where there is none, arrange an AI match. Where a match is already running, join in game and help the other commander (looks like a lot like the shared army feature). Possibilities are endless if you think a little bit outside the box.
    madmecha and Planktum like this.
  18. SatanPetitCul

Yeah... there is not much to do :(
  19. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Alright, i think i can write the experiences i had in here just as well.

I think its a good idea, and the tech advantages you get with wins are quite nice.
    But i think at least all the "basic" naval bots air units should available at start.

And yeaaahhh, it kinda feels like an AI Loop, and i dont have THAT much confidence that it will be improved that incredible much.
    Maybe something like "AI taking back planets" will be addet, but i dont see any kind of "story", because thats a huge amount of work.

So, this is what i have in mind:
    You and like 3-10 other AIs start at different points in the universe (up to how big your universe is), clearly shown by colors wheres who.
    The rest will keep on going like the Dawn of War Burning crusade campaign, you see which planet gives which advantages, have choice to attack them, and need to defend if somebody attacks your planet.

Actually, it would be kind of neat if there were consequences for losing planets besides losing the tech on that planet. (like mentioned before, awaking the feel of guild for losing)

a few planets which are not yet captured by you or the AI could sometimes have something like "renegades", so a fight start even though you thought its an empty planet.
    Planktum and cdrkf like this.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

For the above to work (i.e. for the AI to be able to counter attack and for you to be able to defend and potentially loose systems) one of 2 things needs to happen.

1: You need the ability to be able to 'retreat' (e.g. an emergency jump capability for the commander to get him out of there- possibly on a timer so you can't just run but say 20 mins in you have that option). This would save your commander but cost you the system (you can only jump out if you have a linked conquered system to run to so eventually against a very tough opponent you'll run out of places to hide)

2: You have the ability to send / pilot your Sub Commanders instead of sending you're faction leader so you can be defeated without loosing the war.

I think either, or both of these options would mix things up a bit and allow for it to be a bit more interactive during the meta game phase.