Factors that you base a person's skill level on.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Strobe, January 29, 2011.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

Lazer turrets have their place, they could be better but I have used them for full force a few times. Best thing about them is that you can throw up a level 3 quickly, it's extra firepower and makes another target for the enemy to shoot at while you keep your business harassing them :p I don't build them when it's quiet or if I have money for a level 2 rockit, all depends if you are being bumrushed or not.
  2. Providence

Providence New Member

Level 1 Rockit > Level 3 Lazer
  3. AARPS

AARPS New Member

lvl 3 Lazor destroyed by Jackbot > Moneyball destroyed by Jackbot
  4. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

FTFY
  5. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

The number of posts they have on the forums.
  6. AARPS

AARPS New Member

Erm, re-fixed to make your point, I don't think you meant a LB is better than a deployed tank.

I agree no building LBs pretty almost anytime, but diablohead's is right; there are very very few times that you can benefit from a LB. If you have Jackbot standing in your base and no defenses you can throw one up, let him kill it and in the meantime kill jackbot. If there are bots around the LB will focus on them, meaning the tank won't get to juice.

^^already too many words for exactly how useful they are. :(
  7. kash

kash New Member

Says the Sniper with 172 kills [162 as a sniper] in 61.9h playtime.

l2p kknb
  8. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

Spot the angry gunner.
  9. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

And stats/playtime was not reset after launch...? :roll:
    Go back to the TF2 community.
  10. Mastah

Mastah New Member

"Assaults are better than these guys" ? Errr... I guess you have not encountered any good Gunner then, yup. Well played, they can totally lock an entire area, not to mention they can destroy 3-4 turrets in a matter of seconds.

However, you're right, snipers can really be a problem on certain maps. But I have personally never encountered any good sniper who forced me to play fully defensive, except for grimbar. (and one or two aimbotters too :-|)

In the end, it's really a question of teamplay. Each class can has its counter. If I play with a good assassin who takes care of snipers for me, I won't care about taking headshots much.
  11. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Ah yes I spoke too soon. I can't really say Assaults are better cause I have yet to see an intimidating gunner player. I guess I just see assaults as more of a threat to snipers as it's pretty much the only class I play... Sniper I mean. With an exception of a little Support and Tank play now and then. I will remove that sentence in order not to harm to the feelings any present and future gunner players.

The sentence to be removed is this one:
    Last edited: January 31, 2011
  12. Mastah

Mastah New Member

No offense taken ;)

After a bit more thinking, I was wondering... if you really think Gunners deserve a buff against Snipers, maybe it would be interesting to modify their head protection (gained at lvl 3 deploy) so that it just reduces damages taken from headshots, even when not deployed. That would give more build possibilites and will make the Gunner more versatile, depending on the other teams players: Slam build, Grapple build, Deploy build... But then again, I don't think it's really needed atm.
  13. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

To anyone who I have played with recently.

How would you rate my support play.

I consider myself to be a good support. But the way I play, I don't know how the rest of the forum/teammates feel.

Am I good for the team?
  14. zerj

zerj New Member

I may be somewhat biased, as I'm pretty suicidal, but I'd say a high kdr may be nice, but if your wondering about player kills a high Kill count may be better. Quite a few times now I've toped the charts in boths kills and deaths. No doubt I'd be better if I didn't die quite so much but I still have to think me going 26 kills and 23 deaths is better than the camping sniper who goes 10 and 2. In general I think KDR never makes sense if there is any kind of team play.

It would be nice if the game would show who on your team built the turrets. That might be useful knowing who hoarded all their gold for personal upgrades vs who shared a bit. Also who build that silly longshot turret under a bridge and is an idiot
  15. Smaz

Smaz New Member

I must say that would be a good idea. II must admit i usually judge a players skill on their kdr, but i know that some ppl with a bad kdr could have contributed in a different way like building the turrets. Would be nice to see that on the scoreboard, although it would get crowded with everything else.
  16. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

As long as you're not dieing too often, I'd say kill count and money are more important than kdr. Killing means denying enemy juice and getting money. Though you should be careful that your suicidal style doesn't feed to much money to the enemy team. As long as you're positive, you should have gotten more from the enemy than the other way around, unless you fed them a serious killstreak.
  17. Shmyea

Shmyea New Member

Who are we kidding? It's all about the KDR :/

A good player will be top of the team with the best KDR.
    A camper will be half way up the team with a decent KDR
    A Noob will be at the bottom of the team with a dismal KDR.

Gold means they've pushed bots, got kills, beefed up the base, and damaged the money ball. Gold measures how good a team player a guy is while KDR measures how skilled they are.
  18. zerj

zerj New Member

I'd disagree, the player with the best KDR isn't usually topping the team. If your focused on KDR your not going to be the player who sacrifices themself to bring forth the annihilator, or charge the juiced pro who is about to pwn your base.

The player who focuses solely on KDR is less likely to accomplish these things.

For that matter I could fairly easily get games with an infinite KDR. Just get 2 kills and head back to your spawn and hide for the rest of the match. A KDR that is too high can also imply your not taking enough risks.
  19. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Is this the right time to post my 50:0 game where I took more risks than all other players combined? Oh wait I already did.

K/D says a lot about how often players go for kills and get through with it. More kills = intelligent player, more deaths = not so intelligent player.

The balance counts and what you make of those kills. Saying a high KDR could imply that you're not taking risks is pretty contradicting since in order to get kills you need to expose yourself, which is a risk on it's own. Yes even Snipers and Assassins expose themselves when they go for a kill
  20. zerj

zerj New Member

I don't see how it is contradictory, I thought my example of a player who obtained 2 kills and hid in the spawn made it pretty clear how it "could" happen. I certainly don't disagree that fewer deaths is a good thing and a can be used as a decent indicator for skill, However Shmyea states, "It's all about the KDR ". My post was in rebuttal to that and I stand by that.

For every highly skilled player who goes 50-0, I think there are a lot who go 8 and 3 and think they did a good job. The players who go 8 and 3 are probably more useless than those who go 15 and 15. For that matter the player who goes 5 and 26 while probably awful at least is putting in their full effort.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I thought Kills is more useful than KDR. Getting 50 kills in a round is impressive and would be no less impressive had you died a couple of times. Yet if you had died a few times your KDR would be infinitely worse.

Now I don't think KDR is a bad metric, Its probably a good idea to use it personally to think of what you can improve knowing your playstyle. But I thought the point of this thread was what factors you use to base a different person's skill on. For that KDR seems of very limited usefulness. # of kills is better but still probably flawed.