Armoury; Commander Micro-transactions.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, May 16, 2014.

1. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Yeah i'm not so sympathetic about that either, exclusive means exclusive, so for those that have it only have it. That's why i'm still kinda mad about what they did with the Delta commander, that was just a very stupid move.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

At least our Delta looks cooler ;)
  3. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Nothing more than with buying the red diamond I-am-rich app. Only mildly disturbing but still fun to watch.

Compared to the other stuff beeing done to PA its so little of wrongness I dont even notice it.
    Maybe I just dont get the point of showing off virtual status symbols to strangers.

On the other hand, if Uber can extract money out of people for buying those models, why not sell them. Just stay clear of pay2win.
  4. squishypon3

Im not going to go crazy waving off my commander going "Look at this, aren't I amazing" or anything but it still feels pretty nice to have been some early help for the production of the game. :) Good thing they've Said there won't be any game play changing things even commanders their won't even be different any longer as far as I know. I still hope the graphics for each three uber weapons will be a little different. But yes, no pay-to-win and I'm happy. :D

Edit: Wow, I hate typing on mobile.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    paulusss likes this.
  5. lucidnightmare

lucidnightmare Member

Hey guys, super crazy idea here:

What about micro-transactions in the form of... **drum roll**

Hats for our commanders!

(All jokes aside, I am ok with cosmetic micro-transactions. Tbh, I don't think it makes a difference to my life in the slightest.)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

I can't imagine how adding pay-to-win to an RTS would be a good idea.

I personally have probably spent a couple hundred dollars in LoL. Originally, I bought the collectors edition. Then I decided to unlock the other half of the champions. Since then between my own spending and gift cards my wife bought me with our shared money, I have purchased a bunch of skins.

Champion skins to me are like fashion accessories. You get them not out of need, but because they are fun. It's fun for me when people see my champion and tell me it is a cool skin, especially if it is one that is rare.

I also look at them like a vending machine. Am I mad if somebody sets up a vending machine or a coffee shop in or near my workplace? Of course not. They are giving me a chance to trade my money for something I might want, with no obligation if I don't want to. So it is neutral at worst and positive at best. And let's face it, they run servers 24/7 for my convenience, and that's not free. My dollars / hour of entertainment is still really low.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You must have played a lot of LoL :)
  8. squishypon3

I can't imagine how adding pay-to-win to any genre would be a good idea myself. :D

Also, I completely agree with all your points. I'll be one of those crazy "buy all commanders" people myself. :)
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I agree with him and feel the samee way about planetside 2. I started subscribing to it, I usually will if it is worth my time to play it.
  10. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Micro Transactions in PA?
    No just no. I don't want to see that tainted practice anywhere near PA.
    It's difficult enough for me to put (That practice) and PA in the same sentence.
    (That practice) in any shape or form is simply put, a blight on the gaming industry. Even if it is only for models.

Paying for expansions is fine by me, paying for DLC if it is decent and not ripped from the game before release is also fine by me(Since some semblance of effort usually goes into those). But I do not want to see (That practice) anywhere near this game, and I will go into a rage if I do see it in the final release. All it is, is a lazy/cheap way for scummy devs to make a quick buck by selling textures or models which were created within the time span of a few minutes, and I hope that (That practice) dies a horrible painful death(Although it probably wont happen due to various greedy corporations which will not be named here).
    meir22344 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

It's not the fault of a company if people buy their products
  12. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

Cosmetic upgrades are fun. Just don't go too far with it.
    I really like the idea of buying commanders and all sort of skins for units, buildings and commanders.

Pay to win is a retarded concept, especially when it's not free to play. (Am I the only one who thinks pay to win to some extend is an acceptable concept in free to play games?)
    As for micro transactions, what is wrong with those? It's good to be able to buy a €1 commander rather than €10 euro "progenitor exclusives packs", which aren't that bad of an idea now I think of it :D
    Micro transactions are only a bad thing if you're stupid and don't know the value of money..
  13. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Not realy true, that depends on the marketing.

Anyways, i dont realy see the point of such micro transactions in pa. Isnt the game "build to be modded"? Because i would rather build my own commander than pay anyone for it.
    muhatib likes this.
  14. cola_colin

What if some modder makes an awesome commander and is given the chance to sell it to you?
    muhatib, corteks and carlorizzante like this.
  15. Nicb1

Still don't agree with that. Honestly the Minecraft community should set an example to other communities such as this one. They have dedicated modders who on a regular basis release now mods that breathe new life into Minecraft and the developers constantly give us free content updates. If mod makers want money then all they should do is use an adfly link or such. If they dont like that then (This is only personal opinion) they should either get involved in the development of a game or work on another project.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  16. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

As for my understanding, that will be entirely possible via the in-game marketplace that has been somehow confirmed. Same for Mods. Of course Uber will cut their own %, and I expect it to be in the order of the 50% or slightly less.

My question is, in order for any additional Commander, even those sold via the in-game marketplace, will that additional content installed on every clients, or will these DRM contents downloaded only temporarily only when necessary?
  17. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

As I said i would rather make my own commander. And as a rule, I dont put any money into games that cost me 60 euro in the first place. An exception could be a big dlc, like a new fraction added with a complete set of units, or something like that, that actualy adds value to the gameplay.
  18. Nicb1

YES. Thats exactly what my thoughts on the topic are.
    If im paying about the price of a full game I expect to get all the content, unless there are large pieces of DLC or expansions that become available in the future.
    Glad that someone shares a similar opinion as me.
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I am pretty sure this topic has been brought up before.

Anyway, i think 2 things are important:

1: unique commanders (e.g. unique to retail, unique to KS and the 100 uniques) stay unique and can not be purchased

2: buying a commander is an aesthetic choice.

I am pretty sure both have already been confirmed by Uber, since it's now just 3 types of weapons rather than the earlier idea of abilities.

I don't see how we're even discussion pay2win
    corteks likes this.
  20. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I'm not a fan of micro transactions.

In a game like DotA, the game is completely Free to Play so it makes sense to sell aesthetic items.

With a prepaid game like Planetary Annihilation I'd expect aesthetics to be unlockable (through in-game objectives/playtime/levelling), rewards for tournaments, or part of whatever tier of package somebody bought.

Whether UBER want to put in some workaround, by which people can buy aesthetics without unlocking them is up to them. However I feel this is kind of a cop-out and doesn't reward people for actually playing the game; little 'meta' rewards give people something to aim for - something to return for - and are probably part of what contributes to games like DotA's allure. The chance to show off that you 'Smashed 1000 Planets Total' (or something) in-game would be cool!

I could see new Commanders being a bonus as part of a larger expansion, if that expansion were big enough to warrant being bought independently.

Despite what I said about rewards being good for enticing people to return, I'm not sure there would be enough models to support a Community Steam Market in which we could buy-sell/trade aesthetic Commanders so I don't see that as a possibility at the moment.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    bradaz85 likes this.