Update to Gamma Build: 68855 NOT POSSIBLE...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by taii, May 14, 2014.

1. taii

taii Member

Hi

it´s me asking for some help.

A couple of days ago there was an update to Gamma 64498 ...

This update destroyed my "steamloader"... saying it was missing a certain dll-file. After putting this file out of the PA-Directory in the parent directory. At least I could start the game from PAMM but it doesn´t work for the normal PA.exe anymore. So now I´m kinda lost how to update... This may fix the problem in the first place. But right now I am not able to update and I can only start the game via the Mod Manager which is odd.

Can someone try to help? I also tried to redownload the game from 0 but it´s the same mess.

Greetings

Daniel
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Have you tried re-installing the game? sometimes that helps. Also, I think it's an issue with steam, since it sometimes happens on some of my games, even if they haven't been updated at all. Also, you can use the uber launcher, it'll give you better FPS.
  3. taii

taii Member

Yep, that was my first thought, too. But it uploaded nothing becuase the game was already installed in the directory.. so it doesn´t want to override the data, or I do have to literally delete the game but then I loose my planets (sniff). I thought maybe there is a way to tell the PA.exe to start the same way that PAMM.EXE does... or maybe I can download the update from a different location and implement it manually if then it will help repairing the steam starter. If in 2 days I don´t get it done I will kill the game 100% and reinstall. Then we see again.

Greets

Daniel
  4. emraldis

Just use the uber launcher instead, it works better anyway.
  5. taii

taii Member

I try to use the uber launcher.. That is what worked for me since the last update. Now I threw out the whole game and reinstalled but no change. It is definitifely stuck! no updater! Or directly the game over PAMM or nothing... a blanc screen and oh... did I mention that it pushes up my 5th core (from the 8 I have) only the 5th goes way up. My PC is complaining about the core beeing used permanently here after a while but nothing ever happenes. It stays that way. So I am kinda out of options... I even tried with an old starter but it recognizes and updates itself immeditately to this new one (elevated). I start it with admin rights but also there --> no change.
  6. emraldis

wait, which launcher are you using? The one that allows for the experimental builds, or the older one?
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

some useful stuff in my sig that might help as well
  8. taii

taii Member

@ emraldis: I used the PA-Launcher without problems untill it got updated with the gamma 64498-build... then it got "destroyed" and I could play only with the PA Mod Manager (this start option still works for the now old game). But since the normal PA-Launcher (please recognize the change in the icon picture) does screw up I can not update anymore thus I´m officially out of the game...

@ nixtempestas: The PC is updated to the max so it shouldn´t be an update problem. As well I could play the game without any problems until the updat to gamma 64498

Attachments (former PA Launcher ICON / ICON now (doesn´t work) Startsize difference; former PA Launcher= 1.583 KB / PA Launcher now= 53.136 KB / Core Problem

Attached Files:

9. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Have you tried running the game from the pa directory instead of using the shortcut?

10. taii

taii Member

@ nixtempestas: information you System.jpg Vid-components.jpg demanded...

Attached Files:

11. taii

taii Member

12. Clopse

Anti virus program/ Firewall stopping it?
  13. Clopse

stormingkiwi and taii like this.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

taii likes this.
  15. taii

taii Member

Hi clopse,

I can´t see the connection between a programm running with an anti-virus programm and then later it blocks it... None the less I tried that too but no change and the core running at 100% and not comming out of the loop is a clear singn that something isn´t right with the start-up sequence...
  16. taii

taii Member

@ clopse
    @ tatsujb

FINALLY!! SUCCESS AT LAST! The Link was the help. It was a directX-based problem. After installing patches from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    the PA Launcher started up normally and is updating right now.

Phew, that was close. I thought my PC was defective or worse...

This evening I´ll play a round to ease up things... Thanks to all for their support and help... Maybe it will help others with a similar problem.

C ya

Daniel
    Clopse likes this.