Vanguards: Bulldozers.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by eroticburrito, May 13, 2014.

?

Yes, no...?

1. Yes, sounds good.

57.7%
  2. Nope, I like my Vanguards the way they are.

38.5%
  3. Merrrh, I have an alternative!

3.8%
  1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Vanguards have high damage and high HP.
    Because of this they're being used not just to break sieges, but to snipe Commanders in Vanguard drops.

Currently having high HP and high damage is leading to Vanguard-only strategies, when they are supposed to be turtle-breakers capable of soaking up damage for units following behind (like a Vanguard in a medieval army would).

I suggest that they be made into bulldozers/battering rams - they could knock over walls and (perhaps) towers, soaking up damage for the attacking, high-damage (yet more fragile forces behind).

Taking away their flamethrower would give the Inferno a more unique role, and would make Vanguards fit the Siege-breaking Tanker niche.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Sounds like a new bit of programming to be done to get that to work.

But, better than leaving that flamethrower on it.
    mered4 likes this.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Moved to Balance Discussion forum :)
  4. eroticburrito

Thank you :)
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

If they're not a true threat I don't see why my turrets would attack them over the actual combat units. Knocking over towers seems... well silly for a unit that size. It would need a total overhaul, not to mention new animations for toppling towers and walls for this to even be an option.

Sorry, but that seems unlikely at this stage.
  6. Genera1Failure

Genera1Failure Member

To save on animations, why not just have the Inferno have a sort of grinder or other melee weapon of sort that damages wrecks and walls when driving into the unit. Uber could set pathing to allow the Inferno to path into units as if they weren't there, and the grinder on front would destroy them.

Basically, make the flamethrower extremely short range.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    PeggleFrank and eroticburrito like this.
  7. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Essentially these. I like this idea.
  8. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

You could achieve a similar result by disallowing the vanguard to fire when it moves.
    ( but it should have a little animation to show players why it's not firing when moving )
  9. thetrophysystem

Well that isn't entirely true, a tugboat can pull a full size cruise ship. A vanguard with a ton of horsepower even with a very slow speed could collide with a tower and cause destruction (general exploding upon colliding) without it looking too silly. If it ran into walls best for them not to leave wrecks (do they anyway), for towers maybe it could but it might be better for it not to leave wrecks on anything, that much just needs testing. Maybe it should hit the tower, cause explosion destruction of the tower, then as it advances it redoes the damage to the wreckage and destroys it a few feet further.

I do like this idea though, don't get me wrong it would take more programming than other fixes.
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Or a battering ram, that'd look less silly.
    I mean, seeing construction equipment on the battlefield would just look... well, silly.
  11. eroticburrito

I wasn't actually suggesting they look like that.. Battering ram, bulldozer, whatever. Just so long as we agree on the role they're supposed to have.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  12. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

How about just make them a literal melee unit with a giant spinning spiky thing of death? Super high damage to things that it can catch (read: buildings)
    Sounds reasonable and interesting!
  13. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Definitely agree something needs to change with the inferno vanguard situation. It seems the current name of the game is build flame tanks and AA.
  14. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

The flame tanks as a T1 unit are far to effective at taking out commanders. Their damage is ridiculous. I haven't had a problem personally as I haven't played to much vs player since back in beta. But in watching some games seeing someone lose their commander to 3 T1 units just seems wrong and out of place.
    PeggleFrank and eroticburrito like this.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If you get caught with your pants down, then you will always be in trouble.
  16. thetrophysystem

the realm mod pack does vanguards as apcs that don't actually carry. They have ton health, a high rate low damage minigun, works wonders anti bot, doesn't "snipe" things like commanders though. It really needed to stop sniping imho.
  17. igncom1

What kinds of sniping?

Because some times I feel that there is a false attribution for just a game winning attack as a snipe.
    zaphodx likes this.
  18. thetrophysystem

it can be used for high health damage soak, and for instantaneous kills on high health targets.

it can just kill many weak enemies and contribute modestly to dps in the mod. Parking one on a commander don't kill it.
  19. igncom1

True, but I don't believe a single inferno can do that either.
  20. eroticburrito

I consider Vanguard-Drops a form of snipe. If you land an entire army of Vanguards and other units and force your way into a base that's a different story - but currently (as transports are not cheap and units die in them so easily), this leads to micro-intensive tactics as people try to drop a handful of Vanguards on the enemy Commander's doorstep.

It'd be better if transports went back to being T1, being cheap and easily spammable, but took unit weight into account so that rushing in with a bunch of Vanguards isn't an option. Also if units dropped from destroyed transports had some chance of survival people might be more inclined to use them to transport their armies. Currently Air Transports are too dangerous and expensive an alternative next to Teleporters.