PA: The Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, March 17, 2014.

1. misiok

misiok New Member

I've done the Polish ones bar 1 string I don't know how to touch. Someone needs to vote/check them so it gets into the 2nd 'stage' I think.
  2. suehirogar

suehirogar New Member

Hi

I tried to translate the game into Japanese, but I need more context for each string.
    I play the game but I'm not terribly sure if I'm translating it right or not.

Stuff
    REVIEW GAME
    Redeeme
    TOTALS
    DAMAGE
    INFLICTED
    ARMY 1,2,3,4
    WASTED

For example, these
  3. emrvb

emrvb New Member

Hello all,

I wouldn't mind assisting in validating the Dutch translations, but I barely started and came across an issue with use of capitals.

Example strings:

My Badges
    My Commanders
    Set Default Commander

As far as I know the 2nd and 3th word should not be capitalized according to (British) English grammar rules. But being in the software and design business myself, I know these words are capitalized anyway for some (obvious) reason.

The Dutch translation I started to review does not have these capitalizations. So while they are grammatically correct, they are incorrect in a "design" point of view.

Should I correct those or not?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No pirate translation? I am disappointed.
    totalannihilation likes this.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I thought titles in English needed to be capitalized. Songs and movies always have that too for example. Not in Dutch though, so that's why I used lower-case.
  6. emrvb

emrvb New Member

In the English language, titles of movies, books, etc. are capitalized, but not sentence subjects (unless it is a name and a few other exceptions), like in German. So a lot of capitalization in the text strings is done in a design perspective.
  7. DeathByDenim

Hmm, maybe you are right. I don't know. I've been looking up Dutch documents on the Ubuntu sites to see how they do page titles there and it seems to be ambiguous. Sometimes they do, as in "Vraag en Antwoord" and "Muziek en Mobiel", and sometimes they don't, like "Ubuntu desktop" and "Partner gemeenschappen". In the English equivalent, the words all start with a capital.
    In any case, you can just add your translation to getlocalization.com so people can vote on it.
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I've downloaded everything that was 80% complete or more and those translations will be included in the next major build (not the current round of hot-fixes we're doing).

In the process, I've also updated Get Localization with a bunch of new strings, including a lot of Galactic War text.

This has, of course, set a lot of languages back to incomplete that were in validation stages, but it also means we're getting much closer to have almost the entire game ready for whatever translations people want to do. :)

For those just joining the party, check the OP, and go here to get involved if you are so inclined! :)

http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Is "--locale" flag working for anyone in 67457? It's looks like UI ignore it completely.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Not positive, but since there is UI support for it now, the command line may have been deprecated.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Oh, I didn't even noticed this! Thanks for tip!
  12. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Spent some time working on Dutch (Belgium), there should be no untranslated strings left.

Question to my fellow Dutch translators: for the Pete's sake, please try to maintain the capitalization and punctuation of the translation as close to the original as possible.

My sanity will thank you, my OCD too
    Last edited: June 29, 2014
  13. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

The string: "Requests your alliance"

Is this a request to form/join an alliance, or a request made to an alliance (eg. request ceasefire, or resources, etc.)
  14. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Does the "GetLocalization" website support translations to languages like Classical Latin?
  15. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

Did a few strings in my language. I too would like more context, because some translations really are context-sensitive and a disambiguation is needed.

Context for this?
    Code:
    start:set_by_code:(no description)
    Last edited: July 30, 2014
  16. DeathByDenim

Yeah, that's a tricky one. It's part of the sign-in error box. From start.html:
    Code:
    <div id="error" style="display: none" data-bind="visible: showError">
      <div>
        <div class="primary_msg" style="margin:0px 0px 10px 0px;" id="Div2"><loc data-i18n="start:login_error.message" desc="">Unable to Sign In</loc></div>
        </div>
      <div>
      <div class="secondary_msg" id="errorText"><loc data-i18n="start:set_by_code.message" desc="">set by code</loc></div>
      </div>
    </div>
    It gets replaced by whatever the actual error is, so it doesn't really matter. In any case, it means that it will be set by whatever the error code is.
    Imsvale likes this.
  17. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Is there actually a way for me to see the strings I have not voted on without being presented with all of the strings I translated myself ?
  18. DeathByDenim

There doesn't seem to be. I'm having the same troubles.
  19. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Just went through the entire French translation, translating new strings, fixing typos, missing spaces and errors (with comments & explanations), and voting. Hope it helps (and not too late). :p

I was wondering, where are the unit/building description strings?
  20. DeathByDenim

It's never too late. In fact, I think it's probably time for an update on the localization. I think many new strings have appeared since GetLocalization.com was updated last, but they are probably busy with releasing the game right now. :)

The unit/building description strings are not available for localization. They live in the "<PA Install dir>/media/pa/units" directory. For instance, the gunship (Kestrel) data is located in "<PA Install dir>/media/pa/units/air/gunship/gunship.json". There are two fields in there called "display_name" and "description". None of which seem to have localization support. I imagine that has a low priority on Uber's to-do list.