T2 Factories Making T1 Units

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by eratosthenes, May 6, 2014.

1. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

What if T2 factories could produce T1 units, but at much faster speeds than could a T1 factory? Would this help to make T1 units more useful since you can really mass produce them, maybe two at a time plus increased rate, from the T2 factory?
    kalherine likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Honestly I don't see this as being able to accomplish much. While Advanced factories can build Basic units faster than Advanced units simply due to GE nature of the systems at work, you still have the issue that you are still getting the same stats for the same metal cost. Which means that when you break it down it's still a fairly simple binary calculation. I can see how something like this might change WHEN you produce primarily Advanced units the fact still remains that you WILL produce primarily Advanced units.

Mike
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I dislike this, because I like the idea of T1 factories remaining useful throughout the game.
  4. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I talk about that long time ago.
    I think its bether have 1 factory that build all kind units with the right balance ,then have 2 same factories .
    This way just 1 factory could help a lot reserve space for bether eco management and bether builds with diferent factories, without give some confusion off where is what!!
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Eh. I vote no.

If you want more T1 units faster, build more basic factories.

Keep the two factory types separate. We don't need basic buildings invalidated even further.

Because who needs diversity or strategic choices, right?
    thelordofthenoobs and stuart98 like this.
  6. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

? Do you actualy think before you write?
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Eh, seperation is for a reason. Honestly, I liked alpha when t2 fabbers couldn't make t1 factories at all. But, I am for t2 fabbers making their OWN t1 factory without the other land sea and air ones.

But no, I think it makes 1 unit obsolete if another can do it's job plus some. That is why I said above, if you take a t2 bot fabber to another planet, I think you should have to build a t1 bot factory in order to build a t1 fabber to build t1 stuff, and build all that in order to build a t1 vehicle factory and such. You shouldn't even be able to build a t1 vehicle factory from a t1 one. Technically, it would be needlessly moreso yet still interesting if you could NOT reverse tech and t2 fabbers couldn't build any t1 factories. But my favorite is limiting t2 fabber to it's own t1 factory.

And yes, t1 factory is still a unit, t2 factory shouldn't be an omniproducable unit. Heck, it would be cool to have some expensive factory for t2 orbital that produces a variety of units across all the factories, but that's a superweapon not a factory.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

T2 factories able to build t1 units would be a reason to rush t2, given that t2 factories are energy efficient. Normally you wouldn't rush t2 for the units, as unless in some specific circumstances (and with a reasonable t1 force as support), I think t1 spam would be better.

Opinion rendered from the balance as seen in the pte, where t2 units cost 4x and t2 factories crazily efficient.
  9. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Do you even think that some people want more choices or want to play the game differently than you?
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

*sigh* Why am I engaging a troll?

Your post is breaking forum rules and is simply resorting to a personal attack rather than actually talking about the topic. If your stance truly is better than mine, then explain it and illustrate how your idea is better.

If you're going to troll, go do it somewhere else. If you're going to post here, actually contribute to the discussion.
    madmecha likes this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We need three billy goats gruff to deal with the trolls!
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I vote no.
    I'd actually propose that T2 fabbers only can construct the basic factory of their kind. This way we further push the all-game importance of T1.
    I actually love the fact that they went back to TA and split up bot and tank factories as opposed to Supreme Commander which only had the ground factory. It opens up much more strategic choices.
  13. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you make the direct upgrade out of the advanced factory, probably will do better in general. Also, if you could make basic units out of advanced factory's there is only 1 real good thing about that. Advanced ground factory's can finally do something against air except make advanced fabricator and then a flak. This means when your losing your base and you only have an advanced factory you will still be able to fend off attacks done over ground and trough the air wich sounds nice compared to our advanced lab wich cannot handle a single bomber.
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

If we take the current PTE figures which would favor your idea better than the current stable build. You would be at a dox a second plus roll off time. For the same price as t2 factory you could build 10 t1 factories which would produce a dox a second +roll off. This is quite rough maths and not sure the energy use of the factories. the t2 would be more efficient. I still would rather the 10 t1 factories either way as you will start having the units much much quicker and you don't need to have your 10 factories in one area.

I'm not a fan of the idea to begin with and the numbers don't really sway me to risk it.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  15. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Another issue with T2 factories building T1 units is suddenly T2 factories have antiair vehicles. At the moment if you destroy all T1 ground factories the only anti air unit that can be built can come from a T2 air factory.
  16. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I would not mind having tech upgrade for T1 factories after building making them produce at quicker rate (or 2 at a time), this could be great alternative to building another chain of factories.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

What's the point?

The Advanced Bot Factory (PTE) builds at 144metal per second. The Bot factory (PTE) builds at 12 metal per second.

From memory, both have roll off times of 3 seconds.

12 Bot factories build 12 Doxen in 10.5 seconds (7.5 seconds fabrication, 3 seconds roll-off)

1 Advanced Bot Factory builds 12 Doxen in 43.5 seconds. (7.5 seconds fabrication. 36 seconds of roll off time)

Yes. Forty-Three.

Sure there is significant energy saving. But if energy was your only problem, you could have saved the cost of the t2 factory and just built more energy.

Additionally, you'd still have the problem that 1 Levellers worth of Ants was not equal to 1 Levellers worth of Levellers.
    godde likes this.
  18. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

This would only make any difference in some very stupid "I turtle self to death" scenario where you really have no space in base. Even with extreme turtling one needs a bit of thought and plan size of base, at least this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Not 42? :(.
    stormingkiwi likes this.