Please remove t2 factory build restrictions from builders

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Kruptos, May 7, 2014.

1. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

I am fed up with having to build that one mandatory tank/jet builder just to start building those t2 tank and air factories (effectively killing the current queue of the factory, ordering it to build one engineer and check back later to put the original queue up). This is unnecessary waste of players attention and therefore I hope that every t1 builder could build every kind of t2 factory.
    stormingkiwi and kalherine like this.
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Hold down CTRL while queueing up the fabricators. It will put it in queue before anything else without messing up the queue.
  3. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

Wow that helps a lot, thanks. However I still think that factory restrictions are not a necessary function.
  4. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Still annoying if you want your combat units to travel to a certain position / do a certain thing when they roll off the factory, which you don't want that fabber to do. Kinda wish there was some way to specify that you want your one-time-only queued units to do something different than the continuous build ones.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Whoa, seriously?!
    That is awesome!
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I do not like this idea.

Requiring the different kinds of fabricators means there's a strategic decision that needs to go into each factory choice. Do I want advanced bots, vehicles, or air?

This is a strategy game. One unit that does everything reduces the strategic depth.

And if your build queues are the only issue you have with this mechanic, then there's the keyboard shortcut that was mentioned.
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Having separate rally points for continuous queues and non-continuous (mod maybe?) would be really nice, though I agree with brian, it may be frustrating if you made a choice that doesn't work well with what your opponent did, but that's kinda the point, if your opponent out scouted you, you should suffer for it.
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  8. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

If only you could CTRL click when dealing with move orders, now that would be awesome.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  9. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

To me there really isn't a decision here. You pretty much need all advanced units. So you need to build one of each fabricator units you don't mainly use for building just to start the construction of their own distinct factories.

I fully understand the idea behind having dedicated builders for game deciding structures like halleys or nukes. However to me using only one advanced unit type isn't an option in a prolonged fight. I want those advanced bot combat engineers. I want levelers. I want transports and gunships.

Mind you, the build time of t2 factories would not really change that much since creating that one engineer doesn't take much time. It's just about player convenience.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'd disagree. Most battles I've played and watch result in only one advanced factory type being built. If there's two, it's normally air and bot or vehicle.

And it's also not necessarily about the long term. It's also about the short term. If it's easy to get all advanced factory types, then what's the point in having different factories? Getting a brand new factory type should involve some sort of investment. Because then players can make good and poor investment choices. If there's no investment, there's no risk. If there's no risk, there's no strategy.

If you want to play a game of convenience, then a RTS game probably isn't your preferred game type.
    dukyduke and corteks like this.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

This is not a strategic decision, not ATM at least as the price of T1 factories means that if you need a bot/vehicle/air fabber and don't have one, it's an easy thing to build a factory just to build one. You'll be able to build any T2 fac you want anyway, it's just that ATM you have to go through some unnecessary tedium in order to do so, which is bad as unnecessary tedium is... unnecessary. Either give each advanced fac to each fabber or make it so that it's a strategic choice which factories you build. ATM it's not a good setup.
    Kruptos likes this.
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I don't consider a 800 metal investment (T1 fac + T1 fabber) to be that much of a risk when the goal is to build a 7200 metal T2 factory.

Even then, it assumes you don't already have the T1 factory and fabber, or won't find a use for it in your current strategy.
    Kruptos, corteks and ArchieBuld like this.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

then we could go aswell back to supcombuilders ... that is the main reason why there are multiple fabbertypes
    to have a sort of progressiontree by building things otherwise what would be the point in building fabbertanks or fabberboats?
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

And how exactly does not building that one fabber (300 or so metal) diminish that risk? The t2 factory still costs the same. Sure, the 30 seconds or so that you have to divert your attention to making that one engineer could be counted as a risk but then we are down the starcraft 2 route again.

In starcraft 2 if you decide to play zerg you constantly have to spam inject larva ability on your main unit structure to allow you to spawn units faster. If you don't do it you'll lose because you don't get units fast enough. The ability isn't automated because that would make playing zerg too easy. I think that reasoning is bollocks.

Real strategy comes from decisions on the battlefield, unit selections and building selections/ placement. Not from jumping through hoops to complete simple functions.

And your last comment is useless to the conversation and kind of insulting. No need to be a jerk.
  15. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

Tank fabber is the fastest builder, but slow. Bot fabber is slower in building stuff but faster at moving. Plane fabber is super fast but slow builder and also fragile. Boat fabber is very slow, has a good build rate and is quite durable.

If I want to build a small base fast I'll use tanks. If I want to make a proxy base far away I'll use planes. If I want to spread out fast I'll use bot fabbers and on water I use boats since anti air is a thing.

These units already have a strategic reason of existing even without the progression tree approach.
  16. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

You should be able to see the list of units being queue up.
    You shloud be able to select one or many.
    Finnaly, you should be able to give orders, overwritting the one from factory.
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i am aware of that but i personaly rather want to have fabbers with buildoptions unique to them
    curently i have not realy much reason to care bout tank or boatfabbers aside from t2 factories
    but to generaly spam bots and if neccesary airfabbers ...
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I was going to post, but brianpurkiss got here first . . .
  19. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I'd like to see that as well, but it's certainly not the case now, as T2 factories are the only unique build options (apart from torpedo launchers) below the orbital layer.
  20. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

IMO this adds some strategy early game. Whatever unit type you focus also determines your strategies and paths available. And it forces you to be more proactive than reactive.

If T2 Navy comes knocking on your door, you shouldn't be able to rush build your own T2 navy factory with some T2 air engineers. You should've taken the threat into account and prepared accordingly.

Convenience is not really a good reason anyways. Combining bots and vehicles into one factory is convenient, but a whole lot of depth is lost.