Unit Designs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, May 1, 2014.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I see your pain Geers and I sympathise. Like arguing with a wall.

He didn't ask for supcom style. He asked for PA to have a style of its own, something most units really don't currently (beyond the extremely general blocky art style.) Supcom is simply a good example because it had distinctive, interesting unit designs and most forum users are famiar with it.
    TheLambaster, cmdandy and Geers like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yes obviously, but are we discussing peoples personal posting habbits or about PA´s unit aestetic or what?

as long as i doesn´t get sued by the deviantartist that made the picture ... :/

and god damned that GIF creeps me out D:

to get back on topic:
    i imagine more intresting designs will come with new units
    i personaly have no issue with it that basic units have basic designs

what i think though is that the peregrine should be changed into a gunship it kinda fits with introducing gunships in t2 and having a propper defensive aa instead of just another fighter imho
    and some t1 boats ... actualy pretty much all naval honestly except for the leviathan clearly need some more love ...
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I hope so, otherwise I'll have to demand a mod.
  4. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

Name two interesting units off the top of your head (no peeking at the game in question (though nothings stopping you) from SupCom which aren't experimentals. None of the t1, t2 and very, very few (or any really) of the t3 units are memorable in anyway. Now if i ask the same question but insert Command and Conquer or Red Alert, Star Craft (this list goes on) in here suddenly you've got options; Its hard to forget things like the Mammoth Tank, Tesla Coil and Obelisk of Light, and only one of those three things isn't inspired from something real-world and earthy-looking..oh wait it isn't.... Yes I'd like PA to have some or many outstanding units that stick in your mind years later, who wouldn't but SupCom is the absolute last game I'd use to start and continue this topic. And the hate for real-life inspired units doesn't help because almost all the interesting units in every game have been inspired by real-life stuff --- its not their alien-ness that makes them awesome its their familiarity and the way that familiarity is hammered down into a new and unique unit. Also, you guys realize the art isn't final right?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

To you maybe, there are plenty of units I found very memorable. Personally I found many units in the CnC unirverse that I find very unmemorable and just downright weird and abominations.

I guess that's the thing about "appeal", it's different to different people.

Mike
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

mantis, wagner, brick, corsair, harbinger, titan, PERCIVAL, pillar, mongoose , mercy, firebeetle, SALEM
    cybran t2 and t3 gunships and uef t3 PD forgot the names ... a good ammount of memorable units at least to me ...
    Geers likes this.
  7. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

I found most units in sup-com totally uninspired and flat looking particularly aircraft, but each to their own and all that... The only non-experimental unit that ever stuck in my mind post-game is the brick and I suspect only because of how counter-cybran it is in many ways, MrTBSC did you peek? Or I'm guessing you played considerably more hours in that game than I did, don't get me wrong, I loved it, just not for the bulk of the unit design.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well the problem with planes, is that there really is a 'right' way to build them, so planes inevitably end up looking similar if you want to compete.

Frankly the SC planes should have all looked like the UEF ones barring advanced bull crap technology.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

seriously the Salems tho....
    cmdandy likes this.
  10. karolus10

karolus10 Member

Actually I like minimal and clean look of units in PA, it had some charm in it.
  11. MrTBSC

i didn´t play that much but watched a whole lot of matches back in the day and still ocacionaly do (with despiseable factory HQ´s)
    what i mostly did was sandboxing around with units (basicly working with each unittype) and some mods i found intressting ... that way units grow on me i supose

oh also forgot the blaze and the riptide those are cool hovecrafts ..
  12. tatsujb

oh yea?
    nighthawk :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blackhawk :
    [​IMG]

AFRL Assists Northrop Grumman :
    [​IMG]

U2 :
    [​IMG]

Northop's Firebird :
    [​IMG]

X-47B:
    [​IMG]

Blackbird :
    [​IMG]

X15 :
    [​IMG]

X-43 :
    [​IMG]

YF-23 :
    [​IMG]

X-43A :
    [​IMG]
    And most of these were build for war, so obviously with serious competition going on, the rest were build in a competition mindset either way.

...And I spared you all the ones that look like they can't possibly fly. but there's much worse, believe me.

And THAT, @Geers is what a real image spam looks like! ;)
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    cmdandy, brianpurkiss and LavaSnake like this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The x-43A looks like something from Starfox! :D
  14. tatsujb

they're all geeks at heart at NASA, nobody questions that ;)
  15. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Really wish we had access to a program where we could put units together in the amount of polygons allowed. I mean surely users here could come up with some interesting unit designs that uber might wanted to use.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well I did say about the tech bull crap, as the stealth planes were very, very hard to make fly.

And even so, many of your examples (Like the YF-23) kinda prove my point.

Planes look a certain way because of aerodynamics, and while we currently haven't made the perfect aircraft, we have made ones so good that classified aircraft from different country's end up looking the same anyway.
    DalekDan likes this.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You mean like any number of existing 3D programs?

Mike
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

How many times do I have to say this?
    [​IMG]

The Astraeus isn't aerodynamic, but it can fly.
    cmdandy and tatsujb like this.
  19. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

@gears that is exactly what I'm talking about just because its got four knife like wings does nothing for the fact that it looks like it is made origami-like from folding paper with some jets and a cockpit glued on. Ironically Cybran were my favorite faction...
  20. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yeah but more basic.