[Suggestion] Orbital Teleporter Fabrication

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zomgie, April 30, 2014.

?

How should orbital construction of teleporters be handled?

1. Have them constructed in orbit and then drop down.

81.0%
  2. Leave the game as is.

19.0%
  3. I have a better idea...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zomgie

zomgie Member

I am sure this topic is of less importance, but it has been bugging me for a while. Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't feel right when an orbital fabricator constructs a teleporter on the ground. Either the effect is temporary, or they have some really long range nanolathes. So here's my idea:

The orbital fabricators initially construct the gate in space, closer to them. Either after completion or the press of a button, the gate drops down from orbit and impacts the ground, perhaps dealing a considerable bit of splash damage to anything beneath it, and then unfolds the ramp so you can send units through. This would not only look cool, but allow you to more easily establish a (much needed) beachhead on the surface.

Maybe you have a better idea, really like long range nanolathes and want to leave the game as is, or just want to tell me how silly and unfeasible my idea is.
  2. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

The amount of polls is too damn high.

I think if we're going to have cheap interplanetary transport, it's not that important for orbital fabbers to have this ability.
    What would be nice for them is ability to build and drop defence towers to secure a bit of area before dropping teleport building fabbers. But that is partially covered by the anchor.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

It's bad enough with the fabber spam in normal battles, what with the quick turret defences and whatnot.

Orbital fabbers that can build towers in your stuff from orbit?

NO
    improvised1 and tatsujb like this.
  4. ornithopterman

ornithopterman Member

Completely recognise the feeling. It doesn't seem..plausible. Also, if orbital fabbers can build teleporters, why not turrets? or factories? or everything?
    There is still a GIF fanart of a deployable teleporter lurking around somewhere on the forums, that would be ideal.

True, although I hope those transports will be balanced enough so they won't invalidate the teleporter
  5. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Okay.
    I meant that transports will be used to drop ground fabbers to build teleports. With cheap transportation you will be able to drop more fabbers with support to build teleporters faster and safer, which will remove the need for building teleporters directly from the orbit.
    Last edited: April 30, 2014
  6. kmastaba

kmastaba Member

Note that the ground based fabbers can also assist the orbital buildings, don't know if it's a bug or a feature.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I kinda like that.

Right now it's kinda inconsistent how they can build teleporters, but not other stuff. They definitely shouldn't build other stuff because that would be game breaking.

But if the teleporter falls from orbit, that'll help make invading planets easier and it'll fix that inconsistency.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Yea I just think this is a WIP, I don't think Uber have any intetion of leaving things as is for orbital, it's absolutely sensless that you'd need to rocket stuff up if you can assist up and down through the atmosphere and you can come back down and take of again through the power of .....magic?

I'd still love to see a reentry effect just for the sake of it.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Building it in orbit would be nice. That way your grand strategic plan won't be screwed over by one unit with a gun that happens across your partially assembled teleporter.

I was on the Roberts Space Industries (Star Citizen) forum and I saw a thread from a guy who wanted to remove polls as a feature because they're apparently being abused as attention-grabbers #funfact.
  10. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I was on the KeenSWH (Space Engineers) forum and Yes/No polls in "suggestions" section there are straight up forbidden. #funfact

And I actually think it was a good idea. Polls are nice, but when it's just Yes/No they are not helpful, they take away from the discussion rather than add to it. People are encouraged to just check a box instead of voicing their opinion and think arguments through. And possible complex solution is being boiled down to the most basic binary elements picked by OP (at random).
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

vote against it ... makes the need for beachheads obsolete ...

bring a fleet of avengers with you have like 3 or 5 fabbers build like 3 teleporters where your nemy can only reach them with antiorbital weapons then flood enemy planet ...
    sounds to easy ... sounds even easier on a less defended planet ...
  12. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was playing today.

Purely from a gameplay point of view it makes a lot of sense. Makes it easier to assault, and to possibly crack a fortified planet, as the defender doesn't have as much time to spot and destroy a teleporter that's under construction on the ground.

But then again, if Anchors attacking ground becomes a part of the main stream, the only thing that we'll be missing is capability to kill air units from orbit, or to quick-drop AA onto a fortified planet, to cover teleporters until they can start spilling armies.
  13. kmastaba

kmastaba Member

Yeah, like the astraeus that need to go into space before landing immediately after to load an unit then return to space without the slightest effort is senseless.

It would be nice to make space more "difficult' to reach, like mounting the unit into the rocket before launching it (before or after it has been built), exactly like on the KS trailer.
    Unit would need a reentry shield (OMG SHIELD!!!) to avoid burning when trying to land on a plant with atmosphere (like a fireball), and then need another (expensive) rocket launch to return to space if needed.

Later T3 Space transport, build directly into space because of their mass (unlike that terrible jj abrams star trek movie) by orbital fabbers/shipyard, and that can load entire armies and use their own heavy dropships to unload bots and tanks at the surface and be able to return to space by themselves, because of their greater tech level. (And because you don't want to launch a million bot one by one using rockets)
    I assume here that the technology level is developped by the commander at the surface from low levels (T1) to higher levels (T2/T3) so it's not inconsistent to have low level one use rockets and T1 radar sats AND more evolved high level spaceships.

Space transports won't make teleporter useless, because a transport can only bring a fixed ammount of unit on the battlefield in order to make a beachhead and build a gate, a gate that can bring a continuous flux of unlimited reinforcements but need to be defended and powered up.
    Make the gate highly hazardous (like some nuke explosion if destroyed) for more fun.
  14. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Should be constructed in orbit imo and then dropped down.
  15. verybad

verybad Active Member

How about change them to a vehicle that can only be built in orbit. Have them fold up during movement and unfold to teleport.
  16. ornithopterman

ornithopterman Member

karolus10 and zomgie like this.
  17. karolus10

karolus10 Member

As I'm not fan of dropping turrets from the sky (let anchors shoot to planes bellow them ?) as this would be job of cheaper Astreus sqadrons to drop units, but I'm very into idea of droppable teleporters.
    Not only it makes more sense to not let orbital fabbers building stuff on the ground, but it would make teleporter more useful for invasions as they hit the ground, deploy and then it's instantly ready to use... also you can build large quantity of teleporter pods in safe place, link them with teleporters on ground (with units waiting) and send them to multiple places (10+) around the planet at once - many would fail ,but some units may manage to secure landing sites for second wave of invasion.
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
    zomgie likes this.