Wargame Red dragon

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by valheria, April 30, 2014.

1. valheria

valheria Active Member

Ordered this on Amazon this morning and hopefully will get it tomorrow... but

I'm new to this series of games such as airland battle ect ect.. Can someone tell me the how the game actually works on skirmish ect ect? rules or how you apply the military forces and what kind of resource system (if any) they have?

Seen some you tube videos and it looks pretty amazing although obviously massively unrealistic in the naval area as it should be for entertainment purposes.
  2. hohopo

hohopo Member

um, quite a question there.
    I guess to start you need to know this game is very different to things like PA, C&C and Starcraft in its unit and resource management, a quick type up is below, and if I'm not to lazy I might make a short video for you later
    Decks / units
    Every battle you bring a "deck" or army of units which you have preselected before battle, the deck is important as it is all the units you can bring in that game (limited numbers and all). Each unit has a point value, this its deployment cost, so you can only bring in a unit if its in the deck you are using and you have enough deployment points.
    When a unit is deployed it will come in from you closest deployment point, at the edge of the map and then drive in.
    Logistics
    In war-game units have logistics, they need fuel, Ammo, amour(for repairs), some units can go a long time without resupply (like some tanks) others (like anything that uses missiles ) will burn through there ammo quickly.
    To resupply you either need to send you units back to you FOB (field operation base) or have a supply vehicle bring supplies up to the front line.
    Deployment Points
    this is where the rules start getting blurry, in MOST game types your deployment points income is dependent on how many in game sectors you control.
    In the conquest game mode you simply receive a set number of points per minute regardless of how many sectors you own, in this game mode when you capture a sector its adds towards you teams "score".
    Winning
    There are three main modes, destruction, and two conquest based modes
    In Destruction each units deployment cost is its destruction value, the goal is to reach a "kill" or total destruction value before you opponent does.
    In the other two modes, destruction points are ignored, controlling a sector adds to your teams score and you have to get to a set score first

There are heaps of smaller bits and pieces about the game to learn, the game trys to deliver a fun but realistic simulation giving it a lot of depth.