PA Launcher not launching

Discussion in 'Support!' started by blyaha, May 2, 2014.

1. blyaha

blyaha New Member

Since last PA Launcher update, program is not starting as normal. I see process started, but window is not displayed.
    I have updated OS and graphics drivers and reinstalled PA Launcher.
    Workaround is starting PA.exe manualy or starting the game trough MOD manager.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please check my signature and upload your DxDiag.txt here on forum, Thanks.
  3. blyaha

blyaha New Member

DxDiag.txt

Attached Files:

SXX likes this.
  4. japporo

japporo Active Member

I'm experiencing this issue as well.

After installing using the current launcher to the default location (D:\Games\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher), starting the PA launcher results in the launcher process starting and the PA icon appearing in the task bar, but no UI appearing. The launcher remains stuck in this state indefinitely.

No errors were reported by the installer and no errors were found in the application event log.

The system is a Lenovo W530 running Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit) with all available updates applied. Video is nVidia Quadro K1000M with the most recent WHQL certified drivers on an nVidia Optimus equipped system. For various reasons, dxdiag output is unavailable.

A stack trace for the launcher in this state is below. The addresses within UberLauncher.exe executable seem to be consistent between invocations.

[External Code]
    > nvoglv32.dll!69982d82() Unknown
    [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for nvoglv32.dll]
    nvoglv32.dll!69a16335() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6996fad0() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6995b062() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6995b19d() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6995afd1() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6995abb0() Unknown
    [External Code]
    nvoglv32.dll!6995c837() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6994aca4() Unknown
    nvoglv32.dll!6994aa6d() Unknown
    [External Code]
    UberLauncher.exe!00431f6e() Unknown
    UberLauncher.exe!004496d3() Unknown
    UberLauncher.exe!004324c8() Unknown
    UberLauncher.exe!00428902() Unknown
    UberLauncher.exe!00428c1a() Unknown
    [External Code]​
  5. zurginator

zurginator Member

I'm also having the issue of the launcher launching, but not actually showing up.

DxDiag attached.

Attached Files:

6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Your graphics drivers a bit old:
    Code:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Driver Date/Size: 11/13/2013 11:34:50, 12148224 bytes
    To update drivers download and install "win64_153318.exe" from Intel website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714

Driver info also looks like drivers installed though Windows Update and those is always have broken OpenGL.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In your case I don't see anything suspicious at all. Did you set any non-standard options in Catalyst Control Center?

I need to play around with windows launcher a bit and then I possible find something you can try to bypass the problem.
  8. zurginator

zurginator Member

Just got this laptop today, will be going on their site to look for drivers of course.

EDIT: Just installed the latest drivers on Lenovo's website, same issue persists. Will be re-installing to see what that does.

EDIT 2: No cigar. Will try a reboot and then will upload a new DxDiag.

EDIT 3: Of course not. New DxDiag attached. I took a look at what little I can understand myself, and only know it does indeed show a newer driver version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  9. blyaha

blyaha New Member

I've restored factory defaults in Catalyst Control Center preferences and problem remains.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

11. zurginator

zurginator Member

Date for the last Graphics update was last month, so it's fairly recent. Not sure how fast Intel's driver cycle is.

I'll be using the ZIP tomorrow though. Thanks for the help, and I'll post back with results of course.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks. It's actually pretty interesting why is this happen. Do you have any anti-virus installed? Any other software that change window management/effects?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Date doesn't mater, but version is. E.g your current graphics drivers have version 3383:
    Code:
    Driver Version: 10.18.10.3383
    Driver Date/Size: 12/31/2013 06:00:32, 19950592 bytes
    In same time latest one I linked is 3496 which means there was at least one driver release between them and possible more. In case of Intel drivers and PA this is extremely important because features PA using aren't brand new, but still cutting edge for Intel Windows drivers.
  14. blyaha

blyaha New Member

I've uninstalled antivirus, it had no effect.
    Wouldn't know about other software but it is no more than a month old system installation, so i doubt there is any such software.
  15. zurginator

zurginator Member

I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain all this, by the way.

EDIT: Need to read directions better. Driver installed, PA Launcher re-installed, still no cigar.

EDIT 2: Copy/Pasted the working game (all of it) from my desktop install to my laptop install. That won't work either.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  16. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

PA Launcher doesn't launch for me either.

I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 a few days back, and after downloading the PA Launcher from Uber's site and installing it, it crashes on startup.

Plust, I noticed something weird... instead of PA launcher installing to the default Program Files folder, it created a new Games folder in the root of C: ... Strange.
    The execute path of the launcher looks like this now:
    "C:\Games\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher\"

Oh, and my DxDiag below:

Attached Files:

17. flexable

flexable Member

Hi,

the new PA Launcher upgrade doesn't work for me. It complains that the file msvcp110.dll is missing. Well, the file is present under /PA. Every upgrade attempt gives the same result. So I can't play...
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

To work properly new launcher need Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679
    3dmo likes this.
  19. flexable

flexable Member

Actually, that's the solution I found looking at that kind of error message. So I downloaded it, installed it but with no improvement. Just found out that despite running a 64bit system, I need to install the x86 version.
  20. battletech

battletech Member

I get a missing msvcp100.dll error after update to launcher.