Request For the Opening of a new Subforum : Replays

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, May 1, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Yea we have video subforum, but that's not the same.

Now people will single out epic matches or replays otherwise noteworthy and this can happen at an incredibly fast rate as games are being played day and night.

With this we could upvote or downvote replays and all a caster would have to do is pick the few topmost (if they haven't been done already, or pick them anyways, if they want their own take, IDK) and cast that one.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I like this idea
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I like it too. I also wish PA Matches had a replay section that used Cola_Colin's replay urls so we could archive good games.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

We (eXodus) has our hands on this too.
  5. tatsujb

also 1000 likes ! yay me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Geez. Do you really need separate sub-forums for each little thing. The video section should be plenty enough.

Also don't replays break with every new update?
  7. tatsujb

did you read the OP?

The point is video forum goers wouldn't like this as their videos would be instantly drowned.

the rate at which people upload videos is NOT the same as the rate at which people find good replays. So not having an indistinguishable mix of the two would be nice.

especially since I'm suggesting making a use of forum tools and features, such as a precut new thread setup that includes an upvote and downvote option.

and about the replays breaking, no not that I'm aware of. but if it is the case it doesn't really matter as replays can be labeled as broken if need be and the issue (if it exists) is one bound to extinction.

@cola_colin 's implementation of replay hotlinks means this type of forrum has a great amount of relevance and we could be exchanging and comparing game replays at great speeds.

And getting the right relplays to the right casters in equally great speeds.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I agree. Maybe rename it Replays & Videos, or the like, if need be. Makes sense to link the replay with the video (though not every replay needs a video, and vice-versa).
  9. tatsujb

don't you see that video posts won't stand a chance anymore?

I reiterate : the two are NOT the same thing, no they are very different, one is a couple minutes of looking at a random replay in a list then posting it's hotlink in mere seconds.

the other is roughly an hour of editing plus 2-3 hours of encoding plus potentially 12 hours of uploading. (in the case of well made high quality youtube videos)

You post your video link and after all that work, noone gets to see it because 100 links to replays dropped right after your video.

You're committing content murder if your idea is to fuse the replays and video subforums.
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Well all replays will be videos. But not all videos will be replays.
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Not at all - just put a tag in the post name, like [CAST] or [REPLAY], as in the mod forum. Make visual scanning and searching simple.

They can't really be separated though - those who post videos may wish to post replay links too. So you'd have one subforum with replays and videos, and one with just replays, which seems a bit redundant. And does that mean too that people who post videos with replays should also post them in the replays sub-forum? There's just too much overlap to separate them.

The more I think about it though, the more I believe the best option to be beefing up the in-game replay browser, add ratings etc there, rather than have it here, especially since it would require the installation of a 3rd party tool to take advantage of. This creates an implicit sanctioning of the tool by Uber, which can be a problem.
  12. DeadStretch

Make a sticky thread then if you are worried about posts falling off of the first page. More sub-forums just makes the forum sloppy.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I think it's best to keep them together.

I just really wanted to say that.
  14. tatsujb

Oh hold on, lemme just sticky THIS thread first. oh HA HA
    ok lemme just illustrate that for you:
    Page 1:
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]

Page 2:
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [CAST] <- Found it! That's what I came looking for!
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
    [REPLAY]
  15. DeadStretch

Is it so hard to contact a moderator that can?
  16. tatsujb

Ye, I asked for a poll to be added to this thread, @raevn , plz, will you please add it?
  17. DeadStretch

A poll for what? Is a poll really needed? Why does everyone add useless polls to threads?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. DeadStretch

I would use this neat little search feature that allows me to search a single page for a keyword. I don't know something like the word CAST?
  19. tatsujb

No you wouldn't because you're a rookie newcomer who comes in and doesn't notice the "how to search" pinned thread (wait it isn't anymore) and doesn't know better anyhow. plus the forum seach engine is partially broken as it doesn't accept three letter words and filters results (or should I say "walls" results) with a variety of fun rules, like no more than 300, no results dating back from further than..... ect ect.
  20. DeadStretch

Um I was talking about Ctrl + F search function.