T2 Air Constructive Hate Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, April 30, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

A step in the right direction, I think. Thanks Meta!
    D:

?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That was a SupCom mod once. Good times were had! xD

Mike
    mered4 likes this.
  3. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Unless the gunships immediately target down the anti-air, your enemy will almost certainly lose one, probably even two of them, however you're right in that you still lose all your forces, and are in the hole in metal for the encounter as well. However, it's important to note that they were using expensive T2 units from an expensive T2 factory, whereas all your units were T1.

This is where I'd like to see a reasonably priced T2 flak unit come in; having 1-2 of them in with that mix of units should mitigate the overpowering effect and reach of T2 air. I still think T2 air should continue to be adjusted, it is slightly OP in ways, but I definitely don't want to see it removed.
    emraldis likes this.
  4. mered4

You missed the point. At 8 minutes into the game, unless you have t2 air, there is nothing to stop your opponent from ripping through all of your expansions with his t2 air. Even if you rushed t2 vehicles or bots, there is no way you can get enough T2 flak around to stop your enemy from eating your expansions, defended or not. You can defend your nerve center, of course, but then you cede the map - and, 9 times out of 10, the game.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The Peregrine should be removed or turned into a unit with similar stats to the hummingbird and given the ability to fly from planet to planet.

The Gunship and Hornet should then have their health changed so they're more along the lines of Bumblebees, but with maybe slightly more health. That way the Hummingbird and fight against all air units – so the Hummingbird is the king of the skies.

I cannot stress how many thing that will fix.

Now players can actually win even if their opponent rushes T2 air. Because right now there's no viable defense against T2 air except for T2 air.

Sure, stingers are pretty powerful when clumped up, but they can't be everywhere at once like fighters can. So the person with the Peregrines and Gunships simply needs to avoid those and take out the outlying metal extractors and vulnerable buildings and win the war of attrition. There's simply no viable counter to Peregrines+gunships aside from more Peregrines than your opponent has.

It's a step. But the rate of fire and overall dps still means a single Peregrine can take out tons of Hummingbirds. So whoever has one more Peregrine wins the engagement, thus, it's a T2 air rush. First to have more T2 air wins. Binary, and boring. It's the reason why I have currently stopped playing the live build aside from special rules matches.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

What if, instead of giving pergerines missiles, we gave them guns? This would give them a degree of inaccuracy in dogfights, and would look pretty awesome!

We could also make them a specialized nuke interceptor, similar to the "laser planes" that the US tried to develop for use against nukes, that would allow for the T2 air to have more variation, and would help balance nukes, all the while making pergerines less OP.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  7. brianpurkiss

Then PA will be a micro war like it was in SupCom. Air battles was all about microing to get behind your opponent. So air battles would be a clickfest rather than a spamfest.

Uber specifically went with homing missiles rather than guns to avoid the micro war from SupCom.
  8. mered4

*hand*

Tried to develop? We have lasers mounted on planes! Deploying in ~2018 :p

It's basically a smaller version of what's being deployed on our destroyers. Pretty cool if you ask me.
  9. emraldis

If you gave them a short enough range, and coded some flight tricks in there, it would cause less micro (hopefully). Couldn't say for sure though, just an idea.

I meant these:

[​IMG]
  10. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Loaded up on Peregines today and was like

[​IMG]

But my opponent built A LOT of flak towers and i was like

[​IMG]
  11. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I would really like to see a drastic reduction in the "speed of combat" for air units. Currently it all happens so fast there is little time for reaction. I'd also like to see a range increase/dmg decrease for AA. That way air units can fight over longer ranges and spread out like a real air force instead of flying around in clumps like a swarm of bees.
    Attalward likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Radar and map size helps that too.
  13. brianpurkiss

Except the flak towers cover extremely small areas.

You can easily ignore the flak towers and destroy everything left unguarded by the flak towers, which is a lot.

It's also fairly easy to snipe single flak towers.

Then you seriously hurt their economy and win the war of attrition.

There's better things to do with Peregrines rather than fly directly over your opponent's flak towers.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  14. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Thus my suggestion for a range increase/dmg decrease for AA. It would be more difficult to dodge air defenses because of their range increase, but you'd also take less dmg from them so you won't accidentally lose your whole air force if you fly the wrong way.

This would also mean you could use air to pick away at the edges of the enemy (since you'd only be in range of a few AA towers), but you couldn't fly into the middle of his base to snipe his comm/nuke (since you'd be in range of his entire bases AA).
  15. mered4

It's like that now, and it's a disaster. Even in a battle where both sides rush T2 air, each players expansions are quickly destroyed, even if they are defended by a few factories and maybe even a t2 land factory. It turns into a base battle, where each side is throwing out engineers to grab a cluster of mex, hoping your opponent doesn't notice before the 30iish seconds it takes for them to pay off. Also a battle where each side is tentatively reaching out with armies to secure mex, instead of attacking with those armies (good players do not often do this - but it still happens).
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  16. mered4

[​IMG]

This......so much this.

BRAD. Y U NO SCOUT?

:p
  17. mered4

That is literally what we are deploying bro.
  18. emraldis

It's already deployed, just not that effective...
  19. mered4

What can I say, it's situational :)

It's a laser aimed at a target from miles away. A cloud could disrupt the beam enough to render it harmless.
    Or even a mirror lol.

Regardless.
  20. mered4

ANNNNNND

*facepalm*

I just realized who you really are.

I am ashamed. LOLZ