Le(roy) Poll: Decoy Commanders?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, April 29, 2014.

?

What do you think on having Decoy Commanders?

1. I'd like them in-game.

38.3%
  2. I wouldn't like them in-game.

23.4%
  3. LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

4.3%
  4. JEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

8.5%
  5. I'd like them in-game if... (post in comments).

2.1%
  6. I want me some strong Support Commanders.

23.4%
  1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

As in Total Annihilation - it might be interesting to be able to have body-doubles for our most valuable unit.
    They'd effectively be engineers - no upgrades, no Uber-Cannon.
    They'd obviously be uber expensive, possibly built from a T2 (Vehicle or Bot) Factory depending on whether your Commander was a Tank or a Bot.

An alternative could be Support Commanders with more combat capabilities - maybe a weakened Uber-Cannon or some other such awesome weapon.

What do you folks think?
    cdrkf and BradNicholson like this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Balanced... Annihilation....

Seriously, you must play that game religiously.

JKJK, seriously, it isn't a bad idea, it just works better with the Zero K tech model. The only problem with one is it's build speed and limitation. You don't really want to be allowed to have an army of commanders, even if they are useless decoys, it makes it really annoying to snipe them all. Unless they had really low health and really high cost (so you could produce them yet fireflies can reveal if they are commander or not).

If they had low enough health that a regular unit hit would be obvious if it was or not commander, then I think it might be a real interesting t2 bot factory unit lol. Fills the "infantry" role, decoys do. Maybe that means the t2 vehicle factory should get UberCannonUnits, tanks with the ubercannon weapon? LOL. That would be fun ;D
    eroticburrito likes this.
  3. elwyn

elwyn Member

I used to love to build them in TA then pick them up and fly them to the enemy base (nuke)
  4. superouman

superouman Post Master General

My eyes bleed when i look at the poll :(

Decoy commander are fun if you can't distinguish them from the real one. In TA, it was called "Decoy Commander" so it was quite obvious.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I voted for Leroy Jenkins I think.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Decoy commanders were great in TA. You don't need too many of them, so we can keep them expensive. Just imagine how confused you can make your opponent by putting one decoy on each planet you control and then constantly swapping them around through teleporters. It would be so much fun! They are worth building no matter what the cost, because there is always the chance you can get them to waste a nuke on the wrong commander.
  7. eroticburrito

This thread has been won. /end
    websterx01 likes this.
  8. BradNicholson

I want to switch my vote to Jenkins instead of Leroy.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

In AI skirmish games, it was called Decoy commander. Multiplayer used a sort of hack by sending the other game clients the commander unit instead, so it really was impossible to tell it apart.
  10. eroticburrito

11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Not a fan, although I'm sure some people are.
    Personal stealth for commanders that hides them from radar and perhaps orbital vision is what I'd like to see.
    Nayzablade and eroticburrito like this.
  12. eroticburrito

Well I'm sorry Brad but that's not how it works. *heats Leroy brand in the fire* You have to take responsibility for your life choices. We can't all be Jenkins. Somebody has to be Leroy.
    websterx01 and polaris173 like this.
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Oooh i see, i didn't know that. I mostly play TA offline.
  14. BradNicholson

DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO
    ArchieBuld, websterx01 and aevs like this.
  15. eroticburrito

YOU'RE GOING TO GET US ALL KILLED
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  16. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I love anything that allows for strategic options beyond pure combat, and puts in deceptive/distracting intel like radar spoofers/jammers etc; I really hope decoys make it in. I think they should have a lot of health, but no special weapon; that way if you charge them with a cloud of units you can tell if it's the real comm or not (unless you intentionally don't have your real comm fire its special weapon just to trick your opponent the possibilitiiies!)
  17. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

What about a buildable commander? Must kill all of them, just like a team game.
  18. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Something i always wondered about ever since playing Red Alert for the first time as a kid. Is why more RTS havent used the decoy feature.

I think it was awesome, hilarious and cool to be able to fool your opponent, by building decoy structures. It adds depth, Sure people can scout, but you can trick them.

Like say what is a decoy building? well its just an empty shell basically. So build 6 factories, and your opponent scouts you and think your going factory tech when infact you are going something else.

decoy commander would be amazing as well. limit it to one per time perhaps.

Ahh yes now im all nostalgic and must go back and play the free OpenRa!
  19. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Why not have buildable Commanders as full-on "extra lives"? Of course they would be ridiculously expensive, but I'd almost like to see what such an addition would do to the game.
    cdrkf and Clopse like this.
  20. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Would be one way around the pa snipe game. Their current cost is not so bad.

Prob only good for single planet type games or the game has the possibility of lasting for weeks.