( Poll ) Secondary color Selection

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zoliru, March 1, 2014.

?

Do you want the secondary colors Selection back ?

1. Bring it back

87.7%
  2. Don't bring it back

2.8%
  3. I don't realy care

9.5%
  1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

there is now a mod that lets you change your secondary color, but still, the feature should be vanilla, not modded in...
    iron420 likes this.
  2. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

True, way to true

As for the colorblind, I'm not sure how they can(or will) implement that. I can see it being especially difficult with a lot of people in the game (the meta games for example)
  3. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. It should be a default feature, but it's good to know that there is a mod out there that can do that.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

lol 93/3 with 11 undecided. I don't think I've ever seen such agreement in a poll on this forum yet!
  5. acey195

acey195 Member

Slightly offtopic, I would also like to be able to cycle backward through the list of colors and commanders (right click mabye :p)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  6. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

i voted for the secondary color for aesthetic and impression purposes.

i'm usually pretty pragmatic about most things, but I liked having a second color to play with and choose in the lobby. it improved my impression of the game and improved my feelings of distinction - like on a subconscious level I'm more attached to this [potentially unique] color combo I made, as opposed to a single color.

it adds polish, imo, even if there is no direct practical purpose.

BRING IT BACK!
    BRING IT BACK!
    BRING IT BACK!
    Zoliru and emraldis like this.
  7. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

Last edited: April 27, 2014
  8. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

Suggestion: all the icons currently have a black ring around them.
    swap black for secondary colour.
    or, alternatively, make the symbol in the icon the sec colour.

That way, you can have teams where each side is one colour, but they have unique sec colour to distinguish them.
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but you can simply install the secondary colors mod; it allows you to choose secondary colors again.
  10. emraldis

Well, as I have stated before, this feature should be re-installed into vanilla PA, I don't know why they even removed it...
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Where's the option for "remove secondary colours altogether"?
    Red robots are menacing. Red and green robots are not menacing, they are festive. :(
    Same goes for yellow vs. yellow and sky blue, brown vs. brown and pink... secondary colours are honestly pretty ugly. I feel like secondary colours could be removed completely, and maybe even that units should have less primary colour as well, to make them look less like toys and more like robots.

(edit):

Remember the original gameplay trailer? Go watch it again. Also, go look at the concept art for the theta. Neither one had secondary colours, and to me they looked better because of it.
  12. emraldis

But secondary colors help add flavor to the units, I don't want to fight with bland gray robots, I want them to have symbols, and, well, secondary colors. I feel that it just makes armies seem much more alive, not to mention allowing for more people/teams to be playing at once...
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  13. aevs

aevs Post Master General

The 'allowing more teams to be playing at once' thing is a valid point.
    As for adding flavor to units? I completely disagree, at least with the current selection of secondary colours. Yellow and sky blue tanks aren't menacing, they don't seem more alive, they look like toys.

Do I think we would need secondary colours for larger games? Possibly. I think the limited secondary colour choices should change if that's the case. Red and tan go very well together, same with dark green and lime, all colours + white/grey/black/bronze, etc.
    Using complementary colours or other primary/secondary colour combinations that look like they belong in an Andy Warhol painting doesn't look good to me though.

Basically, if I had my way all (assuming secondary colours are neccesary to allow over 10 players) secondary colours would be neutral, near neutral or similar to the primary colour option. None of this purple and yellow sillyness.
  14. emraldis

I'm not disagreeing that the color selection is bad, a lot of the combos are awful! But, I think that that would be pretty easy to fix, just allow each color to have each other color as a secondary color (except similar colors, like blue and purple, red and pink, etc.), and just incorporate the secondary color of your units into the unit icons. That way it might not be obvious up close if your fighting the red/black player or the black/red player, but not many people play up close anyway. Zoomed out it will be pretty easy to differentiate the two. However, you can also make it so that if one player has picked the red and black combo, no one can pick the black and red combo, same goes with each color combo. The colors could also use a bit of changing (darken and tint them a bit, give them more of a "killer robot" feel), but in general, I find it plays into the aesthetic of the game.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think if everyone can see everyone else's color pregame and ingame, everyone knows what to expect. The colors aren't always taletale, but one can request players cooperate with comprehensive coloring, cold colors with hot trim and hot color with cold trim, or all teams selecting same primary or secondary and using different secondaries or primaries, all players not choosing same color, ect.

It is pretty necesary having more than 6-8 colors in a 40 person game. 8x8 is enough colors. Including same primary/secondary making a "solid color" or not, I am okay with solid colors but might not work for strat icons. Either way, colors are good to allow.
    stonewood1612 and emraldis like this.
  16. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Never understood why they even took it out in the first place. People loved it....
  17. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

Probably it didn't work the way they wanted, but as I mentined earlier they're are working on the secondary colours and they'll be back in the game. ^^
  18. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

thanks I didn't know that.... awesome!
  19. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

Well, now you know it. You're welcome! :D
  20. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Yep yep. All suggestions regarding icons are here, anyone is free to add more.