Diplomacy Features

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lunaprey, February 1, 2014.

?

Would you like to see Diplomacy Features?

1. Yes

77.6%
  2. No

14.5%
  3. Unsure

7.9%
  1. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I think a stand ground stance for units should be set for teams. For example I set the green team to stand ground so my units don't attack him unless his units fire first.
    hearmyvoice likes this.
  2. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Well, I did not had the patience to read all of this, nor to have a fundamented opinion about such thing
    But I came here to see that I actually saw something very weird (and recorded it!!!) in a multi FREE FOR ALL game.
    Suddenly brown army marched through purple base, did not fire a single shot, entered through's purple teleporter, and for some mins that army wandered around in the new planet, suddenly they went aggressive and killed purple commander

the recording lasts 2mins 25 secs and is 20mb
    if anyone wants to watch, PM me and I will find a way to share it

Edit: just uploaded the video to youtube, and take your own conclusions:
    Last edited: April 26, 2014
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Hold fire command, or return fire only?

I assume that went both ways though (Because commander didn't care about them at all)
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

WHAT??
    that's amazing!!!

I've always wanted this : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-teleporter.55519/
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Well, I think this quite mimics real world diplomacy. It's all about paying attention to what not only your enemy, but what your ally is up to as well. So at this point I believe it's a bit more of a meta problem rather than actual game mechanics.

Although capability for fast reactions and maybe a cease-fire timer would be nice to have.
  6. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Well, this reminds me of Age of empires 2 era
    I used to build walls and towers between me and my allies, even tough the alliance was unbreakable, just because I knew if any of them fell, my base would have a breech
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yeah, not very realistic, but maybe robots should have a code of honor? Idk, like when a diplomacy ends, it officially ends when all units leave each other's firing range; any units minus the commander will be self destructed upon clicking the diplomacy confirm if they are within firing range at a former ally unit, or the diplomacy will take place without clicking confirm if all units are successfully seperated from their ranges after diplomacy end was first clicked.

It has the worse results on artillery, but those are acceptable losses, if you can afford to part with diplomacy you can probably replace artillery rather quickly in their former locations.
  8. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

More than ethic, an AI should be able to calculate consequences and make sure to close a good deal with an ally with little to no risk to end up wiped off by betrayals.
  9. hohopo

hohopo Member

I'm with Popededi, it mimics real world diplomacy more. If people are moving armies to places you don't want brake the alliance, or ask/ demand them to move else where.
    in part its the trade off for an ally, you have a defended front and less things to fight but you have to be aware of what they are doing (with shared Intel this can be quite easy)

if anything I would consider maybe having options on portals as to who can go which way, otherwise all is fair game
  10. popededi

Reminds me a bit of Sins of a Solar Empire, where in the end your AI ally always turned against you once you defeated your common enemy.

I think a few minute cease fire timer once the alliance is broken would do the job, so the commander could be relocated to a safe place/planet, and afterwards all bets are off. Coupled with allowing your units to attack allied structures upon specific player order, such as quickly bombing the dangerous artillery piece they were building. Commander would be the exception of course, that'd be off limits.

Diplomacy is really a metagame sort of thing, no actual game mechanics could cover mistrust issues. And that's the point! It really should be up to the two players on agreeing on their terms, and the game providing a tool for them to be able to ally themselves.

It is kind of your fault if you allowed your ally to build 5x catapults that can reach your whole base, or let them give your commander a bodyguard of 5 vanguards. :)
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

for the most part, as long as diplomacy isn't instant, as in you have about a minute to respond, then you can always keep a vanguard in their base as well as yours if you notice them doing likewise.
  12. popededi

Yup. The good old cold war way of doing things. I like that.

There's nothing like securing an alliance by having as many nukes on standby as your enemy*:)

*Ally
    totalannihilation likes this.
  13. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

What about if players are able to draw borders to the ground that your teammate is not allowed to cross or the alliance will break?
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

We don't really need anything besides alliances. This isn't 4x.