Another game using PA's Game Engine?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by vackillers, April 24, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It's unity 3D. http://www.crytivogames.com/faq.html

Just because it's on a spherical planet with a similar art style to PA doesn't mean it uses PA's engine. Does Spore use PA's engine too?
    zx0, eroticburrito, Antiglow and 9 others like this.
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I liked your post for bringing wisdom.
    Last edited: April 24, 2014
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Pretty much agree with you there.
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Here is two problems with your idea:
    1. Art style PA used for models isn't unique, if you google "low poly rocks" and "low poly fir tree" you'll see there is tons of models looks like in PA.
    2. When PA kickstarter video was made there was no engine that can render anything near to what we have now. There was scene made in with 3D editing software and then rendered.
    tollman, aevs and SolitaryCheese like this.
  5. emporer88

emporer88 Member

spore..... o yes true you do make a good point, while I write that I thought then again the planets are bigger, but then I thought NO maybe the ships are SMALLER so u have just confused me to the max, but as I said earlier saying they are using the same engine is like saying packman should sue space invaders for both being 2D
  6. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Let us all just freak out... sue your neighbors for having greener grass!
    aevs likes this.
  7. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Are you trolling ? :D

If anything, these pictures show that these are NOT the same models (and definitely not the same textures).

Also, why the heck do you use a picture from the gameplay visualization trailer ?
    That trailer was made when the engine didn't even exist yet. :rolleyes:
    Dementiurge, SolitaryCheese and Nicb1 like this.
  8. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

What if Uber would license their engine? It's going to be a good one. Other developers could benefit from it, and it would be a win win for everyone.

It would also bring more revenue for Uber to push PA even further (or some other project of theirs).
    Gorbles and cwarner7264 like this.
  9. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Well either way I think its irrelevant now when Ben has already dismissed the claims he would certainly know a hell lot more about the actual game engine itself, its remarkably close though but it does look awesome.
  10. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I just hope its comeing out, woulde have been a fun extra littel game to look forward to:) halfhearted vid tho, just sayin:)
  11. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

I do think it looks like PA but like everyone already stated, not the engine of course.
    Anyways, the game itself looks pretty cool and I think I am going to back it haha.
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

13. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I don't believe another indie developer would be so bold as to "steal/copy" the work on this widely watched game..... It would be suicide to steal..... However I am looking forward to the release of this game as well.
  14. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

This.
    It's art guys. People inspire each other.
  15. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Almost all art is theft. The rest is accidental.

Anyway, if your first reaction is "You can't copy! SUE THEMMM." instead of "Cool! Two games instead of one!" ... you got some 'splainin to do.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  16. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I like the cows in the tornado. Very Twister-esque :D
    Remy561 likes this.
  17. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

If I recall to a live stream done quite a while ago, Uber does/planning to licence the PA engine to some devs. It is certainly not even close to top priority but just something small they are planning on doing or doing on a small scale already :).
  18. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Why is this in PA discussion instead of Off topic? I didn't think this was worth a 3 page discussion but whatever.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

"We've got Cows!"
  20. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Stealing is stealing. Making something that looks like something else will never be stealing.

So because 2 cars looks almost identical, one of them stole the others idea.

There is only so many way you can make trees and rocks that are low polygons.
    Its not like these games are competing. Having people being inspired from someone you made, its the biggest flattery there is.

Sadly its a really slow start. its gonna be up hill if this is gonna make it. Already threw everything and then kitchen sink at this.