Use the In-Game Community Mods - Original PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, August 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It's not too hard to have a non-strict version comparison system. The Linux/Mac version has always done it that way and I don't think I've seen any complaints about the update not being detected. They way it works is that it splits the version number based on . or - and then compares each substring from left to right. The comparison is done as number at first and if the substrings are not numbers then it is compared alphabetically. This seems to work quite well. For reference, see the code.
    It is of course easy to break if you really set out to find the odd cases out, but so far so good. :)
    Raevn and cptconundrum like this.
  2. alienmind

alienmind New Member

I'd like to post a general thank you, so, nothing technical in this post. Here goes.

Uber, you are heroes. Because not only did you realize a revolutionary game. The definition for revolutionary from my viewpoint starts when a game can benefit of new input devices, like, in this case, a trackball. You also didn't shy away when lots of pepole, including pop figures like Chris Taylor, didn't believe one can pull good RTS control on two planes at the same time. You stuck to your guns, believed in your people, and delivered. A feat not often seen in the other today's economically and thus short term and non research oriented companies. You did not stop there, but included a client which does not depend on the biggest shop infrastructure on the planet, giving all people in the world the chance to participate in the beta, not only the steam users. You also did not settle for cheap "matchmaking" aka listening server "infrastructure", but provide a proper server system, where the server dictates what happens and as such neither ends as "lag city" nor as "cheater world", with added benefits of a proper and demorecording system "chronocam". Designing the whole game to never depend on anything weaker than a PC is also a feat you stand alone in today's market. That means: No unit caps because it has to run on 32 bit hardware. No restrictions in the UI because of non existing mouse devices. No.. *******.. limits. In best tradition of Total Annihilation, your game does NOT limit the player's hardware. Need more viewing space? Turn on some PIPs. Glorious! One thing I should not forget is to thank you for designing good modding capabilities and not restricting it as much like other companies!

To all creators of the mod manager and the mods. I am ASTOUNDED that after a few months I am able to install about 20 mods I find essential, all with a simple to use interface, and it just WORKS and did not end in overpowered hack-mods, but instead ones which EXPAND the base game in vision. I do not know how this was possible, but it's kind of magic. With your help, this game will be perfect!

The icing on the cake would be that these people get the recognition they deserve, and caster like the ones on youtube help in this regard. Planetary Annihilation matches are awesome to watch! Let's hope more people get with the programme.
  3. silentlife

silentlife New Member

If only the mod manager would work for me =|. I still try and check in every now and then if the mod manager would start working for me. T_T it sucks being one of like only 3 people who can't use the mod manager at all.
  4. wondible

wondible Post Master General

5. lostgao

lostgao New Member

Need help. I downloaded PAMM did everything as described in the instructions (to be sure, put in the game folder). I installed "PA Stats Online" and "Lobby Renamer" but in the game they did not appear. I reinstalled the program, but it did not help. Not one of the downloaded mods does not appear in the game...
    Maybe I have missed something. Explain please.

security: "Unblock"
    Antivirus: No
    PAMM v4.0.3

P.s Sorry for bad english
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  6. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Minor bug that I noticed is that the Detailed View setting of the Installed Mods List View does not stay on after it is set. As soon as PAMM is reloaded, the setting for Installed Mods List View defaults back to Summary View every time.

upload_2014-4-18_17-51-50.png
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If you run the mod manager, do these mods appear in the installed mods list? Do they have a blue dot next to them?
    lostgao likes this.
  8. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

You need to make sure that you have the Mods selected in PAMM before you load up PA to play.

upload_2014-4-18_18-0-10.png

Then, for the Lobby Renamer Mod for example, you would need to select Create Game after selecting Play to see the Lobby Renamer Mod option.

upload_2014-4-18_17-58-1.png
    lostgao likes this.
  9. lostgao

lostgao New Member

Yes, they are all in the "Installed mods." All enabled (blue). Unfortunately I can not lay screenshots
    If possible, give your screenshot "SETTINGS"
    Last edited: April 18, 2014
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

12. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

I have the same problem. I signed up for the PACE tournament, so I have to use PA stats, but it doesn't work. I installed more mods, but none of them work. :\
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Mods are uninstalled then the new version installed when an update occurs, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Should be relatively easy to add a button to set these up from within the settings page, using the detected PA path.

I actually looked into this, because I wanted a way to be able to install mods from within PA, and if PA allowed the launching of other protocols then I could use PAMM to facilitate this if it was running in the background. I couldn't find a way to launch other protocols from within PA though, so I didn't look at the PAMM side of implementing that, but it's something that would be useful.

Does your Windows username contain non-standard characters (eg., are you affected by this bug: http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2442 - note that it applies to many more characters than the three specifically mentioned in that bug)?
    Last edited: April 23, 2014
    proeleert and trialq like this.
  14. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

15. sgtfinlander

sgtfinlander New Member

I'm also getting the same problem. I have those blue dots next all of my mods but when I launch, it's just vanilla. I don't have ö/ä/å in my paths so that shouldn't be the problem.
  16. Shalkka

Shalkka Active Member

I have tried to submit m mod to PAMM. Having a "description_fi" attribute in the mod info caused my mod not to work (commited a fixed version).
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Check the folder name under c:\Users - I have a feeling Windows doesn't actually rename this if you change your username. I noticed from your dxdiag in your other thread that your system language is Hungarian, I'll try and find the thread where people discussed the language issue causing mods to not load.

The problem applies to many characters, not just those 3 - may I ask what your username is? PAMM doesn'
    sgtfinlander, lostgao and ArchieBuld like this.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Finnish is not currently supported, although adding it to your modinfo.json shouldn't cause any problems - you need a base "description" field in addition to any language specific ones, though.

Would you be interested/able to translate the text in PAMM into Finnish?
    sgtfinlander, lostgao and ArchieBuld like this.
  19. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

Thanks, I couldn't change the name, so I made a new user account. But it works now, finally :D
    lostgao likes this.
  20. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

@raevn What are your plans for the new launcher and PAMM?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.