More unit roles, diversity and balance

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by spainardslayer, April 15, 2014.

1. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

• Slammer (T2 assault bot) gets a dumb fire rocket launcher with a slightly longer range than a Dox. Fires out short bursts of inaccurate rockets. Vision radius is really small so they cannot kite like crazy without radar/scouts.
    • Leveler (T2 tank) has turret turn speed drastically reduced. Damage is slightly increased but fire rate is halved. Leveler become useful against tanky units (like the Vanguard) but it will be overwhelmed by a similar size force of Ants.
    • Inferno (T1 flame tank) becomes T1 artillery. Outranges turrets with a cannon that fires incendiary shells. The shells set the ground on fire and cause damage over time to anything that gets into the flames. Has good shot leading abilities but the shells move slowly through the air.
    • Sheller (T2 mobile artillery) has range and fire rate reduced. Becomes much more inaccurate when moving.
    • Skitter (T1 land scout) gains a short range radar.
    • Peregrine (T2 fighter) slowly fires powerful, long range missiles similar to the Catapult. Mobile area denial tool and can pick off bomber/gunship swarms from a distance.
    • Hummingbird (T1 fighter) rapidly fires short range cannons like Doxen. Speed is increased. Interceptor perfect for destroying bomber /gunship attacks.
    • Bumblebee (T1 bomber) has HP and speed increased. Drops powerful bombs with little AOE. Surgical snipe bomber.
    • Hornet (T2 Bomber) HP increased and speed decreased. Bombs have AOE slightly increased. Obliterates enemy forces when you have air superiority.
    • Kestrel (T2 gunship) speed reduced and vision is halved. Makes gunship snipes less effective because it gives the victim more time to react.
    • Firefly (T1 air scout) has vision reduced and gets speed slightly decreased.
    • Leviathan (T2 battleship) has fire rate decreased.
    • SXX-1304 (laser satellite) has its weapon changed to a beam. Still does high damage but abusing moving between planets doesn't work as well.
    • Avenger (orbital fighter) has damage doubled and HP doubled. It takes forever for it to kill a satellite right now.
    These are a few of my ideas. Feel free to post your own .
    madmecha likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm up for anything that adds more diversity!
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Uber did hint at 6 units per factory. I'd rather more units with more roles, rather than re-purposing current units.
  4. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I like the idea of making tanks an overkill weapon against bots and most T1 vehicles, Leveler can one-shot any of them, but how many ?

Also Avengers could definitely use some damage buff, I don't Mind see them dying in large numbers if they can do serious damage to everything not protected by anchors as well as to had real chance against them in numbers.
  5. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

I'd be totaly game to try this changes out. Many look like good ideas, but of course seeing them in action first hand will tell if they are balanced or not. And certainly anything that adds diversity is A++ in my book.

Glad to see my Inferno idea here :)

Something about the battleship, I really feel that one of it's turrets should be replaced with a AA. Battleships are HUGE targets, considering their size and speed I feel a single AA turret (like the little ship) would be appropriate. This would also reduce the battleships damage. ( you suggesting a Rate of Fire reduce, removing 1 of it's turrets would do the same thing. Reduce it's damage output).

I really like the idea of making the leveler... level things :) Making it a slow moving/stationary killer, but easily swarmed gives it a very distinctive role in a tank squad. You will want/need T1 tanks to cover it, giving a reason to use both in an attack force.

The other suggestion I would add to your list, Reduce the Vanguards damage output. I like what the Vanguard is, but it's just about auto kill flame thrower is to much.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Battleships most defiantly should not require AA weapons, as that would make them far to independent on the battlefield.
    stormingkiwi likes this.