Borderlands: The pre-sequel, is it a cash-grab?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tehtrekd, April 11, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

So for those of you who may not know, Gearbox (or, rather 2K Australia) is planning on releasing a new Borderlands game in late fall.
    Anyone who knows about Borderlands may be asking "What? Didn't they just release Borderlands 2 last year? Do you maybe mean a DLC?"
    And the answer is, no.

They're releasing a full on expandalone game, which is basically an expansion that was too big to be sold as DLC.

It's called "Borderlands the pre sequel", it takes place inbetween Borderlands 1 and 2 (effectively making it Borderlands 1.5) and shows how Handsome Jack got into power, you're also on Pandora's moon instead of Pandora itself.
    It features 4 completely new playable characters (unfortunately, no new siren ;_; ) Claptrap(yup.) Willhelm(the first boss fought in Borderlands 2), Athena (from General Knoxx's DLC) and the Sheriff of Lynchwood (from Borderlands 2, also known as Handsome Jack's girlfriend) and is also going to bring some other new gameplay mechanics, including an entirely new gun element!

Here's a video preview for the game

The question though, is it a cash-grab?
    Some people say no, it is indeed just a fully blown expansion for those disappointed in the lack of moonbase DLC and nothing more.
    Some other people, however, say yes, because it's going to be released on PC and last gen consoles, but NOT next gen consoles.

So, I ask to you, the possible Borderlands fans out there, what do you think?

Personally I think that this entire series is a cash-grab, seeing as how the games are as addictive as crystal meth.
    But, I also find them to be incredibly fun and as such, I will be buying the pre-sequel.
    Like I said, crystal meth.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Still working my way through Borderlands 2 tbh xD

My only thought on this game is that I think it's pretty cool that for once, a game with four playable characters has only one white male char, two wommenz and a robot.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Well, really there was no Borderlands game that was prominently white men.
    The first one was a black man, a hispanic man, a white man and a woman and the second game was a white man, a mexican man, a woman and whatever the hell zer0 was.
    And the DLC's included another woman(or she might have been a teenager, I don't know) and another white man.

(although it was still mostly men)
  4. kvalheim

I mean more in the way that most 4-character games, or games with multiple player characters (think L4D, GTA V etc) are mostly male, let alone white men. The point was more that this is the first I've seen with more female than male (I guess technically equal if you count Claptrap as male, but robots don't have sexy bits)
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

2K Australia is still a thing? I thought the gaming industry was pretty much dead here because the government keeps saying "HURR MOAR FOOTY MOAR RUGBI MOAR SPORT FAT IS BAD NO LCD DISPLAYS EVER RRURURR STOP THE BOATS". Seriously, enough with the bloody sport! We have that! How about something that'll make more money!!!
    [rageragerantrant]
  6. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

I thought hardcore feminists were the only people who cared about such irrelevancies like races and genders of the characters.
  7. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

WHATEVER MAN.
    Quitch likes this.
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

unsure_if_serious.jpg

Also, heck yes. Looking forward to this massive, massive amounts.
  9. kvalheim

It's not irrelevant when basically every game has the same characters because publishers are too scared of change
    Quitch likes this.
  10. Geers

Tomb Raider? Bayonetta? To some extent Saint's Row?
  11. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Typical white male PIG
  12. Geers

Wait is that a meme here too? Because on CubeWorld forums we have a "typical male scum/pig" meme because one of the members is of the opinion men don't have feelings and want nothing but sex and punching things.
  13. knickles

I guess? I remember it from some parody tumblr. Pretty sure it's bigger than the cubeworld forums

Oh god don't remind me of cubeworld
  14. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Oy vey! Who told you I'm white?
  15. kvalheim

[​IMG]
  16. Geers

Well on CWF it started with this post, or at least, that user in that thread.

CUBEWORLDCUBEWORLDCUBEWORLDCUBEWORLDCUBEWORLD.
  17. knickles

Because when I read your post I got scared. The white man is the root of fear
    tehtrekd likes this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Who cares about details? Some people complain Assassin's Creed are one after another gentle additions upon the previous game. It is still a decent series.

All games, used to sell sequels instead of dlc, for every installment. Sonic the Hedgehog?

So, it all depends on if you want to play the game enough to buy it. Borderlands? Fun game. Wouldn't mind buying the whole series, as I just played each one and didn't buy any. Its wierd, because the exact opposite, I will buy assassin's creed and not play immediately. Save it for a rainy day when I need a singleplayer.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Races and genders in Bethesda Games adds very sharp details. Know who likes to play most often as female characters from my personal experiences? My caucasian male friends. They claim they like to look at the back of a female character when they play guitar hero or elder scrolls/fallout, and they like hearing the female voice when you power attack with a melee weapon. No joke, verbedum, what their reasoning is.

That being said, why is this a problem, it is just a detail thing, whatever sells games and the like.
  20. killien

killien Active Member

That is such a stupid reasoning my brain can't even.
    BL2 was made for 360/PS3, and last I knew, BL1.5 is built on the same modified UE3 engine, so why bother spending extra cash to rebuild/retweak/retest for ~5 month old consoles when there's already a dedicated playerbase on 360/PS3?

Look at Madden games, Call of Duty, etc, the lack of "change" has nothing to do with fear, it has to do with profit.
    Why risk profit when the same old formula keeps raking in money?