I HATE NUKES

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nestar2, April 10, 2014.

1. nestar2

nestar2 Member

Hello Devs,

well I am a player who is not pressing every second out and so get more stressed than relaxed when playing.

But if I play level normal after 20 to 22 mins I always get nuked. There are no big battles no awesome hundreds of bots rolling through my base no. There is a simply explosion and then its over not awesome at all.

I do not want to download mods or something like that but this is really annoying and robs me of every fun I could have playing.

So my conclusion: I HATE NUKES

Sincerely,
    nestar2
    donut64, stormingkiwi, nawrot and 3 others like this.
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

They confirmed somewhere, some time ago, that there will be an option in the game lobby to disable certain things, like nukes.
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

If you play online, many players will easily agree to not use nukes. unfortunately the AI loves spamming nukes right now, which isn't much fun for new players.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

A lot of people hate nukes, and they are being worked on.
    Currently though, a good way to counter nukes is to scout out your opponent on a regular basis and stop any nukes from being produced if at all possible.
  5. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Also, strongly consider an anti-nuke at 12-15 minutes, regardless of whether you have spotted a nuke or not (in all probability one will be coming, particularly against the AI).
    improvised1 likes this.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Uber i think has been looking at dropping the price of anti-nukes, which will help.

Its been so long since the last big patch, its hard to even speculate right now on what they are doing.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I think I'll do a game between two Normals and see how and when they'll use nukes.

I've already done two hards(Pretty good players) and two easys(absolutely horrendous players) so...might as well...
  8. tehtrekd

You'd play horrendously too if you had half the economy of everyone else.
  9. OathAlliance

They built 5 factories(3 ground 2 air) they didn't expand and they never advanced beyond basic. I spent 40+ minutes watching them make a ton of terrible mistakes.
  10. tehtrekd

Really? I thought they all acted the same.
    Huh.

Then again, the easy AI never utilizes their AA fighters, so what do I know?
  11. OathAlliance

We were wrong...
  12. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

well put! we play games to have fun.

but people have FUN in different ways. I think you and I are alike in that we seek to find relaxation in our FUN.

unfortunately, with the necessity of being efficient every second of the game to have a prayer of winning, I think PA focuses more on competitive FUN.

even after tweaking and balancing, I'm honestly not sure you're going to find what you seek in PA. it's just not that kind of game.
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Really looking forward to when this game is properly balanced...

I hope Uber is able to pull it off so that the people who don't like nukes right now don't mind them in the future because everything is balanced.

In the meantime, here's some tips for beating nukes.

1: Scout often. If your opponent is building a nukes, snipe it or build an anti-nuke to counter.
    2: Build anti-nukes (duh)
    3: Nuke your opponent first
    4: Spread out your base, particularly spread out your power. That way if you do get nuked, you can recover.
    Clopse and igncom1 like this.
  14. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I hate nukes too...
    Every game after the 20 minute mark will likely have some nuke play; so spread out the best you can.
    I have found that if you get your launcher built somewhere around the 12 minute mark you can usually out nuke your opponent. I try to launch my first nuke by the 20 minute mark; if you can't you need to expect one to land in your base around this time.
  15. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Nukes are broken.

There are two solutions. Tell me which one is the better one.

1. Fix them so that they aren't broken.

2. Instead of fixing them, make it so that players can disable them.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  16. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Nukes are somehow difficult to handle for a beginner. Top notch players have no problem with that and they can actually enhance their strategy thanks to the dynamic Nukes vs Anti-Nukes.

But it takes some time to get able to. And it is very frustrating if you can't handle still.

Conclusion. It would great to have the option to disable Nukes if so we would like.
  17. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've found that it's not the dynamic of nuke vs. anti nuke, but nuke vs. I can build my nuke faster than yours...
    bradaz85, madmecha and improvised1 like this.
  18. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

If u get Nuked by minute 20 ur enemy is slow, or u just turteled too much.
    I usually nuke ppl by minute 8, if i want to. But i dont nuke all day, it cost so much metal ;P
    The 2nd reason is to break defenses, if an enemy turtels hard, he usually had a small base so 1 nuke can whipe out 80% of his eco. Nuke + Gunships = gg
  19. tehtrekd

Except any competent player that turtles would put 2 or 3 anti-nukes in that base and retaliate to a nuking with a gunship barrage.
  20. tilen

tilen Member

Not to sound cynical or anything, but sounds like you need to build a nuke defense.