Unit Wreckage inhibiting movement /shots, Is wreckage worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chronosoul, April 7, 2014.

1. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Hey,

I just got done playing a match where I had hundreds of tanks running around storming bases and attacking commanders.

I ran into one particular base that had excellent fortification of T3 Turrets. The problem I faced when fighting this base was my units getting stuck in the pile of wreckage that my earlier units made by blowing up. the piles of wreckage blocked my unit's shots and made my tanks slowly arc around the wreckage instead of charging forward into the base. thus weakening the formation and the overall attack.
    wreckage inhibiting movement shots.jpg

So I was curious if people really wanted wreckage to begin with or should it be done away with. Or make it transparent so units can fight through it or something.
    stormingkiwi and kryovow like this.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've had issues with this too, and to be honest it's quite annoying. I'd be ok with it if unit wreckage was removed, but I think building wreckage should stay. Perhaps we can make it so that units can push unit wrecks around?
    FXelix and tehtrekd like this.
  3. moldez

moldez Active Member

absolutly keep wreckage!!!!! .. this is one of the features I loved about TA and now in PA !!!! but further than that I´d like to see Uber to expant on this feature. Right now the balance of the game allows to totally ignore to reclaim the wreckage - this should change ! I also would like to see to turn the wreckage into rubble when shot at like in TA - this would allow to reclaim and move over with other units.
  4. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think wreckage are a bit too weak too actually become a barrier like in TA. Wreckage are just destroyed too quickly as wreckage only got about as much HP as the unit that got destroyed. In most situations wreckage are destroyed quite quickly with little to no effect on the outcome on the engagement. OP is describing an exception which mostly happens because laser towers have longer range than Ants/basic tanks which means that the Ants aren't actually firing and destroying the wreck in front of them. Another exception is Vanguards or Infernos in a enemy base. When the Vanguards destroy a building infront of them, that building will shield the Vanguards from incoming fire as the defender have to destroy the wreck of the building before it can continue to damage the Vanguards.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah, id love to have much higher HP wrecks.
    thelordofthenoobs and Taxman66 like this.
  6. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

This is more a pathfinding issue than anything else. Units just have no clue what they're doing when they see wreckage. However, wreckage should be something that does block unit movements, but first it needs a HP buff along with unit pathfinding fixes. Wreckage should look like something that is semi-permanent so when you're in a Free for All and you see wreckage everywhere you should be getting an eery and insecure feeling. Not just this, it's nice to know that battles leave a mark on the battlefield and you can see where people are fighting it out.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Naval wreckage drives me crazy. Makes large naval clashes pointless. I lost naval control, and subsequently a match, earlier today because of wreckage blocking the path. I had the upper hand. I was winning – but I couldn't finish off the advanced naval factory because the wreckage wouldn't let my ships move forward to the enemy base. I could have finished off his advanced naval, and subsequently destroyed a heck of a lot of their base and probably pulled off a win. But that's just speculation and getting sidetracked.

I think wreckage is worth keeping, but not in its current implementation.

It adds a very nice dynamic to the game – if metal were balanced properly. Right now metal is in plentiful supply – so there's no need to reclaim wreckage.

We need to properly balance the economy, particularly advanced metal extractors, along with metal spot distribution.

Once that is properly done, reclaiming wrecks will become an essential part of combat. The top players will use wreckage to effectively boost their economy greater than what it would be otherwise.

So.

I vote yes we keep wreckage, we just need to properly balance the economy.
  8. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Wreckage may block bullets or cannon balls but not the units. They should make it this way.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'd actually vote the other way 'round. Does block pathing, but doesn't block shots. The wreckage just needs to be redesigned and the pathing improved so it doesn't completely shut down an entire army.

The game isn't yet complete though.

Uber has said they have some plans for wreckage mechanics and it isn't yet finished.
  10. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I agree on keeping wreckage, it is always a nice touch!!! But they do need some work indeed. Also rebuilding on wreckages for half the cost will be nice if your base gets destroyed for a large part, this will help for recovery.
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

not directly in the topic of wrecks blocking things, but I had an idea:

what if you could build directly over top wreckage, and while you did so you build at normal rate but do not use metal until the value of the wreck is gone. Adds more strategy to building over top of wrecks.

already one could use area patrol on a stationary army's combat fabbers for them to reclaim and then repair an army, but that's seldomly useful without reclaim ignoring metal storage (exceeds storage number), or fabbers having personal metal storage so when they reclaim they simply build using stored metal instead of economy metal until empty.
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I would like to have wreckage have more importance. In Battlefield with more Hp ... but it should be easy to give an order to make a path through them. Now, units are quite stupid :(
    And of course economically wise, where it's really worth to reclaim them.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i think wreckage should block shots but not movement. a tank going over wreckage should destroy the wreckage. and bots should climb or jump over it :p
  14. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

I think I would really help us to remove the wreckage, from a gameplay perspective like you all have already mentioned and from a performance perspective!
    Every single wreckage must be rendered, maybe it's not hard to render a few etc. etc. but they are a disadvantage in a gameplay perspective and they kill our performance when the game is bigger when we are going to have tons of wreckages.
    They are have more disadvantages than advantages.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Land wreckages are already pushed by units. I hope unit wreckages will stay in the game and have an importance for the metal income.
  16. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

Wreckage should stay. Even though I find it INFURIATINGLY annoying, I also find the alternative to be just aesthetically abysmal and the fact a lot of other games don't do it with a few exceptions (CoH I believe, some advance units in CnC3, and so on) would make me sad if this game too went into the "sinking corpses" nonsense.

That said I think units should have some options of running though it or blowing it up automatically. Especially the case for T1 tanks.
    The F!? My units when attacking a position just get stuck on it, they don't push anything.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I kind of think that er..... Magic should happen. So well, wreckage can be crushed, and it will still provide metal when mined, and all that.

But so you can mangle wreckage from units with your tanks by driving over it etc.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  18. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

• Wreckage should stay on the battlefield and become an important factor for your economy through reclaiming.
    • Being able to rebuild destroyed buildings at reduced cost would also be nice.
    • It should also block movement (not sure about shots).
    • It needs to have larger hp and and have some nice animation when it gets destroyed. The decals should look a bit more like a pile of rubble afterwards.

Currently wreckage of smaller units is being pushed away by larger units.
    I think it should instead be crushed, making it possible for larger units to effectively clear a path through a field of wreckage (without looking stupid like right now) and helping with performance.
    Last edited: April 7, 2014
    maxpowerz, stormingkiwi and Remy561 like this.
  19. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

@thelordofthenoobs that's a fake summary. It seems you have cherry picked what you like; if it wasn't your intention to create a summary, you should edit your post and mention those are your own opinions.
  20. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I thought it was clear that everything anyone writes on the internet is his own opinion.

Well..I will edit it to make it a bit clearer o_O