my short Review

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Fleder, January 28, 2011.

1. Fleder

Fleder New Member

Hello everybody,

this is no whine thread. i just want to help making this game bit better with my feedback.

I saw this game and thought "hey, that seems to be fun to play, lets check it out"

so i started steam and bought this game. steam took my money but told me that the purchase was canceled. totally not the fault of uber! but i was a bit dissappointed.
    after some support mails i finally acquired the game and managed to play it the first time.

long story short, here are some notes

[*] the Server Browser is a pain in the a$$, hes not remembering to not show full or empty
    [*] 40% of games end in "connection Lost" after like 2 minutes loading time
    [*] No fair Teams, if you lost a game totally cause of the teammates, the next round will be the same teams...
    [*] terrible translation (german) id rather play this game in english

(on some menu items i thought "what does this mean, i dont know")
    [*] no explanation on why the robots, i can buy, vary or when they'll change type (in tutorial)
    [*] no chance to do something against this 1-hit-assassin (very frustrating)
    [*] no explanation on what "sponsors" are and how to get those "sponsor-upgrades" (in tutorial)
    [*] information about the skills, you can upgrade, is too short

[*] if the descriptions are right, not very inventive skills
    (3 of 4 enhance firepower on the black guy, dont know the class name yet)

this is fun to play, but on the other hand, very frustrative!
    i know there is some stuff to read and some tutorials around, but hey, lets face it:
    most people wont join a forum, just to learn how this game is played!
    you install it, set your keys and then you want to start playing.
    but if you do this here, you end up in a big mess where you lie on the floor with swords in it, thinking, wtf just happened to me and what can i do?

thanks for your attention
    Last edited: January 29, 2011
  2. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

Play it in english or a proper translation I suppose and then it would ALL make sense.

I don't really feel like describing everything to you to answer your question, however I'll say this:
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki/Monday_Night_Combat_Wiki

This awesome website has a TON of info and I'm sure you can use google translate or something for german. Anyway, that's a good way to get started. The other good way is videos of gameplay from PC or Xbox on youtube.
  3. Fleder

Fleder New Member

hi there, thanks for your information, but again:
    this is not a whine. i know now, where i cant find the information.
    but this wont help any new players. this should make uberentertainment aware of those faults and maybe make them create a patch.
  4. PKC

PKC New Member

most people wouldn't have to.
  5. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

It's not a fault if you ask me. If you want to find this information, I'm pretty sure it's in the locker room. If not, the wiki is still a great source of information. Honestly, it's a PC game and if people need information, there is this thing called the "internet". :lol:
  6. Fleder

Fleder New Member

do you think its a good idea to make people go to a website to find out important information about a game they are playing?

i want to get to now things through playing it, not searching the internet for those informations

sure, its not that hard, but its a bad idea for a game developer to do so
    there is enough frustration potential in this game
  7. grimbar

grimbar New Member

The "Locker Room" is a portion of the main menu with all the basic information and even videos you require to succeed at your first online experience.
  8. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

Translation - I wouldn't know, to be honest. If you could do better, Uber would probably hire you!

Bots - Locker Room has all your information.

Sponsors/Endorsements - Each Endorsement is named very clearly - "Rate Of Rire" makes you shoot faster, "Armour" gives you more health. The "brand names" might be distracting to a non-English speaker, I suppose. Every time you get killed the Endorsements of the enemy Pro are shown, and every time you pick a class their Endorsements are shown.

ProTags - Once again, I can't comment on that for the PC version. The method of changing it on the console version is fine.

Each class has four skills, each skill upgrade has a sentence describing what it does. So, the Assault - or "black guy", if you're feeling lazy/racist - has Passive, Charge, Fly and Bomb. Highlighting "Passive" from the upgrades menu will bring up a sentence saying "Increases jump height and critical hits". Not particularly difficult, but that may be an issue with the translation.

The Skills are varied, my dear boy. Go to the "Locker Room" section of the menu, and stop expecting to have your hand held throughout the process.
  9. Fleder

Fleder New Member

first, im not racist. i didnt know that "black guy" is an insult. if you think it is, im sorry...

second, at pc version you can only access locker room through starting a single player game and then canceling it. or if you are in a running multiplayer game lobby

third, translation: i think a released game, that has already been realesed for a console a good time ago, should have a proper translation.
    if they are in need of translators, id be honored to do this job. but i think they wont let some player do it.
  10. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Hold on there Captain hotpants. That's just not true. You can access the locker room at any time as long as you're not in a multiplayer game.
  11. Fleder

Fleder New Member

this forum seems to hold alot of "lets rubbish this new thread starter"-guys...

yesterday, i tried to find the locker room. no chance
    i will look into this again today, maybe i am wrong
  12. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

I was joking about the racist thing. I'd also make a joke about the Teutonic sense of humour - or lack thereof - but one of the mods is German...

As my esteemed colleague stated, that simply isn't true.

I don't think they translated the XBL version, and they actually advertised for translators on the forums, IIRC.

EDIT: Your first post was a thread complaining about mostly non-existent problems - you should expect to get "trashed".
    Last edited: January 28, 2011
  13. Fleder

Fleder New Member

as i said, i may be wrong.
    i'll take a look at the translator thread, thanks

and if i am back home, ill look through the game and cross out the wrong "allegations" of my first post
  14. FTP

FTP New Member

Lemme have a look at that...

1. Never ever play anything in a language different that it's native one. I made that an official rule of myself. Most translations don't live up to their originals. For example, the german TF2 was HORRENDOUS!

2. Playbook, bro. And if that doesn't work google for a wiki. I did that with almost any game I bought and played online. Game wikias often have lots of useful information!

3. This is actually what caused me a headache at first as well. Of course one hit kill assassins are annoying, but I have realized, that there are LOTS of ways to deal with them properly. I generally play support and noticed, that the best ways to evade a grapple are jumping and, much funnier, grappling them first. If you succeed in a grapple a following shotgun blast is almost garuanteed to instantly kill them... Trust me, i've killed more assassins than anything else.... for some reason <.<

4. I do understand that, since it might come with the bad translation, but it should also have an entry in the playbook how endorsements are used.

5. ....I don't quite understand. I find it a-ok actually.

6. Again, there are a few ways to find out. Firstly, the playbook explains everything necessary about the skills, then there still is a wikia that has additional information.

7. The assault's skills... Well, improving the dash, improving the critical hit chance, improving flight and improving the bomb. Of course they primarily improve firepower... it's a fighting game!
  15. Fleder

Fleder New Member

16. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

I think the game or server automatically boots you if your load goes past a certain amount of time, though I'm not sure. When I try to connect sometimes it takes too long so I get sent back to the main menu with a "connection to host has been lost" message, but that was easily rectified by setting the game's processor priority to high. I have no trouble running the game on max @ 1920 x 1080 however, just a few load time issues here and there.
    Last edited: January 29, 2011
  17. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Locker Room is on the main menu.
  18. Fleder

Fleder New Member

thanks, i already found it.

but a little bit more feedback would be nice.
    are oyu planning to address those "bugs" and annoying stuff?

i dont want to end like i did with lead and gold, the last indie game i bought.
    they left us with a bugged and unbalanced game and now they wont throw out any new patches to fix this, but they work on new games now... im dissappointed. but i hope this wont happen here.

please keep us informed about this, thank you