How do you play?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by madmecha, April 4, 2014.

1. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Whats your go to type of play? When you get on PA how do you normally play. (type, number of players, number of planets etc).

I find the majority of the time it's with 4-6 AIs (normal mode) and me with anywhere from 1-3 planets.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I usually play against AI, as to how I play, any type of game really.

Lately I've just been doing 1v1's against the easy for some reason though.
    Like, I don't even kill the commander, I just destroy all his units and structures then watch him frantically try to rebuild.
    I guess it's because when I do anything against the normal/hard AI, 9 times out of 10 I just rush gunships and pray to The Founder that the AI doesn't get nukes up.
    Multi-planet spawns spices that up but even then since the AI tends to only use 1 asteroid it ends up being pretty one-sided.
    optimi likes this.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

You play to win ^^

Well its kinda all about the opening, i like to get 3 mex and 1 power before factory and continue econ (lotsa power gens) then bust out 4-5 factories for evil spamming, then at 1 point with even more eco to back you up, switch to T2 or orbital (well that could be T2 i guess)
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I too do singleplayer more than multiplayer. Most recently, I did a 2 planet game with 2 moons per planet and 3 AIs along with me. Felt like that should have been one of the matches in a campaign.

I also play with the Realm. Setting stuff up makes it more fun. However, I usually insist if we pick up randoms, to spread them out amongst the teams, instead of stomping them with a full Realm team. Because it makes the game much better. If we have 4 guys but don't want to play a 2v2, we will make a 2v2v2v2 with 1 Realm guy each, or a 4v4 with 2 Realm guys each.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't like large free for alls. I like one team vs one team. I also prefer Army games as opposed to 1v1s.

Give me a good 2v2/3v3/4v4/5v5 and I'm very happy.
    stormingkiwi and EdWood like this.
  6. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Currently 1v1's on single planets, mainly moons. I will expand to more planets and players when the game balance is worked out and I have a better gpu to even handle more planets xD
    wheeledgoat and cptconundrum like this.
  7. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I usually play on a single medium sized planet, with three or four players maximum. But lately the new balance of the game puzzled me, so I'm being honest, I'm waiting a more stabilized build, to get back playing PA.
    madmecha likes this.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's the same as me. I try to play on other planets sometimes, but desert and lava have pathfinding problems, naval is slow and not really balanced right, and too many trees always kill my framerate.
    wheeledgoat and madmecha like this.
  9. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

I hear ya on that play style. Done that many times myself as well, I find commander sniping to be a dull way to win.

As others have mentioned, with the recent power/balance shifts things are a bit odd now. Earlyer on I did play more Multi-player but due to everything that's happened recently I don't play multiplayer as much now.

Once we can set up AI to be a teammate of you, I will play more team play battles for now what we have limits it. Having multi commanders and minds working behind an army I find to be a very enjoyable game. It's just the lack of balance right now that's really interfering with that for me.

Playing vs the AI as many times as I have, I can say for certain... it cheats. It down right cheats.
  10. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I play on moons and can still get quite abit of lag xD but ya hopefully soon things will be better :)
  11. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

The lunar moons I find cause lag in a different way. Since everyone is free to expanding anywhere they want TONS of stuff ends up being biuld and produced causing lag from to many bodies. So it's kinda a catch 22 I find for planets.

Really wish Naval would get some tweeks sooner rather then later :( Water planets are just about unplayable due to problems and being unbalanced.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Indeed.

No it doesn't.
    I mean, the hard AI cheats a little in terms of economy, but the other AI's definitely don't.
    If they did, you wouldn't see them scout early game.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

On a 600 or 650 moon though, the game is usually over inside of 20 minutes and it never gets that bad.
  14. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Define cheating in this case?

Is the AI playing by the same rules as us? No, Hell No

For example...

It is one thing to have scouted out an enemy base during the first few minutes of a game. And another to perfectly position pelters out of range of your pelter when they have no Radar or other way of knowing were your "new" pelter is placed.

A single Aircraft Fab cannot out produce 2 land fabs (when bother are at 100%)

Even with a Radar up and running you cannot perfectly guess what those dots are. I will grant you can be good, and make educated guesses, but the AI is flawless. I even tested this out by trying to trick it and it knew where to send it's attack wave.

As mentioned by the Devs, I realize the computer has a flawless memory and can literally be 100 places at once. Those in themselves are "cheats".
  15. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

maybe sorian's AI is much smarter than we give it credit for. maybe you weren't tricking it, rather it was manipulating your decision-making, without your conscious knowledge. o_O

heh. jk. :D

or am I. ;)
    madmecha likes this.
  16. Shalkka

Shalkka Active Member

I have a asteroid map with 12 200 radius planets in which I play 5v5 shared teams alot.
  17. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

I like it :) Can imagine some very crazy things can happen with that set up.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

1vs1 PA Stats automatches
    reptarking and matizpl like this.
  19. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I usually play FFA or 2-3 person teams with 2 500-700 planets (multi-planet start) with 1, maybe 2 moons each.
    When I do 1v1, it's usually on a ~500 planet with a 200 moon, but often the moon goes unused anyway.
  20. Paappa

Paappa Member

I haven´t had lots of time to play as I´m franticly trying to get my bachelor´s thesis ready. I usually play small 4 player max FFAs and team games on 1-3 tiny to medium size planets. I need to upgrade my PC to move up on bigger systems. I might join up on 1vs1 automatches when I get my thesis ready.