Can we have teams where the AI can be on the same side as us?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by phib3roptix, April 2, 2014.

1. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

Please can we have team matches where the AI can side with humans?

Thanks
    RMJ, stormingkiwi and thetrophysystem like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I thought this was already possible with non shared army's...?
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

[​IMG]
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Sorian mentioned once that this is a UI limitation as the code already exists.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

6. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Agree I look forward to being able to do this. I always thought it would be great if we had a special unit that only the commander could build. Call them Decoy commanders if you will, but these Decoy commanders could be switched to be under AI control and do their own thing (build structures etc. ) So that if a player wanted they could have "help".

Most official tournaments would most likely restrict decoy commander AI use but for causal play I think many would enjoy it.
  7. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

Almost there - I have added an add ai button to the controls :) - just looking at the js and trying to get the button to fire the toggleAi method - but its not working - will have another look in a bit Untitled.jpg
    Quitch likes this.
  8. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

The button in team two seems to work ok. I think it may be the team validation part ...
  9. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

@garat - is there a nice way of debugging the js with control breaks?
  10. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

Only wanted it for local games and a few games with mates - we always seem to get an odd number of players :D
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Do you mean something like this? I've never tried it, so I don't even know if it works.
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

toggleAiControl is a method of ArmyViewModel not SlotViewModel, which follows the property being attached to army rather than slot.

I ran a few experiments with Instant Sandbox; with ai:false and empty slots, the game didn't start. With ai:true and empty slots, I ended up as a spectator.
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's a confirmed addition. It'll be added eventually.
  14. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Why would you want this?
    On alliances I understand, but it seems like it'd be awkward to share units with an AI.
  15. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Once the AI is fleshed out and you have options for stuff I think this could be really cool to play with and a nice feature for people who can't cope with the micro. For example you could get the AI to handle attacks and direct where you want them to attack, you also get your AI ally to eco/expand/tech/produce units/colonise other planets for you.
    DalekDan and BulletsFrozen like this.
  16. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

NOW we're talking!!!

This is becoming my kind of game.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm not sure that's actually going in. Last I recall sorian said it could be done, but they didn't appear to be actually going to do it.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

AI control where useful in regular old games would be fairly nifty.

Just having an AI ally intentionally not controlling units you are controlling would be cool too though. He have his own base and units, you have yours, even if shared army, like if the AI knew the polite rules for shared army, like don't use anything you are using, possibly use units you totally forget about for over a minute worth of time, but don't control units you are literally trying to click on to do stuff.

Later on, with personalities, just for fun, someone can design a rude AI for shared army games, where he constantly tries to control the unit your using, and if things look like you aren't doing as well as the enemy he will delete both commanders. LOL.
  19. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

I don't know it would work right now, but if so, I suspect it would be that you are allied with an AI but not a shared army.
  20. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I swear blind in the last game I played that my idle fabbers were doing their own thing. I ordered one fabber to build stuff. Went back a minute later, two other fabbers were assisting.. bearing in mind that this was the first fabber off the factory, the assisting fabbers hadn't been built, and the rally point was on the ground.

Then there was stuff a little later on with units doing their own thing.

Very scary. Quite concerning.