Things that just need to be done before release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Arachnis, April 1, 2014.

1. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

it's so FREAKING COOL that you guys lurk around the forums and read our input. though all the bitching, pissing and moaning that goes on, that alone is the only beacon of hope I need.

now... about seeing your version of that list... what's it gonna take? :cool:
    Arachnis, godde and drz1 like this.
  2. moldez

moldez Active Member

.. well yes exactly something like that, or for example:
    - idle engeniers
    - no/low power
    - "connected with" icon for gates
    - cloaked / uncloaked
    - a "crossair" on the planetsurface for the Laserplatform
    - linked factories (if ever added)
    - repeated build icon for factories ....

I can go on if you want ;-)
  3. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

No, it is not a good thing. If I have amassed an army of 200+ tanks I should have a fair chance of killing a commander. A player does not get a mass like that put together if they are not playing the game well.

There has been alot of talk about defensive structures being out of balance, but they can be overpowered by a large army. If a commander is chilling at near pelter range behind the defenses, the T1 army has no chance of getting through. Heck, they barely have a chance of getting a shot off.

People keep saying we need to keep T1 relevant yet are not addressing the fact that the Uber cannon is too cheap to use. It can fire once a second and has more splash damage than a Holkins. Plus every shot is targetted by direct input from the player. It is far too powerful, and before release it really should be taken down a few pegs.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Why would you build such a large army of t1 units? I think people sometimes go too far with the idea that t1 needs to stay relevant. What we mean when we say that is that t1 should always have a role. That doesn't mean t1 should be able to win the game or that t2 shouldn't be necessary. T1 units have a role. T2 has a role. So do nukes and halleys and walls. You don't try to raid metal fields with halleys and you shouldn't be attacking a commander with just t1.
  5. Nullimus

OK, you say t1 has a role. But if that role is limited to harrassment and little T1 skirmishes for just the first 10 minutes of a game. The only winning strategy is T2 rush. there should be more options than that.

Putting the role of T1 aside. the Uber cannon should not be able to decimate 10s of thousands in metal in a few seconds. It needs to be nerfed before release.
  6. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I would like big t1 armies being part of mid-late game but the uber cannon doesn't decimate 10s of thousands in metal unless you perfectly line up each unit to go in one by one single file towards the commander.
  7. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

double post sorry
  8. RevilZero

RevilZero New Member

Things to have before release:

***More units! Command and Conquer 1 had more unit diversity. Good on Building Diversity, really good really.
    There is a lot of cool stuff that can be done to enhance or expand gameplay, and why don't we have a T2 anti air ground unit?

***In game UI overhaul. Everything is really heavily gray. I know its easier to do, but can we have some color icons? We need new/better/revamped icons on some of the buildings and units. The teleporter icon looks like a scorpion. Some of them are good though. But color please please please.

Better background images.

Different kinds of suns. Though no green, physics, bah.

Weirdly shaped planets or ability to manually edit them in a general or specific way. Building low or high plateaus, lava on tropical, etc.

Orbital layer needs a lot of work. More diversity in orbital units. The ability to visually isolate a layer, by icons, would be a huge help.

I consider lobby bugs and weird movement and pathing bugs to be things that will be fixed regardless.

There are a lot of ways to work on unit balance, you can even add more unit types, hint :). More colorful things.

Boats - their pathing needs work

Laser Satellite instagibs, funny but bothersome.

I am not one of those people who thinks that T1 should be some hallowed thing that you never move on from. If you expand the unit type you can keep T1 a lot more viable in many more scenarios without worrying about how many x direct damage = some many of T2 direct damage.
    Like mobile Radar, or Radar jammers that have to overcome the enemy coverage power. No reason 1 jammer should defeat 5 radar sources , could even be a fun mechanic.
    Maybe unit spoofers
    Units that just shoot randomly in front of them at their range when activated.
    Mobile walls
    More than 1 type of AA, the shock, i know.
    Units that destroy or terraform planets or planetary features. T2 unit that can destroy metal deposits would be fun.

I could go on, but You get the idea.

I really worry that this game will go live with unit diversity that is non existent. I know having too many is overwhelming, and that's a hard line to walk. But it looks like the basic - direct damage short and heavy - direct damage long and fragile - direct damage medium and moderately armored-. And some fast thing.

You guys are smart, i know you can think of something!

Good ole Uber, Cheers!
    tristanlorius and cmdandy like this.
  9. Nullimus

Nick2k said: "I would like big t1 armies being part of mid-late game but the uber cannon doesn't decimate 10s of thousands in metal unless you perfectly line up each unit to go in one by one single file towards the commander."

100 tanks at 100 metal each equals 10000 metal. 100 tanks in a normal formation will get swatted like flies before you can even turn them around and get out of range of the commander's Uber cannon.
  10. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

I like how powerful the UI is but it needs to be less spam-able like you said. It should consume a lot more power, right now it's power usage is laughably puny and a single T1 Power Generator can support rapid fire.

I don't think a hard limit of X seconds is a good way to go.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

But what you are really saying here is that building a single large amy of 100 tanks and sending it in doesn't work. Build tanks in groups of 5 or 10 and send them out to areas you need a stronger presence in. Build doxes and send small groups around the map to slow your opponent's expansion. If you play like this, you can easily end up with a lot of units but you never have a single blob of them as big as you are saying. I'm actually surprised you even made it close enough to attack a commander playing like this, since it would never work against most of the people I play.

In general, t1 slows their expansion and t2 takes territory that they already control. I just wish turrets were a little more expensive to make it harder to defend outer areas from t1.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  12. Nullimus

30 seconds is probably too long but a cool down plus an available power requirement would be steps in the right direction. By available power limit I mean stored power. The commander should be able to store enough power for one shot. currently the commander can store 20k power. I feel that is a reasonable amount of power to need for one shot.
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Have you ever actually tried this and seen how much damage your commander takes? He can do it once, maybe twice and is then left almost dead, highly snipeable and with a hefty 25k metal cost to repair. So yeah, cost effective and a good way to force the game towards a win.
    moldez likes this.
  14. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I have to say that I think the change to commander health was a really brilliant way to nerf com rushes. They are now almost always not worth it, but the com's ability to defense has remained top-notch. Really excellent balancing there.
    jtibble likes this.
  15. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I just wish there was some way to jump right into the action in some kind of flashy manner when you're in the orbital view. Like, if you could see from space where battles are going on, where the bases and the armies are, signalized through little strategic icons, or by highlighting areas red. And if you click on one of those icons you will zoom in rapidly, with motion blur and all the good stuff.

Maybe even some kind of short text message besides those icons, when you mouse over them, Warhammer 40k-style.

It would create a lot of immersion imo, and bring more overview over the interplanterary battle.

What about a minimap of the solar system, that you can turn on or off instead of that dull list of planets? (or maybe it turns itself on automatically when you build your first orbital radar.)
    It would be easier to keep track of interplanetary travel, and you could use the PIP for something else.

Just some ideas.