Required things to make this thing work competitively

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Clans, Team, and Tournament' started by grimbar, January 26, 2011.

1. grimbar

grimbar New Member

To bring forth the discussion a bit.

It is absolutely vital and a 100% requirement to have a tournament mode in this game.

No auto-start from lobby, when tournament-mode is set wait for people to set themselves to ready (100% of them, not some ratio) to start. Obviously you need to be able to pick the map too.

The above is the bare minimum for a flourishing competitive scene, without that we can't properly start scrimmages (people resort to playing 1 "warmup round" at the moment)

The ability to record POV demos would be much appreciated, not only to judge whether a person is playing using illegitimate enhancements but also to help people step up their game.

While this may not be news to the competitive people, we still need to make our wishes vocal and public so we can enjoy this game to it's fullest potential.

Addendum: I do not want any "disable juice purch" or other cries in here, nor is this for discussions about game balance or class limits. The game should be played default until fundamental flaws are uncovered (that won't happen anytime soon, no matter how strongly you believe that)
  2. OD78891

OD78891 New Member

I'm sure uber is already on it, but the more support for this, the better. MNC is getting big, and competitive game mode setting will surely keep the good and competitive crowd around.
  3. Jimster

Jimster New Member

I think that a spectator/replay mode alongside the ability to record demos will help competitive play kick off. This game has great potential, and these features would allow a broader analysis of the game's competitive nature; including strategy and the tactics that make up a successful one.

I know spectator mode and replays have been requested before on the 360 forums to no avail, however spectator mode has been much more frequent on the PC platform.
  4. grimbar

grimbar New Member

It's quite common to bar spectators from competitive matches, demos would need to suffice (the issue of ghosting is most commonly brought up regarding this topic)

However this is exactly the feedback we need, keep it coming.
  5. Jimster

Jimster New Member

Yeah I know what you mean about ghosting, however it's still a useful feature and if such a situation should occur, in professional gaming situations spectators are added for streaming/commentary.
  6. grimbar

grimbar New Member

yeah GTV/STV solve such things nicely because you can control the delay on it, that would eliminate the ghosting altogether, not sure how unreal engine 3 is in that regard (only know the bare basics about configuration, never dabbled with actual code)
  7. Providence

Providence New Member

Spectator mode is a must. Great way to catch cheaters. It'd also allow commentators to watch the game and stream it.
  8. grimbar

grimbar New Member

What the spec sees is not what actually happens in most FPS, you'd only catch the most obvious triggerbots with it but no decent cheater (they do exist, shoutouts to my man beavern)
  9. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

On ut2004 there was a feature called UTV that allowed for extra server to be hosted for speculating only of another server. It didn't ship with the game so the feature was never really widely used. UE3 might have something from that but I'm not sure. Epic is really lazy in the feature department for UE3 with competitive and PC things.
  10. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

If you're gonna have a stream feature for commentators then you should have Mickey Cantor muted server-side, with his triggers appearing for the commentators so they themselves can comment on when the annihilator is ready and such. You could also have it be optional whether this applies to the game itself (as long as you're sure the commentators are neutral and will be muted in team VoIP when a mic is used) or if Mickey Cantor commentates normally for the players' end.

Ghosting seems a bit moot considering the top-down view you get on death + the announcer and crowd sounds whenever an event occurs. Plus you can practically see the entire arena in most situations unlike other shooters were there is far more opaque cover or much larger maps.