Lag is harder in this build

Discussion in 'Support!' started by raphamart, April 1, 2014.

1. raphamart

raphamart Member

It's only me or everyone perceived that lag seems much harder in this build?
  2. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I think I'm getting more, yes. Though I've had some larger games, too, with buildups across multiple planets.
  3. raphamart

raphamart Member

In my case, i've been experiencing a kind of lag that paralizes the game for some seconds since the beginning in larger matches. When I reach the mid game it is already almost impossible to play.
  4. lloyd91

lloyd91 New Member

I only bought the game yesterday and I've only been on sandbox to learn the ropes. Even so I'm getting really bad lag. At first I though I had my settings too high but I've learnt how to check the FPS and I'm running at 30fps! Why am I getting such bad lag while playing on my own?
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It doesn't matter if you play against AI or humans. The servers are still at Uber, so even with an AI you are still playing online. This will change once the game gets released. Then you will have the server part on your own computer and can play offline, but for now there is too much development going on to release the server part.
  6. lloyd91

lloyd91 New Member

My internets pretty fast, is there anything else I can do to improve the smoothness of gameplay?
  7. DeathByDenim

Not too much. If you play over Wi-fi, try plugging in an Ethernet cable. The lag you are seeing is visible in units "jumping" from on spot to the next, right?

Also, PA needs a lot of bandwidth. It's 2 Mbit/s minimum. What's your definition of "pretty fast" internet?
  8. stormseeker

stormseeker New Member

Is this still true when starting a new game of your own? I assumed this would be hosted locally on my machine but now you make me doubt it.

I experience lag later in a game when lots of units were on multiple planets. Graphically, I believe I am OK. I only have about 2Mb internet connection though monitoring my system resources, I did question why one core was 90%+ constantly and the other three cores were 10-25% load. I hear much about this games support for multicore CPUs, but even with searches of "cpu performance" and "game lag", I am unable to find any info in the forums or the bug tasklist. I suspected the lag to be coming from the multi-core CPU optimisation not yet being optimised?

Any advice/info from anyone?
  9. DeathByDenim

Yes, it's true. Even if you host the game, the game is still running on Uber's servers, not on your computer. This will change after release though.

You can check the performance using Ctrl + P. That will cycle you through the various performance windows. There are client, server and sim. But you are probably right that the lag is due to the network connection. 2 Mbps is kind of the lower limit. Although optimizations are in the pipeline of course.
  10. obiwantoby

obiwantoby New Member

Sim speed for me has been awful. If we do multi planet battles , Sim usually drops to .5 - 1 fps. The game becomes unplayable. It is my understanding that this is completely server dependent. It feels far off from the 40 person million unit games. Having said that , I do love this game. The sooner slideshow games stop , the better !
  11. DeathByDenim

That's surprising. I would have thought the network would be the bottleneck before the sim would start lagging. Interesting. How large are your planets any how many are there? Just curious. :)
  12. obiwantoby

obiwantoby New Member

Two planets usually, on the larger side. I've done 4 smaller ones too. Monitoring my bandwidth, I do not see huge spikes in traffic, nothing near the 2Mbps limit it seems.

I've seen a few others talk about sim speed issues does not seem to be common. It isn't an issue if the game lats 15 minutes. Sometimes (especially if there are multiple teams) the games can go on for a bit. This has happened with and without AI.