Nukes, anti-nukes, and ways to change them for the better.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, March 30, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That's true.
    Hopefully Uber will make it so interplanetary nukes will only hit planets when they are close, like when the two orbits synch and the planets align, or at least come close to aligning.
  2. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Agree I hope it's not going to be a fire and forget it setup where position/distance are not really factored in other then travel time. Having "windows" to fire nukes off would be an interesting idea to see put into action.

Or perhaps these long range nukes will be lighter payloads since they need to travel further.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Tha could work too.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

It might be a lot easier to scout if we had persistent strategic icons. zooming in to look at the fog of war and scanning for nuke launcher is an awful way to do it.

Personally I think the current multi-purpose nuke needs to be separated. The interplanetary nukes need to be much easier to defend against (maybe make them targetable by umbrellas or something)

And I still think anti-nukes are way too expensive for their range. nukes cost twice as much, and they can target ANYWHERE. anti-nuke range is pitiful compared to base size.

I am well aware there are ways of countering nukes. the problem is at lower levels of play, people just can't/don't do them, making nuke spam by far the most effective strategy. This causes people to just use said strategy and not improve their play at all in other areas.

part of the problem also lies in the relative effectiveness of turrets compared to anti-nukes. Right now it is somewhat a challenge to overwhelm a decent number of turrets, but it is pathetically easy to overwhelm/avoid anti-nukes. We need to have some parity between point defense and other defensive structures.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  5. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Nearly every multi-planet PACE match that I have viewed does end by nukes or orbital sniping.
    However few tournament matches use multi-planet systems; most play on small moons.
    Scouts and radar is more effective on small planets so matches end in under 30 minutes, often before nukes are utilized.
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

it seems we need cheaper, faster and less powerful orbital lasers to have more of a role in taking out nukes and not be countered by umbrellas so easily
  7. Regabond

Regabond Member

A lot of the ideas offered up by the OP seem out of place, but there's a few good points in there as well.

1) Not a fan of different armors for different units. Also the point of nukes are to kill bases/armies, finish commanders off, or soften them up for the final assault. Not for sniping commanders specifically from full to dead and that still requires 2 nukes to make it past any defenses you may have set up.

2) It would be nice to see anti-nukes drop in price maybe 10% if other alternatives are not set up.

3) Different types of Anti-Nukes would be cool. They couldn't be as drastic as OP described because that would require micro and telling which anti-nuke to fire when. Having the option to build short range anti-nukes would be pretty awesome. They'd cost a lot less but cover a very limited area. They'd be more of last resort cheap missile. Their range would be short enough that the edge of a nuke explosion could still hit the anti-nuke launcher. This would mean that anti-nuke silos wouldn't come with a prebuilt anti-nuke, or maybe just one of these cheap ones. Micro could be removed here by having the anti-nukes fire their best, longest range anti-nuke first before using the cheaper shorter ranged missiles.

Infinite anti-nuke storage isn't needed though. Anti-nuke silos can already store 3x the amount a nuke silo can hold.

4) I would prefer to see a land or orbital based anti-nuke unit that takes 3 or 4 shots to destroy a nuke with a slow RoF. This would require multiple of these units to be stationed within an army keep it safe from a single nuke, but could take passing shots at nukes flying overhead to hit other locations. If an aircraft was used it would need to be speed up quite a bit.

5) Redirecting nukes would be a cool and useful alternative to anti-nukes. The important part would be that the nuke gets captured and becomes your nuke so it can be shot down still by the launcher's anti-nukes.

6) I would like to see alternative nukes such as a kamakize nuclear bomber.
  8. rainexxx

rainexxx New Member

Just add an anti-nuke "Umbrella" laser system that requires massive energy, but can shoot down nukes. That way, the anti-nuke, and nukes can stay untouched, and as is. Just my opinion, don't eat me alive. lol