Shiny New Player

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by PretzelBagel, January 25, 2011.

1. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

Welcome to the game, friend :). There are many excellent guides in the strategy sections of both 360 and PC forums. If you are interested in watching videos with commentary, I have been doing PC MNC videos since beta launched.

I'm also thinking of doing a new series of quick tip type videos that cover very basic concepts that new players should understand early on. If you are interested, a link to my channel is in my signature.
  2. Rammite

Rammite New Member

First few days, and you're playing the support that a pubber can only dream of. You're off to a great start.

You should balance money between your base and your skills. There's no "best" way, so upgrade them as you see fit, just make sure you don't neglect either of them.

There is no limit to hacks, but hacks do go away after a while. If you hack a turret, the hologram displaying the level will change - level 3 hacking a level 2 laser blazer will show 2.3, where the .3 is your hack. That .3 will also slowly hollow out, becoming only a border. It's like seeing your health bleed out from overheal in TF2.

I'm not the best support, but a fairly good strategy when juiced is to destroy bots with your Heal/Hurt gun. If you see an enemy player, shotgun them for an instant-kill (Shotgun's already deadly, and juice makes all attacks three times stronger)
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

That's really a matter of personal preference but I like to start the game upgrading Hack and Firebase up to level 2. For my playstyle that's all I really need besides Hack 3, the rest of what I earn goes into base defense and spawning bots.

There isn't a limit on how many turrets you can hack but the hack skill wears off over time. You'll notice the hack number, 2.X, will drain giving you a visual of how much time is left on the hack. You can re-hack a turret at anytime.

Imo try to destroy a couple enemy turrets. Using your hurt gun so it can auto-lock onto the turret while you jump and dodge enemy fire and grapple attempts. It's up to you whether you want to suicide run it or play it safe and retreat afterwards.

It's also good to counter juice an incoming enemy. Fight Fire with Fire.
  4. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

I'd just like to add a couple tidbits to DeadStretch's answers.

I always go Hack and Firebase level 2 as well. I then either grab Hack 3 if I'm playing really defensively or pick up Airstrike 2 and 3 first if I'm pushing the offense. There is not a perfect cookie cutter upgrade pattern so make judgment calls based on how the game is going. That goes for just about every class in the game. As a support, you want to heal your teammates, fortify your base, have a hacked firebase in or around a bot lane, airstrike enemy firebases and low level turrets, and pick up shotgun kills where you can. It's a lot to ask for even an experienced player to balance all of these perfectly but support is great when done properly.

I generally get my first juice from overhealing close to the same time as the assassin on the other time comes to wreck our turrets. I usually save mine to get out of shitty situations and counter juiced base rushers. If you find the other team isn't getting to your base or not getting juice, use it offensively. Heal/Hurt juiced is great because it drops most targets pretty quickly and you don't have to aim (so focus on bunny hopping like crazy :p). Juiced shotgun is a one-shot to most classes but you need to close the distance. I find it's much easier for me to drop tanks and gunners with a juiced shotty.

Oh, and make sure you look up before you hack so you can see in front of you while typing on the keyboard.
  5. zar

zar Member

As an almost religious Assassin player, I will give you one tip.

If you decide to front grapple someone, lunge swing at them first to soften them up, and then do it. Depending on what endorsements and class they are, they will either be dead or close to dead. Now, most players will try and say, Slam, Grapple or some other close combat ability. Usually right after you're done with your grapple. At this point, JUMP! Jump, and then lunge at them again. They are now dead.

This however isn't really helpful if you're against a over healed tank. In that case, smoke bomb and flee!
  6. PretzelBagel

PretzelBagel New Member

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I've been rotating Assassin and Support based on who selects what when the game starts. One time we had everything but a Tank, so I tried him out. Lets just say I now have a deep hatred of Snipers. :p

So far I've found that the Assassin is alot more useful when I farm juice and then go wreck the enemy's turrets, as opposed to running around and trying to backstab everyone. I tried the Sniper for a few games and yeah, my aim is nowhere near good enough to play him. >.>

Support is incredibly fun, though frustrating at times if they have a competent Assassin on their team. This is compouned when I get teams that run away from juiced Assassins who are wrecking our base as opposed to grappling them / stalling them in order to waste their juice. I found a guide for an offensive Support over in the strategy section, so I think I'll give that a try next time I play him.

So far I have 3 custom classes unlocked and have them set up for Tank, Assassin, and Support. Might change the Tank to Assault, but not too sure yet.