Be an offensive player or GTFO

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Imsoooometal, January 27, 2011.

1. Imsoooometal

Imsoooometal New Member

As Support I heal people I sometimes probably shouldn't. I clear lanes and always go for bots before pros. I put my body on the line to hack turrets. I spend hard earned cash on turrets while my more offensive minded teammates (its what their class does) go off looking for kills.

Me? 8-23-8 $3100
    Them? 25-8 $4200

The moral of the story? Don't bother helping.
  2. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Are you saying you lost because they were too focused on TDM than the objective?
  3. Imsoooometal

Imsoooometal New Member

Not even close. I've been playing since August. I know what I'm doing.

My point is...I can go out and put a fuckton of work out and watch as assassins ignore the bots that are attacking the moneyball to go for that insta-kill and in the end, even if my score is 1:1 with triple the assists, I will NEVER get as much cash as someone that ignores objective and goes for kills.

Something should reflect in the end score that you've been buying turrets. Or upgrading.
  4. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

You earn money when turrets you build make kills.
  5. Imsoooometal

Imsoooometal New Member

I understand that. My problem is almost every game I'm having to spend my hard earned cash to protect a base that no one seems to care about.

I've loved this game since August but, there's just SO MUCH they could have done to force the objective on people so they don't go out padding K:D and ignoring the bots running around the moneyball:

1. Buff bots
    2. Buff turrets
    3. ????
    4. Profit
  6. Airwags

Airwags New Member

The fact that your team won reflects your hard work. Individual stats don't tell the whole story. If your going for money then yes, be an offensive player. If your going for the win, be a team player and forget about how much money you make.
  7. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

I can see you point. Every time I play support it's hard to earn money to use to help, let alone earning money cumulatively. And many people agree turrets can feel useless when the enemy team rushes your defenses endlessly.

But I think the other guys are right when they say the bigger picture counts. Can you imagine overtime kicking in and all your defenses actually pay off? Overtime happens a lot and is annoying.
  8. Kolcro

Kolcro New Member

I can get a good ammount of cash playing support by holding down a portion of the mid-feild. It is necessary to have a good firebase position that will clear out a bot lane.

This works even better on maps where your "outside" nubs can back you up out in the mid (such as steel peel and spunky)

This type of positioning gets me decent amounts of cash and a good amount of kills through defense. Other team attacks me -- I run and the FB and turret take 'em out

Attack the turret -- a shotgun to the back of the head.

This works even better if you're with another (smart) support who can watch that other lane, allowing your other pros to push to the ball.
  9. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

We can only hope that Uber addresses some of the cashflow issues the support has, especially a healing/defensive support.

It has been suggested by players to give more cash for healing or an assist if you're healing a teammate and they get a kill. I think the devs responded that they are looking into the issue, which is very hopeful.
  10. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

Who cares how much cash you have at the end of the match, especially if your team won??

It may just be me, but I could give a **** about my k/d, or my standing at the end of the game.

I know that my contribution was a big part of my team winning. The stats at the end never show that.

Im sure a lot of players on this forum have seen me at the bottom of the team standings lots of times, but hey know as well as I do that I did my part in helping my team win, even if I didn't go positive or whatever.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but money isn't everything...

Anyway, as Jen said the devs are looking into making the support more money.
  11. syntaxbad

syntaxbad New Member

What ZombieChaos said.

If my team wins, and I know I helped, then I'm happy. The instant I bought my 6th custom slot, my career earnings stopped mattering to me. Honestly, I'm much more excited to see what protags I earned during the match than what my earnings were. What do I care what a group of strangers think of my "stats"? I'm playing to have a good time.

As for in-game cashflow, I play support 80% of the time and I don't have much trouble making money. Gap shots pay forthemselves and more if protected. A well placed firebase is an ATM, and you'd be surprised how many unsuspecting pros you can pick off with the shotgun as they run blindly around a corner. Also, make sure to taunt after kills.
  12. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

I would love if they did #1 and #2. And I think you should get more cash for bots kills and less cash for pro kills.
  13. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

You barely need turrets in the PC version anyways. Its too easy to keep bots out of your base already.

This is not DOTA.
  14. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

The pros that go for player kills are useful to the team because they stop juiced players before they reach the base. Thus protecting the turrents. I have noticed that a well placed firebase can mean game over sometimes. Support players have their place, but they are dependant on other pros to be successful at their job. This is why you see sooooo many gunner/support combos.

You have to learn to defend your turrents as well. As assault, tank, or gunner, I am concerned with containing enemies and destroying bots, not necessarily defending the base by camping there and taking the pros out as they come. Snipers can be one of your best friends. Defensive assassins can also be great because they can backstab pros before they can juice, giving your turrets a better chance of survival.

One way to be an offensive player from the back is to build longshots. I plan to experiment with longshot placement in the next few days. Longshots will take out pros and bots from a long way away, but they have really low health. If you could get 2 or 3 of those things built, upgraded, and hacked, you could be a major defensive-offensive force.
  15. Ian

Ian New Member

Lies. I often get $1,000 or more than my teammates, with much less kills. Go kill some bots.
  16. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

It kinda is. And it is often described as a TPS DOTA. So, it wouldn't hurt to use some of the tried and true concepts from the genre. Stronger bots and turrets would be awesome.
  17. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

Play a different class, a support is made for helping your team, if that means you get less cash so be it.
  18. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

mnc for steam is running 5 bots per wave now. if you ignore them, they will crack open your base and walk in all on their own now. forced the objective on player? accomplished. just get steam or wait for a patch.
  19. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Are you telling us you think there will be larger bot waves in a future patch? I hope not. There are frame rate issues as it is.
  20. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

Fixed.