Pro Tip: How to absolutely murder snipers as assault

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by zarakon, January 12, 2011.

1. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Grenades!

Yeah, that's right, grenades.

You may not have noticed, but they will explode in midair after travelling a far enough distance, just like shells from an AA gun. This means that as long as you put yourself at the right distance, you don't need a direct hit, you just need to get somewhat close. Just aim a bit above the sniper's head, and he's dead. A sniper with no armor endorsements will die in 2 grenade hits.

Since snipers tend to sit in a few fairly predictable spots, that means you only have to learn a limited number of counter spots to shoot from. For example, the distance from the center to the rear bridge of Spunky arena is perfect for this.

Now get out there and make some dirtbag snipers cry!
  2. JaneWayne

JaneWayne New Member

[​IMG]

Grenades are scary as a Sniper :(
  3. Rammite

Rammite New Member

I... did not know this was effective until now.

As an Assault main constantly bothered by Snipers, I love you.
  4. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

Unless they made a change to the PC version (I haven't really played it on PC recently), I still think that the bombs are the best thing. Snipers are really easy to ring out with bombs, and even if they don't, they are on fire and have half health.
  5. Goose

Goose Active Member

Just like everything the Assault does, this is actually quite difficult. After the first grenade, most Snipers can evade the next few.
  6. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

And on gunner you can pound his spot with triple mortar, works pretty well.

Even if you don't kill him, making the sniper hide for a few seconds to recover hp makes life more secure.
  7. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

yeah, but we're talking about two very different situations

my flak gun thing is only for very long range, and bombs require you to be close

not very easily with gold RoF!

besides, most snipers just assume they only need to make a little sidestep to dodge incoming grenades, not realizing what's really happening
  8. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Oh yes, I love this trick. You can combine this with bankshots on Steel Peel and they won't even be able to hide behind the screens.
  9. wubnasty

wubnasty New Member

Great tip, thanks! I've been working on my Assault lately and the class playstyle is so different from Gunner it's a tough adjustment. You are an absolute beast with the class, please stop ringing me out all the time.

This tip will definitely help out a lot of Assault players; I know it helped me!
  10. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

All depends on their endorsements.
  11. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Armorless snipers are instakilled by a bomb. Fly in reach, aim well and detonate. If you're lucky, you'll get a headcrab.

If armored, he will either get rung out or be on fire for a quick finish.
  12. NeLoDK

NeLoDK New Member

On Spunky Cola Arena, the grenades doesn't travel far enough, I don't get how I'm supposed to take them out when they sit in the far back of the map, just above bot spawns.

Just played a match, the sniper went 59-13, but we won, and it makes me rage a little inside that he is just kill whoring.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

bombjump to him
  14. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

explosives reap snipers. if you havent noticed, most snipers dont run with speed nor can they pick them up. explosive area is hard to escape. by time the first triple mortar hits, assuming that somehow doesnt OHKO, its too late to move far enough not to get hit again. same with grenades, if they are autodetonating at your range, then you have a second to move several meters away from the AreaOfExplosion. since thats barely possible with assassin, the assault has to literally miss for you to live.

but seriously, all you have to do to reap snipers as assault, is play assault. autowin.

NOTE: from perch to perch on grenade is perfect range for the grenades to explode and kill snipers. walk up a few feet and you can even richocet them just a little to reach hiding snipers. the only way the sniper will live is an instant jump into the center, which will get him killed anyhow.
  15. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

don't forget about charging while in the air, not a lot of assaults do that, it makes me sad at how bad they are :( and i suck as an assault on pc so that's saying something
  16. Shmyea

Shmyea New Member

You forgot the more important point: Fly everywhere...

My main class is a sniper and the most annoying thing for me is assaults flying everywhere.. It means they can't set off traps, can't be grappled and are damn hard to head shot.
    Fly in, toss a nade. Sor'ed.