[REL] Show offline status v1.1 [63234]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by DeathByDenim, March 27, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

This mod tells you if your fellow players are still connected to the game or not. Now you don't have to worry if you are playing against a ghost or not.

showoffline1.png showoffline2.png
    (ignore the little note icons, those are from another mod... Also first screenshot is old. Only OFFLINE shows, not ONLINE)

This information used to be available in the UI before the gamma update. I expect it will return in one of the upcoming patches, but in the meantime I've created this mod. Note however that it does not work for shared team games due to the way that player information is sent from the server. It works fine for Free-for-all's and probably also for team games without shared armies.

Available on PAMM.

Version 1.0: Initial release
    Version 1.1: Only show OFFLINE when a player is offline. Don't bother with showing ONLINE.

Attached Files:

Last edited: March 31, 2014
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

In a game with team shared armies, a missing player leaves his commander for the other players to use anyway.

Why would you absolutely need to know the player is missing? I played a game with a missing person, used his commander just barely enough attention stretched between mine and his, and didn't affect the winning outcome for my team.

It is influencial, but it isn't playing a ghost if someone else can control that commander anyway. Your mod is adequate enough to warn against playing ghost, and it is very useful indeed as most the time it ends up being the bummer when you play a 1v1 and you spend 6 minues just to realize other guy early disconnect, while with your mod you would notice isntantly.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A screenshot, or at the very least a description of what this behaviour looks like, would be invaluable.
  4. DeathByDenim

True enough, but one usually tries to communicate with one's teammates, right? And one needs to know if the other player is even there or not before taking over his/her commander, I assume. I must admit I rarely play shared army games though. :)

Good point.
  5. Quitch

Isn't red also the colour used for annihilated? It would seem sensible to use a different colour.
  6. DeathByDenim

Well, I was annihilated. :)
    It's just the ONLINE/OFFLINE text below the name that matters.
    Quitch likes this.
  7. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

How about showing the text only when the player is offline? That's the exceptional case - there is no need to take space in the normal case. Also, the texts "ONLINE" and "OFFLINE" are so similar - only two characters difference - that you cannot see it easily with a glance that which one it is.
    DeathByDenim, Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  8. DeathByDenim

Ah, right. That's a good idea. I'll change it.
  9. Quitch

LOL! I totally derped and didn't see it :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  10. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

This is so awesome.
    Will save me unaccountable "Still here ?"
    Very useful at game start (choosing spawn) in team game, or when game has ended and you'd like to chat with the opponent(s).
    Don't know why Uber removed it in the first place o_O
  11. DeathByDenim

I think they simply broke it during the gamma update and haven't got round to fixing it yet. This mod just reexposes the on/off-line mechanism that is still present in PA. And it's broken in the sense that it doesn't work for shared armies, so I can see them hiding this functionality until they fix that.
  12. DeathByDenim

And done! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Update is available on PAMM.
    Remy561 likes this.