How To Add Soul

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, March 26, 2014.

1. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

I like the idea of the scout being a large wheel, with a bot body in the middle.

As to the bomb bots, I kinda like the spider body but feel they need to get Leap, and heck let them crawl across moutains for sneaky attacks. After all they are spiders :)

As to the OP I fully agree, more uniqueness to units is good. Just have to watch that fine line between being cool and unique and overly distracting but Uber can do it. I'd love to see some units that "unpack" like the Commander does in the demo videos and we see in Sci Fi.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

wow, the line between derailed and still barely on topic is blurring as this thread continues! :p
    websterx01 likes this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

4. tatsujb

What the game needs isn't units that stand out. (I mean, it does need it, that would be great, everybody remembers the Big Bertha or the Cybran Destroyer.)

To fix the soul of the game, there needs to be STRATEGY, TACTICS :
    [​IMG]

And I think what would help with that alot would be more terrain influence/use and generally more HP.
    Geers and ace902902 like this.
  5. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Blizzard found a way of giving their units personalitys by adding voices and a small picture to it, just saying how blizzard is doing since warcraft 2 (possibly warcraft 1 but i never played the first one)
    Even starcraft buildings had that advisor... maybe creating something on those lines
  6. tatsujb

Yuck!
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  7. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

I enjoy that sort of thing a lot... but ONLY in Starcraft. It would be quite out of place here.
  8. comham

comham Active Member

How to build soul:
    1) Play the game when you are 7 years old and it's the first RTS you've touched, the magic of nostalgia will build an imperishable mountain shrine of soul which will affect how you view every RTS after that point
    2) Play the game (as an adult) for 600 hours because you find the gameplay morish; this repeated exposure to the art assets will create a certain attachment, however not as strong as the nostalgia of youth
    camycamera, tehtrekd, mered4 and 2 others like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Pyrobeetle?
    Fire-flee?
    Pyro-roller?
    Fire-Spider?
  10. tatsujb

FireBeetle? :D
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

WARHAMMER FOURTY FRIGGIN (over 9)THAUSAAAAAAND!!!!!
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Games Workshop are well known in many areas of the company for having very active lawyer teams. I doubt any kind of mod based on any GW IP wouldnt get very far before they heard from GW.

Mike
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... :( .... .... .... ok then star trek will do :D .... ahem ....
  14. emraldis

well on the modding front warhammer is actually often used, it's just indie games and such that get the hammer. (pun intended)
  15. emraldis

So it turns out we've been going about this the wrong way. If we wanted to add soul to the units in PA, we need to rewrite the game in python, then we can just use this command:

Code:
    import Soul
    For details: http://xkcd.com/413/
    BulletMagnet, cdrkf, SXX and 2 others like this.
  16. KNight

Oh sure, the people GW has/had licensed their IPs to can make thier games, but everyone else gets a contacted by Laywers.

Mike
  17. emraldis

No, I mean that in general GW has been fairly OK about mods, it's indie games they crack down on.
  18. KNight

Such as?

Mike
  19. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Having each unit type have a unique beep-boop cliché robot type sound when selected might be a step towards giving the units a bit of personality.
  20. emraldis

Exterminatus, 4000 sins, a bunch of warhammer classic MTB conversions, just to name a few. There is also a UDK "Mod" called UT40K that I helped develop for a bit, I think it's still going.