How To Add Soul

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, March 26, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Accept jesus as your lord and saviour.

The trick is to add just enough uniqueness to a unit so that is distinct from others, but not so much that it stands out and/or looks out of place.

I think an excellent example is Droidekas in Star Wars.

[​IMG]

They didn't walk. No no, they were too cool for that. They transformed into a wheel and rolled into battle! In PA terms I'd say we need a roly poly land scout instead of some generic dune buggy. Remember Vulture Droids? When the landed they became walkers! But! But! They all fitted in! If you saw a picture of a large battle with Vulture Droids and Droidekas in them your eyes didn't immediately gravitate toward them.

Of course, you can't make everything completely unique, there has to be some unity. After all, it is an organized armed force. There are no casual Fridays here! But if each, or at least most units had their own little "thing", it would add a lot to the overall personality of the game.

It took me ages to find a video with a Droideka and make that gif so you people better appreciate it.
  2. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I vote for a thread title change to - Why droidekas should be in PA
  3. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

i gave ya a like for the gif!

but I thought they were called "destroyers" ? isn't that what ObiWan called them when alerting QuiGon during his Imma-gonna-melt-this-door-with-my-lightsaber maneuver?

so far as the content of your post, yeah, totally agree. I'm really hoping part of Uber's final polishing phase for 1.0 release will include lots of eye and ear candy... sounds, unit skins and visuals that make you go [​IMG] . It would make sense, since that stuff is least likely to break anything, wouldn't require much testing (that you would use the community for) and would make a very nice surprise for all the supporters.

We'll see!
  4. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

New sound tech effects for some units would really help. Also high tech tanks that have been perfected over countless years of war should not die in 3 shots from a Dox.
  5. Geers

I will be very surprised if PA never gets a Star Wars mod.

Both.
    madmecha likes this.
  6. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I am very inclined to find a 3d model of a droideka and find a way to shove it into PA
    Geers likes this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think great example of game with lot of unique units is Generals: Zero Hour:

I know many people don't like this game because it's not C&C, but it's great example for this topic because there is number of units I'm really like and one of most is GLA combat cycle that can go though some impassable terrain. :)
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  8. Geers

Upon further contemplation, perhaps the roly poly motion should be given to the Vulcans (I'm not calling them "Booms" because that's just plain silly).
  9. LetsOne

LetsOne Active Member

Looking at that video it would be call if they made tanks have tire tracks that disappear after like 10 seconds.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I loved zero hour- used to play it over LAN when I was at uni with the other house mates... The air force general ftw :D

I still think it looks good- the only problem with generals now is you can't zoom (once you get used to strategic zoom you just can't go back, I have same problem with OTA as well)
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually cam is adjustable though settings, but after some point rendering glitches appear. Main problem of ZH it's crashes and extreme simulation slowdown with lot of units, and dump AI...

But for 2003 it's was awesome game and there is number of units can be used as example. :rolleyes:
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Omg yes! Rolling bomb. But i still find their "spider" form cute.

They see me rollin', they explodin'!
    Geers likes this.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

TA has a megamap now!
    http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43736

It's not full strategic zoom, but pretty good for a game that old.
  14. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

Opportunity to call them Bowling Bombs should not be missed.

Opportunity to make them bowlable by the Commander should DEFINITELY not be missed.
  15. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

it rolls to cover distance quickly, then unfolds & spider-jumps its way to bombastic suicide glory? and using its spider legs, it clings for a beat before exploding, so you can anticipate the inevitable.
    Geers and vyolin like this.
  16. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

That reeks of Supreme Commander 2's naming schemes and boy, do I not want to see that come back in any way, shape or form!
    And different movement models? Hell, yes?
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

A bomb bot that rolls to its target, unfolds and jumps into spider form, then lands on the intended target, latches on, and detonates. Imagine a swarm attacking the commander.

:)
  18. bradbeattie

bradbeattie New Member

I know static base shields are out of the game, but personal unit shields? Has that been ruled out?
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Is that supcom's engine??
  20. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

No
    it uses westwoods SAGE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAGE_(game_engine)