100 Custom Commanders

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by carlorizzante, March 19, 2014.

1. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Fixed for you ;)
    shotforce13 likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

woah! I followed your advice just for:
    and gained 32Gigabytes! thanks man! :)
    shotforce13 and carlorizzante like this.
  3. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Tea?:)
  4. tatsujb

yis please, I've got cookies, help yourself!
    shotforce13 likes this.
  5. shotforce13

I understand your OP, i dont care for waste either, but im affraid theres nothing we can do about it.
  6. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Funny, I see "cup of tea" and "300mgs" and I'm like WHOA! That's a strong cup of tea! :D
    ArchieBuld, cdrkf, vyolin and 4 others like this.
  7. shotforce13

I like it stout lol.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  8. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Odd side note..
    My best friend and myself are "Dataphiles" we both love our math and doing statistic calculations.

My biggest worrie over this topic is not the "Wasted harddrive space" but more about the "Artwork Assets not being used".

I say that because statistically the odds of me ever seeing 1 of the 100 custom artworks is 1 in 5000+ "If i ever play online",
    And when sales go up after release those odds only get worse....

That's why i suggested this...
    As an offline/lan only gamer i thought that maybe the most awesome option/remedy to the situation...

if 100,000 people buy the game and 25% of those people are offline/lan only gamers then another 25,000 people will not get to see those assets..
    And the other 75,000 will have 1 in ~7,500 odds of ever seeing a custom commander..

It does seem a shame that $75,000 of artwork assets ($750 x 100) are just going to sit there never being seen by many many players..

I really do hope that uber discusses this with those backers and offers them an opportunity to have their custom commanders in game being used by the AI, so their custom commanders artwork can be shown off to the world...
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Badass idea, give 100 custom named AIs that use their respective backer's names. That would give them rightful glory too.
    carlorizzante, vyolin and stuart98 like this.
  10. tatsujb

Will you guys stop finding ways to devalue the higher tier backer's perks?

You're going to convince people once and for all that perks are just lies and that they should never ever invest like this again.
    beniesk likes this.
  11. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

+1 to letting the AI use all the commanders

Side note: new game mode, your commander vs 100 AI commanders. You can build anything, but the AI can only build orbital transports. Can you catch them all?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  12. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

OP must not know how much time, energy, and HDD space is wasted on unfinished or unused or unpurchased DLC content in other games. We're talking about literally $0.02 worth of storage space. This is a total non-issue.
    Quitch likes this.
  13. tatsujb

- 1 ! terrible idea! this attacks the com's uniqueness.

this is the deal that was made. art assets would be "wasted" so that higher tier backers could enjoy a really good reward.
  14. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

This is a great idea. I told it already. But it's so great, that I can't avoid to repeat myself.

In fact. That's a great idea.

It would be even greater if the legit owner of the single Custom Commander could define the "personality" of the AI that use his Commander. That way there would be an added value for who bought a Custom Commander as well as for everyone else.
  15. tatsujb

No it wouldn't, the custom commander to-be owner's opinion is being snuffed out in this affair... what if they want their appearance on the field to be special because of their commander? It won't be if people have grown tired of seeing it fighting the AI.
    Last edited: March 26, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  16. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Another issue on the note of storage space. What costs more? Your bandwidth or your hard drive storage?
  17. thetrophysystem

Exactly. Sadly enough, this conversation is over what is probably a gig of space at most. Now, I usually find games to either take less than half a gig, or over 10 gigs. It always appaul me when a game takes more than 10 gigs. However, if it took 10 gigs, and an update added a gig, I am already sunk in on 10 gigs, why in hell would I care about an additional one? Really, if it is 10, it might as well be 15 and I wouldn't care.

Also, maybe they should ask permission if the devs could allow them into AI rotation or not. (because it will be a player mod anyway, that would be possible to make right now if the commander models were in the game files already, the second they are they will be modded into ai models. For instance, remember the tank commander mod that replaced the alpha with the tank model and anyone using the mod saw that client side? Yeah, unavoidable)
  18. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

After going through this entire post I am a little if not somewhat confused about the entire thread. 100 custom Commanders I'm imediately drawn to because that aspect is just pure awesomeness, couldn't give a monkeys about harddrive space, even on a tiny *** 128GB SSD its of no concern when next gen games are between 20-50GB. Then I read the replys and so forth and the 100 custom commanders aren't for everyone? so who are they for? if we are only going to see like between 5-10, where are the rest? The higher end backers deserve something really special, I thought they were getting ONE unique commander and the really higher end backers were getting 1 custom commander where they can choose in an email what they want for weapon wise ect. So ummm... that isn't 100 custom commanders? I thought those would be exclusive only to the few that backed a huge *** amount, which surely would not be that many? using the existing assests, so where does the 100 come from?
  19. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Maxpower explicitly stated it would be "opt-in" when he suggested it.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  20. thetrophysystem

100 individual backers, are each making 1 unique commander a piece. Meaning each backer makes their own commander, and each backer's commander is made by devs. Meaning the devs are making 100 seperate commanders, all based on 1 per backer, and all 100 are going into the game. The backer is the only one allowed to use that commander in the game, plus they get one free code for one other person to use it AFAIK.

For instance, our resident Knight is designing his own commander in blender I believe, based off the bones and weapons of current commanders in-game. He wants to show people how he is making his own unique one. He is having a hard time deciding what to "theme" it, there might be a lot of anime-esque ones, but he said he can't decide if he wants it anime-esque or not. I don't blame him, if you can have only one, how do you decide if you should make it a Gundam, or Big-O, or one of the mechs from Neon Genesis Evangelion (Angels?), or Megaman?