Dedicated Server Download Link?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by GossamerSolid, January 12, 2011.

1. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

The current build is not distributable and removing files will error out. We need to do some more work on our end for a proper build.
  2. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

Can I remove the movie files from the dedicated server or did you mean literally NO files could be removed.

I look forward to a smaller server build.
  3. gioccher

gioccher New Member

me too: on a server with SSD we don't have much space to be wasted with client files :)
  4. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

4 days till the game is out and we still do not have a real way to get the server.

Since you guys listed "Dedicated Servers" as a key feature on Steam (Anybody remember when Dedicated Servers weren't a "Key Feature", but rather a "Said Feature"), but you don't really have Dedicated Servers because everybody will be hosting them on their home connections which is worthless.
  5. Savage

Savage New Member

Welcome to the world of console ports. I always smile when I see comapnies mention mouse/keyboard support as a "feature" as well :roll:

It always amazes me how many game companies consider proper server support/tools on the PC as an afterthought, and it has killed many games with great potential on the PC (Section 8 comes to mind, among others). There should be a "minimum standard" before a PC game can be considered a "dedicated server", to include a standalone server client, not to mention reserved slots/admin tools (both of which always seem to be after thoughts as well, despite the fact that it's just common sense not to make the people who pay for the hardware stand in line to play on it).

I'm sure these guys will eventually get a standalone server client out....I just hope it's not weeks/months after the release, as that will likely be too late.
  6. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Have to respond on both these post .

First there is a easy way to get the server , all it means is that you have to install steam , you dont even have to keep it running . Proof is I have 11 servers running in two different data centers . Was not all that hard to get the files , less than 3 mins to down load them too. Kill steam and run the server . No worse than loading hldsupdatetool to update.

Second they are working hard at getting things right and have come a long ways and are listening to what we need. Give them a little time. Everything I have asked them for regarding servers as been worked on and they are still improving all the time.

Ive seen games released with no way to have servers and over priced games locked in to only one provider.
  7. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

We won't have a stand alone client by the time we launch but it's a priority after launch. We wanted to have it ready but getting the core game up to snuff came first.
  8. dustoff

dustoff New Member

thanks
  9. Freewheelin

Freewheelin New Member

I have to weigh in here too, but I'll start with a bit of a background of where I'm coming from.

I work for a company which created it's own in-house software called GameCreate http://www.gamecreate.com which works similarly to TCAdmin. We have seen literally millions of server instances run with our GameCreate server management panel. I create the new game entries and configure GameCreate to make running servers very easy for anyone with a dedicated server or VPS, right up to large GPS/ISPs that run thousands of game server instances on hundreds of machines in multiple data centres.

I'm also responsible for the installation and configuration of hundreds of public game servers on GameArena in Australia, as well as hundreds more server instances rented through GameArena.

The importance of having easily distributable/deployable stand alone server software is an absolute must for any server provider that runs anything more than 50 game servers for whatever games, and has been mentioned, the lack of easily dist/deployable server software when a game is going retail, can either make or break a game's online success.

Server administrators such as myself have seen a very unfortunate decrease in easy to configure, deploy and support game server software over the last decade. It seems to be an uphill battle to encourage game devs to do what they used to do.

There are a multitude of reasons to not do some things(not require steam installed, let alone run or logged in, not require the entire game be uploaded), and others that are absolute requirements for game server software and really it doesn't make sense for me to go into them all here.

I'll leave this on two things -
    In it's current state, I can't offer MNC servers in a rental environment due to limitations of the software, and just running it in one of our server farms(more than 100 physical servers) currently requires much more time/effort than should be, for a game that is not guaranteed success, partly due to the game's own software limitations.

Our company has written a comprehensive game server guide for game developers.
    Download the Mammoth Dedicated Server Guide http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/downloads/Mammoth_Dedicated_Server_Guide.pdf

That said, I'm glad to hear a decent solution is being made a priority.
  10. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

We've got a stand alone server files that we're still testing and will release soon after launch. It's weighing in about 350MB. We'd like to test with anyone that's interested in running it. PM me please.
  11. Freewheelin

Freewheelin New Member

Very interested in testing. PM sent.
  12. Humbug

Humbug New Member

Hi there,

Our community would also like to be considered to test this please.

Sending PM
  13. sac0o01

sac0o01 New Member

Sent a PM but haven't heard anything. When do you anticipate having this ready to go?
  14. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

same here, sent a PM 2 days ago.
  15. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

We're doing more testing with it internally, we should have some news shortly.
  16. DontPanic

DontPanic New Member

Well you've got my PM. Count me in if you need some help.
  17. xcalibur

xcalibur New Member

I PM'ed also. Count my community in.