Announcing Battle of the Beasts, The First Official Planetary Annihilation Tournament

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, March 20, 2014.

1. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

LOL.

LOL.

Maybe if you actually lifted bro.

BRAD: DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO?
    websterx01 and Clopse like this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I would have to respectfully say yes, I do disagree.
    I understand what you mean by feeling that the tournament is exclusive, but there are a number of reasons I think this is the right way round to do it.

1) In terms of logistics, it is much easier for Uber to make the first official tournament small and relatively easy to manage. Having 200 players, of varying skill levels, competing at the same time/day would be a lot of hassle when Uber aren't yet sure how to handle these tournaments.

2) I think it a good thing to do, to reward players that have been more active in the community so far, or have put more hours into playing the game/writing about it. I still agree that a wider reaching tourney should happen, I just don't think it should have preference. I imagine that the spectator base will be predominantly people who already own the game, and so they would be happy to watch "high level" players competing, so that they can learn some more advanced play styles.

3) Related to the last point, I think holding a tournament with more advanced players will be better at promoting the game. If I wanted to get someone into football, I would show them the FA Cup/Euro Cup/World Cup tournaments (high tier), not the Johnstone's Paint Trophy (bottom tier).
    Murcanic and mered4 like this.
  4. fensal

fensal New Member

BlueScreen-ISU and I are very interested to participate the 2v2 tournament on March 28. Is there a way to get in for Team ISU?
    Greeting Fensal-ISU
  5. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Look at the NFL, all football teams have a chance to participate, and despite not all games being triple a all star games, they do perfectly fine. Again what harm is done in allowing a more public tourny pool? If the good players are that good they will just end up to the finals. and uber can have their set matches.
    You characterize the players that were chosen as having received an award for spending more time playing the game, can i not use the same logic to say casual players are being "punished" for being "casual?"
    If your trying to get people to buy this game you need to appeal to "what is it they get in addition to the game" Community and online player experience. The problem is I don't see a community engaging in a tournament I see a private event. Its like the All star game in the NFL.... Has no bearing on the Big Game, it is just for fun.

Do you really think 200 people would sign up? look at the PACE tournaments..... Never that many people unless im missing a secret public attendance sheet or something. Also I'm going to assume Uber ent has greater capabilities as a staff to host a tourny then the PACE folks do.. So logistically I'm not seeing the problem. They are better off in every way then the PACE tournaments.

To summarize, I don't believe 200+ people would actually sign up for a public tourny.
    I don't believe uber isn't capable of organizing such a tourny even with 200 people in attendance.
    I dont like that participation in the FIRST Tournament will be an exclusive experience for 16 people and the rest of the community is audience.
    I do like the idea of an All-star Tourney
    I am excited for this tournament, despite my perceived short-comings.
    If i could get an explanation as to why the first Tournament is an All-star ONLY game before any other tournaments have happened that would be awesome. I am not mad i am curious and saddened as worst case.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

People often confuse us for a much larger company. We're small and we do things in a scrappy fashion to the best of our abilities. This tournament is a reflection of that. Going forward we will be putting more resources in to larger, more open tournaments. But if we were to do that now it would take development resources away from the core game that we need to finish. Our priority is obviously to get the game done. This tournament is the best we can do without disrupting our primary mission.

That said, I'm really damn excited about this!

Go 420 Dunk Squad! (That's the Easter team right? Right?)
    shootall, godde, DeadStretch and 5 others like this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

if its on a Saturday, I'll be shirtless, sporting the same style as you.

shame part of the time I'll watch tournament and rest I'll be asleep for work. Dang work days, these tournaments are never short too.

I don't mind them brackets either, I originally thought it was invitationals of last 3 Swiss tournaments, which were open enrollment. They are pretty nice about furnishing for casuals to play in tournaments.
  8. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Funny, most people I know become pantless as soon as they get home, but if ya'll wanna be shirtless - sounds good to me! (thankful there's no webcams for this tourney :p)
  9. mered4

I....can't...stop...laughing.....ahahhahahahaahhHAHAHAHHAHA
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Fair enough, I just don't see a problem with an official community tourney happening later.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

That really doesn't mean the same thing in the UK.
    cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You're right. except for the equalish skill.

Several of us who were invited are casters and are all rather crappy players when compared to the likes of Godde.
    cptconundrum and mered4 like this.
  13. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Well, once you get home - you can do whatever you want. No judgement here! :D
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  14. mered4

Um.

You have genders over there, right?

Ok.

Cool. :p
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yeah I kind of laughed when I saw who got invited. I'm not complaining about it or anything (and there's no shame in not being as good as Godde), it's just kind of funny to me that Uber might not actually know which players are the best at the game. On the positive side, we get to see a lot of streams and recordings of people getting destroyed from their own point of view!
  16. Quitch

Pants :p
    shootall and cptconundrum like this.
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah... it'll be interesting...

Training with myself and mered4 isn't going too well. I'm definitely the weak link.

I used to play a lot and was pretty good. Not amazing or a top player. But pretty good. And then I started putting most of my time into PA Matches, the forums, tutorials, the weekly newsletter, and casting. So... I haven't played much...

They should have had two tournaments. One for the good players. One for the casters – that way I'd have an actual shot at getting a custom commander!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

^ Ditto. :D Though with university work, poor internet etc
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

+1 for an official ladder
  20. Quitch

Players in this tournament who don't have PA Stats installed... go install PA Stats already! It'll allow ZaphodX access to even more information during his casting, plus it'll give some life to the PA Stats 2v2 league.
    shootall likes this.