Team Shared Resources Suggestion

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by fissure, March 21, 2014.

?

Do you want more options for team resource and army control?

1. Yes, and I like the ideas you had. These should be implemented!

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, but these ideas will not completely address the issue, and another solution is needed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, these are not the ideas I'm looking for.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. I like the idea of partial resource sharing.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. I like the idea of partial army sharing.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fissure

fissure Member

It has been bothering me how there are two choices:

1. No team sharing = if your com dies, you're out for the rest of the game, even if your teammate is doing great.
    2. Team sharing = if your com dies, you still have full access to their army AND your army. Con: 1 teammate can demolish the entire teams economy.

The addition of adding more game modes (i.e. Annihilation) will alleviate the com death = you're out of the game issue, but there are other features that I feel would be useful, especially once other game modes come out.

Proposition
    Create separate options for full resource, partial resource, full army and partial sharing.

Examples
    •Full army sharing = everything is shared completely...resources and armies.
    •Partial army sharing = units (and buildings) can have their control transferred to a specified player.
    •Full resource = all resources are shared as they currently are in the current form of "shared resources", but armies are exclusively controlled by one player, not all team members.
    •Partial resources = what you build with your units contributes only to your economy with the exception of excess, which is part of a shared resource pool. Perhaps even being able to manually set a % of your economy to be shared with the rest of your team to give them an extra boost, while maintaining enough of your economy to do what you need.
    vyolin and kryovow like this.
  2. Shalkka

Shalkka Active Member

I could also see how "share every unit but the comm" could be popular
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. fissure

fissure Member

At the same time, I've had times where I began constructing a fleet of adv. construction aircraft, and a teammate kept grabbing those same aircraft to build defenses while I was building them to speed-build power plants since we were running at a massive energy deficit. Sometimes, it's nice to know that nobody is going to interfere with your plans when you're on the same team...hence the ideas behind "partial sharing".
  4. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I like my own economy and army, but when I die my entire world dies with me.
    So if I built defenses around my ally and launched an attack before being nuked to oblivion, poof they are gone.
    I like the partial sharing idea, so that once my com dies my units would transfer over to someone else and maybe I can mount some kind of comeback. As it now exists, full sharing is much more advantageous.
  5. elwyn

elwyn Member

It would be nice to have a slider to adjust how much % of your income to share on the fly, and to be able to gift/share certain units of your choosing.
  6. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

being able to give units and/or buildings to your teammates sure should be possible.

also, share everything except your commander seems fine to me, among other options, but i don't really mind my teammates using my commander (as long as they don't get me killed)

but what i'm really in favor of is "transfer excess economy automatically" to your teammates : if you have more metal or energy than you can store, it should be automatically transferred to your teammates rather than lost. that just makes sense.

also, in team matches, when you die, everything you own should be transferred to your teammates, having everything blowing up is plain stupid, your team will already be handicaped by the lack of your management capacity, there's no point putting even more punishment by wrecking one third or a half of your total forces.

edit : but also, when you die, you shouldn't be able to do anything anymore, just being able to talk is already a decent help for your team.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

There is no YOUR com, nor YOUR army and THEIR army. You have to change the way you think.

I would not recommend to play with strangers, that should solve the issue for you.

In shared army, everything is everyone, you cannot really say "Stop stealing MY units".
    I agree on a note "Stop ruining our eco", that is totally valid.

But seriously, there is no YOU and OTHERS in shared army, you are (or supposed to be) a solid team, one unit.
    Methlodis and stormingkiwi like this.
  8. starrrlite

starrrlite New Member

We need TA Recorder's +setshareenergy, +setsharemetal and +shareall commands back ;)
    That also had an option to select a bunch of units and +share them to your ally, that would be awesome to have
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's exactly the point, can't you see?

one has attention span as an attackable resource and the other has the attention resource as (more or less) immune.

and this really is the best way to get this result. your suggestions would dilute this into not being the main focus of these options.

these are not the options I'm looking for.
  10. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Whilst true, most of the time you're going to work in a largely 'zone defense' way. Especially playing with randoms as the communication will be poor, but even with close team mates on teamspeak, other types of responsibility sharing are just very difficult to achieve with any sort of efficiency.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I don't know about that. @bradburning , @mishtakashi and I achieved pretty high levels of synergy in one game we had.

I think Brad and Mish were more tuned towards attacking, and I was more tuned towards defensive stuff and base management.

Then Brad was team lead so he was ensuring I was doing my job right. Majority of aggression definitely was not done by me. Some smaller skirmishes were organised by me however.

I think the key is the synergy of the team more than anything else.
    Martenus likes this.
  12. tatsujb

It really seems to me as if you have this opinion because you have not really extensively tried this with TeamSpeak and good friends (or better, people you just sync with when you play PA on fullshare together). I swear to you It's like becoming one person, it's really something else.

You're the left arm, someone else is the right, someone else is the head. Generally I'd do eco and main planet.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...mm-player-in-teamarmygames.55655/#post-853958
  13. trialq

Sure different players will have a focus like 'orbital', 'eco', 'nukes' etc, I wasn't suggesting it's a case of everyone does everything. I'm saying that it's probably easier to each have a section of land you call 'occupied', so people don't step on each other trying to fulfill their goals. It doesn't preclude team mates building on your territory, or doing anything team matey like distributing t2 fabbers from the first t2 factory.

'Main planet' sounds like a zone to me, maybe we're just arguing over semantics.
  14. tatsujb

no. If this is you're take on it, it's no surprise you have little success with this tactic.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I like the suggestions raised in the op. We as only talking more options here after all. I agree that full share is superb when working with someone you know. I've had a number of games ruined by being in shared teams with unsuitable team mates. Sometimes they are actively screwing everything up, others they are just new and tend to ruin the eco. I guess it's a bit like drifting from pacific rim- you need a compatible partner.
  16. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

The former is already planned, if I recall correctly, and I'm almost certain the latter is already implemented in ally matches.
  17. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i would imagine the best way to play with a team you know would be:

• Ressources completely shared
    • Army not shared, but transferable easily
    • if Commander dies, nothing happens, units survive as long as a friendly Commander still lives
    this will stop the team, that doesnt use share army, from having the disadvantage of losing all units of one player, if his Commander dies. But it will give the bonus of having a shared economy (if one player has a less good spot for ecoing for example) and the benefits you get for control of untis (no same players command same units by accident anymore)
  18. trialq

True I haven't had much success in team games, that doesn't stop me understanding what easily works and what needs a higher level of sync and skill to pull off. Every team game I've ever seen, including arguably high level play, each player had their own base to build on and work from (yes a persons focal point changed as the situation changed [and reactionary play was more spread], but it remained pretty much zone based). If you can successfully use a different method of play, I'd like to spectate some of your team games.
  19. tatsujb

team play is a true skill, and I love that Uber is taking it to the next level <3

I think you gotta give it more tries, to find a compatible person.

It takes awhile to find someone who thinks and reacts like you, with who it "cliks".

no homo.
  20. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

you can forget random teams with shared though. Find some players you have in teamspeak/skype/whatever

or hope for Uber to implement good ingame voice chat