Rocket Truck/Tank T1 Artillery

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by madmecha, March 17, 2014.

1. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Was chating with a friend and the topic of T1 Artillery came up and a thought. If T1 artillery is to good people will just spam them instead of going T2. So how about a rocket truck/tank? Rockets are unguided and generally a point and shoot without much thought for aiming.

This unit would have range like a artillery (or slightly less but more then other units) but the rockets would not be very accurate. They would hit randomly in the general area of what they were firing at. This would be them best at dealing with stationary targets or large groups of enemies but not all that great at dealing with a few spread out enemies that were moving.
  2. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I would really like to see more dumbfire rockets in this game. The Rocko and other units from TA that used them were some of my favorites.
    stormingkiwi and stuart98 like this.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

yea some sort of spray kind of unit would be nice
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is a pretty neat idea.

I like it.
  5. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I like this alot, would remedy the issue people have with turrets but would take a lot more time to take a tower out than the later game units.
  6. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Yay so far everyone likes it! :)

Ortikon - that was the though. It will take out turrets but not like later end units will. You also wouldn't send these out by themselves to snipe things due to how easy someone else ( a few bots) would pick them off. But tossing some into your group would be a very helpful addition to not only deal with turrets but enemy swarms as then their inaccurate rockets don't matter as much.
  7. Tiller

Tiller Active Member

I like the idea of changing the ground and ship scouts to being minor artillery units similar to this. The Scamper has the range and vision, plus it already shoots a dumbfire rocket over walls to directly hit turrets. Buffing Scamper DPS and nerfing turret HP could go a long way in making sort work of walled off turrets. Since everyone and their mother already builds walls with turrets, the relationship to standard ground units remains similar so they can still body block unprepared ground armies. But now you have a reason to build the a scout unit without having to resort to t2 or pelter creep. Scampers can't really hit moving targets and they're pretty weak, so even when massed they'll be steamrolled by any unit ground units.

We don't need an entirely new unit when we could just modify an almost useless existing one for the same role.
  8. Paappa

Paappa Member

I really like T1 rocket unit idea.

By Scamper do you mean T1 bot Dox or T1 vehicle Skitter? Is there unit named Scamper anymore? If I recall Dox were called Scampers.

I would make it so Skitter would have rocket turret as described. I would also lower it speed a bit to be slower than Dox. Dox would be a land counter to it as they would catch Skitters. One possible problem could be that the Skitter would have largest sight and weapon range in T1. Would it be OP?

Scout boats would turn in a excellent hit and run unit. as they have the speed and vision but would be out ranged by Orcas (Bluebottles) if they have intel.
    Last edited: March 18, 2014
  9. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah would be nice alright. Same range as turrets is all that's needed so you need to have radar with them to function best.
  10. superouman

superouman Post Master General

with a smaller sight radius so you can really take advantage of the radar.

But then again, once the player reaches shellers, why would he make the t1 artilery units. In our case, the sheller is a simple upgrade.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Was thinking more rockets and not artillery. A walled turret should still be an option as opposed to t1 artillery easily killing it while outside range.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. Tiller

Tiller Active Member

Yup. I get them mixed up. I keeping thinking the scout buggy is called the scamper. It's the skitter I'm talking about.

Though I don't think they could be OP. They can't hit moving targets and won't have any AOE. They'll still have scout unit HP and damage so they'd only be good at focus firing on structures, and since with this change Turret HP would be nerfed, it only really benefits from sniping turrets or maybe a few mexes if you leave them around long enough. I don't even think you need to slow them down. Skitters get rolled as soon as any combat unit moves towards it. Even if they run away they can't do anything once a few bots or tanks show up.
  13. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

The thought being that it would be firing multi rockets. So a T2 Artillery would be superior for killing 1 target accurately. The T1 Rocket Artillery besides giving you an option you never had in T1 would be superior at killing swarms vs a T2 Artillery (only due to rate of fire, and hoping things connect).