How to improve to PACE tournaments

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, March 15, 2014.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

There's no need for a mandate. If a colourblind player is in a game, all that needs to happen is "Hey, I'm colourblind, please could you choose a different colour?"
    mered4 likes this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You have to get 10 points in a tournament to go to the invitational. That basically means you need to win 5 games or win 4 and tie 2.

There is no *selection*
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Yeah, except in TS where there was discussion going on of what would happen if there weren't enough people with 10 points.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I was under the impression that the first and second person who have 8 points in each tournament would then be chosen.

I haven't participated in these tourneys since I got into the invitational for a reason - to help others along into getting in.

At the end of it, we'll have enough. We have 8 or so already, right?
  5. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Here's a list of things, primarily focused around streamlining:

On communication, I don't think either IRC or TeamSpeak are the right communication vehicles. Both suffer from incidental communication that represents noise for coordination, even in the tournament organize channels. Permissions in TS seem to be poor and often leave people unable to join the correct channel. If you fix that, I think it is useful for one-off consultation.

Players and coordinators should not need to go to IRC and try to filter through all the communication to find out the key bit for them, such as who's hosting my match and who am I casting. Really I think the tournament page should be enhanced to include that information and allow casters/players to indicate an outcome. If you're just going to believe what they tell you, you might as well give them permission to just update it. If you want some validation, you can have both players submit the result and only review it if there is a difference in submissions. For bonus points, put the whole page in the game as a mod and let people view the tournament status from there, join key games, etc. As we get invites working this will just get better.

I think the casters should just be randomized rather than having people pick. But you should randomize based on your rating system and where you think the most contentious battles are going to be. As the tournament progresses, you should fill up the top of the bracket first in randomized order. For bonus points, you could have the algorithm favor casters following a player through the tournament so they can talk about things that player has been doing leading up to that point easily from experience.

I think everybody should practice dual casting. It's pretty much industry standard, and learning to pass conversational control is valuable. Different casters have different strategic insights to share. And you can actually have more debate and story telling happen that way. Just have both casters broadcast to their own stream and let the viewers choose where to go. There's a finite amount anyway. The only thing you lose is having more games covered and I think that is worth it.

Casters should practice introducing the game, the streaming economy, and etc. This will help people new to the game learn how to get started or even understanding what they are seeing. I might choose only to do this for Round 1.
    Quitch, matizpl, cptconundrum and 5 others like this.
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Yeah this is something I'm working on.
    I feel the players don't need to submit their results. PAStats is a requirement and we can quickly check the results there. Doing some stuff to try to automate it even.

Hmm wondering how the invites are going to work.
    Will definitely look on adding this in a mod.

Can whip this up really quickly. But don't know how casters will react to this ?

PACE is still in BETA :p not GAMMA yet.
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I would find it quite nice myself. Would remove the need to familiarize myself with the ladder to get an idea of what a good match-up would be.
  8. proeleert

I'll program this, so quick suggestions could be given.
    Aargh so much stuff to do.
    cptconundrum and cwarner7264 like this.
  9. Quitch

I agree with everything @metabolical said except casters being put in randomised games.

Casters should be choosing because they can pick out the games which are going to be worth spectating, and that's not always by rating and some casters may know certain players better than others. Casters should familiarise themselves with the players by watching streams and looking at PA Stats because it makes for better commentary and is also pretty industry standard. You should know something about the people you're commentating on. When clopse was commentating on a game between myself and Zombiefan he was able point out that Zombiefan has more hours clocked in PA Stats than any other player, and that's the kind of thing I want to know.

Don't know the players? Then you should act as play-by-play caster and get a second who does know them to provide the deeper analysis.

The biggest issue for me in terms of communication though is that such a poor job is done of it up front. I shouldn't need to find out in IRC how games are going to be communicated, and waiting on casters, etc. I should know all this up front because it should be laid out step-by-step in the tournament document.

And on a personal note, if casters could refrain from constantly zooming in that'd be great. Every time you zoom in you're blinding me. I think @ZaphodX and @brianpurkiss have a really good balance here, and once brian gets his new computer he'll be able to rotate the globe a bit more often without starting a fire in his house :). Apologies to any casters who are great at this and I totally excluded, I'm not as familiar with everyone's work.
    Last edited: March 17, 2014
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

You might like a more constant zoomed out view, but I got requests to zoom in more to see more detail. I try to balance it out a bit.
    Methlodis likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Having completely randomized casting is a bad idea. It'll result in casters casting poor matches and good matches getting uncasted since we don't have enough casters to cast everything.

Also, the rating system has been tossed out. Mostly because people were butthurt about being rated.

Down the line dual casting could become more of a norm. But right now we don't have enough casters to cast everything, so we shouldn't have even fewer matches casted until we have more casters to make up for it.
  12. Quitch

My response is two-fold:

1. Casters need to make better decisions on when it's appropriate to zoom in vs. when it's not. If I can see something happening at the edge of the screen and then the caster zooms in to look at an air factory, it's very frustrating. Who knows what we're missing?

2. If the idea is to introduce people to the game, keeping zoomed out will be far better at showing them how the game actually works because that's where all the maneuvering is happening.

Zooming in looks great, but it should represent only a small portion of a cast and should happen only at low action points.
  13. proeleert

Feel free to write something up. This would help a lot.
  14. Quitch

I would, but it depends on what the PACE format becomes, TS, IRC, etc. I've written outlines for both, one in this thread and one in one of the tournament threads.
  15. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

You sponsored the martins mayhem. This last tournament had no sponser. I have no idea where that 50$ is going to come from for the winnings cause I ain't got enough money to sponser the regular tournaments and then the tournament I might host in may
  16. Quitch

The Martinus Mayhem tournament was marked as being sponsored by PACE. I checked back when it was running. The document still says it was sponsored by PACE, I just checked now.

I've already said I'll put up the money for three tournaments, but come on, how hard is it for someone to put a name in a file or on a web page? Sort yourselves out, please.
    reptarking likes this.
  17. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Quitch you American or european?
  18. Quitch

It's in my profile, so in the true spirit of my country: neither ;)