Fan and Community Art: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 11, 2013.

1. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Thanks, and yeah I'd like to do some modding when the games a bit more finished, I've talked with some of my friends that I've worked with in the past and they seem interested in doing some large scale stuff if we have time.

As for the 'tentacle things' on the front, the idea was miscellaneous sensors and other such apparatus, I feel like I've seen things like that on space ships before, but maybe I'm just remembering weirdly. As I said I'm not done with it yet so I'll try some alternative stuff for the front and see how it looks.

I agree about it being top heavy, I feel like it needs some amount of firepower facing every direction but I don't want to literally copy paste the same turret on to every face of the ship, so I'll see about making some different weapon types. and once the rest is armed I'll balance it out, maybe have less on the top.

Thanks for the feedback, don't hesitate to give me ideas.
  2. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

I made a few changes, Turrets are now inset so it looks like they are part of the ship as opposed to just stapled on the top, and the sensors on the front are more organised.
    [​IMG]

And I changed the weird cylinders on the side into Catapults.

[​IMG]

Both the Catapults and the Hanger can open up, in case I want to animate it.
    I could put more guns on, and I may do some large front facing cannons but I think a ship like this ones best defence against orbital fighters would be to launch fighters of its own from the hanger. or build them, maybe both. I was thinking of it more as a transport than a destroyer.
  3. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

This is some amazing work you have there sir, it would be a shame if an ubercannon happend to it.
    dionytadema and LavaSnake like this.
  4. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That looks a ton better now! I love the catapults on the side, that was a great idea!
  5. comham

comham Active Member

I prefer the old noisier "tentacles", they gave a better impression of a complex communication system and they're a well-used design element to break up the symmetry. To be honest it was also better without turrets, just as a space carrier, you already had the hangar element there, if you want a space battleship I would use a whole new model with a narrower sillhouette. Giving the cylinders catapault lids was a good move though.
  6. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Fair enough. I think I'll just wrap this one up soon and work on something new. I didnt really do any concepts for this because I was just experimenting with the PA art-style, and my ideas for what this one was going to be kept changing because I was never clear about it from the beginning.

But now I'm confident I can replicate the PA style pretty well, I'll spend more time planning out the things I want to make, so I'm not just making it up as I go along.
  7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

It's hard to get a quality shot of naval warfare. the Boats fire so sporadically.
    navy.jpg
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow, you captured the style perfectly!
  9. comham

comham Active Member

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Also, if you're the guide-writing-type, you clearly understand the PA style so intuitively even as an outsider, you're well placed to write a quick "how to" for other people trying to imitate it. If it were done at this point in time it would probably become the standard guide in PA modding in years to come.
    Last edited: March 16, 2014
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Here's what real coastal bombardment looks like.

[​IMG]
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Poor hummingbird, destroyed before he even had a chance to fight for his commander's cause.
    Er- I mean, DESTROY EVERYTHING!
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

sirmantron likes this.
  13. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Heres my interpretation of what a T1 Orbital factory would look like.
    Arms in building position:
    [​IMG]

Rear view:
    [​IMG]

Arms and lathes in idle position.
    [​IMG]

And a gif of it making things:
    [​IMG]
    (note that the thing its constructing is a crappy orbital fighter knock-off I spent about 3 minutes making because I don't have anything else for it to build yet. I'll revisit with better build animations when I have more things)

If you cant tell, I'm really looking forward to when they fully develop the orbital layer :)
  14. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

This is... Perfect.
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

If this forum allowed me to like something more than once, you'd probably have the most likes out of any forum member, and 90% would be from me, for this post.
    ArchieBuld and SolitaryCheese like this.
  16. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

And 9% from me. We'll leave the remaining 1% for the others.
  17. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Thanks guys :)

I suppose I could, though I'm not confident people really need a guide, the most important thing I did was to go into PA and take a bunch of screenshots, and then put them up when I was working.

Not that I'm against doing it, If enough people want it there's no reason for me not to, I know its nice to have a list of tips and tricks when your doing something new.
  18. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I think it's a brilliant design... I love It ! (developers should see it ^^)

Judging on the design it seems it's a one-way teleporter, but its more compact and sturdier looking, I would say that it could single-handedly made unit cannon and drop-ships of any kind obsolete... especially if you can link them when still on orbit (with armies already waiting) and then send couple of them in different places on the planet !
    Last edited: March 17, 2014
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

oh my gosh!

work for UBER, already! this is what the orbital engineer should look like.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

MOD IT IN! (After we get the tools to do so of course.)