Lobby option for nukes?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by maliciousupload, March 14, 2014.

?

How important would it be to have a Nuke option added within the next couple updates?

1. Very "UBER" important

18.2%
  2. Quite Important

21.2%
  3. I would like to see it but bigger balancing issues need to be addressed first

21.2%
  4. It doesn't matter to me

21.2%
  5. I do not want a nuke option implemented in PA

18.2%
  1. maliciousupload

maliciousupload New Member

I am curious how important within the next couple updates people would like to see a Nuke [Off]-[ON] option put into the lobby? If you do not want one please explain why. Thanks! :)
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

With how many features are missing...

This is a very very low priority.

PA has a lot of big stuff being planned. There's speculation that astroid belts will be added soon. There's also tons of bugs that need to be fixed. Orbital needs to be more flushed out. Performance needs to be improved. New units... the list goes on and on.

This is an extremely low priority.
    optica1x likes this.
  3. maliciousupload

maliciousupload New Member

i put a voting choice for your exact reasoning..... yet you choose that you would rather not have it.. unsubscribed :)
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The fix to nukes isn't allowing people to disable them, the fix is to make them not broken.
    iron420 and brianpurkiss like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

This ^

And since you have no interest in listening to people who have opposing views than you, and just want people to back up your opinion, so I shall unsubscribe from this thread.

The issue with nukes is a balance issue. Wait for the game to be properly balanced before you decide you don't want to play with them.
    spicyquesidilla and stuart98 like this.
  6. madmecha

madmecha Active Member

Honestly, no matter what happens to Nukes I would like to see an ON - OFF option. It fits certain peoples play styles of what they enjoy and it's something very easy to add to a game. Many RTS games have tech option trees this would be no different.

Priority wise right now? Questionable... on one hand it's not super important compare to other things. On the other hand certain other things are hard to figure out if they are balanced correct due to nukes being out of wack. Having a way to turn them off would allow people to play things without nukes in the mix to see how the balance works out.
    maliciousupload likes this.
  7. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

What is the issue with nukes?

They seem pretty decently balanced to me.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It's more them not being fun than not being balanced.

9. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

You might even be giving nukes too much credit there Stuart. If you are considering Nuke balance in the nuke/anti-nuke dynamic it's skewed to nukes because of the super limited range of the anti-nuke vs the nuke (the cost difference doesn't make up for it because it's still not feasible to protect expansions and armies). If you are talking about Nuke balance in the overall game i'd still say it's unbalanced because against a heavily fortified base or even a base on another planet 3 nukes is more cost efficient for effectiveness than the equivalent cost in bots/tanks/planes + teleporters etc. Not to mention an "I win" button is boring and not fun to boot, even when you win. Loosing to a triple nuke 20 mins into the game even with nuke defense? Even less fun...
    shotforce13 likes this.
  10. iron420

LOL Brian everyone can see you throwing those stones behind the glass walls of your house. You probably shouldn't be throwing them from such a vulnerable position. The problem with nukes is more than balance, its fundamental mechanics. I'm willing to say you are 100% wrong thinking it's anything less than that.
  11. brianpurkiss

Then head on over to one of those forum threads about nuke mechanics and try and convince people of your stance rather than just call people wrong without saying why. (and saying the fundamental mechanics are broken is not why, you gotta talk about why the mechanics are broken and what you think should be done to fix them)

This isn't a thread about nuke mechanics, so try not to derail it too much.
  12. iron420

You've checked out those threads right? I don't think it's possible to find a nuke thread on this entire board I haven't commented on lol. You don't remember that time I revived all nuke threads simultaneously? LOL. I could literally quote myself from most of them with the exact reasons, but there's no need to duplicate the content of this forum over and over. Those comments are in every.single.nuke.thread. A cursory search is all it takes to find them ;) You know how to search, right Brian?
  13. brianpurkiss

I am well aware of those other threads and I have read quite a few of them.

I was simply suggesting that you take your nuke mechanics discussion over to those threads rather than continue to derail this one.
  14. atts10164

atts10164 New Member

Pretty high importance personally, the whole concept makes it almost impossible to move to other planets as the enemy just nukes you as soon as you land any troops, it makes land, air and sea units irrelevant as orbital units are the only forces immune to nukes.

Some people like this, some don't, so a simple ON/OFF switch would be all i'm asking for, easily allowing people to choose for themselves what they want.

Doesn't it seem pointless to simply fight over whether to have them or not and just allow the choice?
  15. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

I dont want to see a on/off switch. At best it should be "nukes cost 10x more." Tacking an entire feature out of the game is quite silly and in the case of nukes just promoting "uber turtling."
  16. r6xsnakex

r6xsnakex New Member

I swear that Anti-Nukes need to just be over all buffed, because right now it's damn near impossible to do anything against a nuke spammer when nukes cost less themselves. Either that or nerf nukes but no one likes nerfs ;) Also if they were to buff the hell out of Anti-Nukes they could just increase the blast radius of Nukes in turn for it seems kinda small anyway.
  17. optica1x

optica1x Member

There is a reason game enders like nukes are present in a game.
    You could simply request that people who join your game to not build nukes. If they do, make a note of who they are and kick them in future games if they break your rule. ( obviously this aint a fix ) But an idea, but imo nukes are fine if your about to scout them. I see the mistake people make in this game is to sit in there base's and turtle up all day but forget to build anti nuke, gotta think of more ideas on preventing them rather than moaning about it. As mentioned game is still being made, the dev's have tones of stuff on there plate to deal with! they cant please everyone right away! Just be patient and good things come to those that wait :)
  18. allister

allister Active Member

It shouldn't be just nukes that can be turned on and off. All units should be able to be turned on and off. People, like me, like to occasionally play their games modified. I've always wanted to play a PA game where the only way to attack is by using one unit type like doxes or scouts. This game was built with mod-ability in mind, right?

As for nukes specifically: Yes, getting nuked is always complete BS on your part. But they do play a big role in the game. What do you do when your enemy has perfect ground defense, air defense, orbital defense, and artillery? Nuke the hell out of them. Without nukes, it would be nearly impossible to invade small guarded moons. At that time, you'll kick yourself for restricting nukes. I can't wait for some more balance changes with them. Maybe, one day, I wont get pissed off after getting nuked.
    nawrot likes this.
  19. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

As much as I think nukes are an important part of the game and don't need an off switch...

There is no reason not to implement it, and if I remember correctly the supcom games had that option too.
    You could have an advanced lobby options menu where you could toggle everything, turn off air units or orbital units or whatever you want, let people choose how they want to play. I still think the game is better played with everything on, but it could be fun to mix it up with your friends or the AI and try something silly like no T2.

It would be fairly simple to implement and it would make some people happy without effecting everyone else, so I see no reason not to put it in eventually.
    Still, its extremely low priority so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Edit: Just realised Allister said basically the same thing I did, my bad, I'll be more observant next time :p
  20. woutske

woutske New Member

Nukes are great and you should create larger bases / more anti nukes. That's all. I never had any problems with nukes just because I kept on sending army to the hostile so he doesn't even have time to think about nukes.