Any drawbacks of linking Linux-version to Steam?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ragnarroeck, March 14, 2014.

1. ragnarroeck

ragnarroeck New Member

Like mods that stop working, delayed updates on new builds, etc? I feel I'd support the game a little better if my time playing gets logged by Steam, but wouldn't want to trade in features, or being up-to-date. Could I still play the normal version, if Steam plays up like it did yesterday? Thanks for your time!
  2. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I am pretty sure that if you link your steam account, You can use both steam and the uber launcher to play the game :)
    ragnarroeck likes this.
  3. allister

allister Active Member

I don't believe there are any differences between using Ubers service and Steam. I got mine on Steam, you know, to have all my games in one place and you can easily add friends and chat (and all of the other Steam servies). If Steam is down you should be able to play in offline mode because the games are hosted on Uber servers. If you can't log in to Steam, you can still download the launcher and play that way.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You can switch back and forth.
  5. ragnarroeck

ragnarroeck New Member

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated. I will link it then.
    EDIT: Nope, didn't like it so far. Steam starts the new build, which says I should start it via Steam as I don't seem to have the game (basically) and Steam downloads the files after a forced Steam-verify for the third time.

[22:47:10.271] INFO Looks like this isn't the Steam distribution

Even tho started via Steam. I will look into this at some point.

EDIT2: After linking the accounts in Windows (the requester newer showed up under Linux) and luckily having created the Uber-Account already (as you can't put an "@" in the emails accounts address that pops up in the linking window...) everything seems to work fine under Linux/Steam now. So if you haven't got Windows, I wouldn't recommend linking RATM, which might just mean till the next patch.
    Last edited: March 15, 2014